PDA

View Full Version : Laminate replacement for AXIS - BOYDS

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

PDX1953
02-02-2014, 02:47 PM
I don't bed the barrel at all with exception of the area around the pillars. The front pillar is bedded in about a 1 1/2" square around the pillar and barrel. I use a dremel tool to remove about 1/16" to 1/8" around the pillar. The back pillar is a little harder. I only remove about 1/4" around the pillar itself so I have a good base around the pillar.

The front works out to be about .520" long and the back about .980"-1.020", depending how deep the trigger guard pocket cut. For the front pillar make sure the bolt can be threaded into the barrel about 3 threads before it locks down on the pillar. If you make the pillar too short and get too many threads it will lock up the action bolt. I cut the brass pipe with a drill press and hacksaw(be very careful), then sand them to a final length. I also rough up the pillars with a stone in the dremel.

I use JB Weld(NOT the 5 minute stuff) to bed the pillars. I'm sure there are better bedding materials, but I've had very good success with it.

I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and they really helped give me ideas. If I can take some pictures I'll try and post them.

Do you contour the pillars to the action so they sit as tight as possible?

jlnft
02-02-2014, 04:34 PM
No, the back pillar is flat against a bracket on the trigger and the epoxy fills in around the front pillar where it touches the barrel to make a nice fit.

Please don't take me as a "expert" or "Grizzly Veteran". I did a lot of research and asked questions to come up with my method. It doesn't make it right, but seems to work!! :p
I'm sure there's probably a better, easier way, unfortunately I very seldom take that path! ;)

Trigger Man
02-02-2014, 04:47 PM
I'm sure there's probably a better, easier way, unfortunately I very seldom take that path! ;)
I think we could be long, lost brothers?! Lol

thomae
02-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Do you contour the pillars to the action so they sit as tight as possible?

That's a good question. FWIW: Based on what I have read (famous last words, right? :rolleyes:), the way I do it is to leave the pillar tops flat when I bed my stock to the action. That way I still have Metal to metal contact along the axial centerline of the action screwholes and the bedding material holds the action in the correct spot so there is no side-to-side rocking or twisting. If I were to try to contour the pillars to the action, I would probably not be able to get it exactly right and would likely add stress of one kind or another. I do have the means and ability to make a flat cutoff, however.

YMMV.

patrolit
02-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Has anybody found the need to bed (pillar and/or glass) these Boyd stocks?

Yes yes... I have had to make a front pillar, and I am in process of working out the bedding side of it...

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?32947-Beware-front-pillar-in-Boyds-Axis-stock

Jay24bal
02-03-2014, 11:43 PM
FWIW, the new stocks are coming shipped with a red dot to duplicate the original safety marking.

I ordered one stock as soon as they were available and it did not come with this. The one I ordered on 1/7 and arrived today, did have the safety marking.

RP12
02-04-2014, 12:15 AM
That's a good question. FWIW: Based on what I have read (famous last words, right? :rolleyes:), the way I do it is to leave the pillar tops flat when I bed my stock to the action. That way I still have Metal to metal contact along the axial centerline of the action screwholes and the bedding material holds the action in the correct spot so there is no side-to-side rocking or twisting. If I were to try to contour the pillars to the action, I would probably not be able to get it exactly right and would likely add stress of one kind or another. I do have the means and ability to make a flat cutoff, however.

YMMV.thomae is correct. Besides on the Axis, the rear pillar sets on a flat trigger housing right ? So you wouldn't radius the top of that pillar anyway.

KS Yote Junkie
02-04-2014, 01:05 AM
Mine also came in today! ordered 12/13/13 It also came with the painted safe marking! Great looking stock!

justinc68
02-04-2014, 10:27 AM
I have a 30" bull pac nor barrel 22-250 AI barrel id like to put on a 223 axis. Will a boyds stock handle this barrel if i sand out the barrel channel? anything else id have to do to the Boyds stock to make it fit properly?

Other than a new bold head, magazine, and stock, is there anything im missing to do this conversion?

LoneWolf
02-04-2014, 10:34 AM
I have a 30" bull pac nor barrel 22-250 AI barrel id like to put on a 223 axis. Will a boyds stock handle this barrel if i sand out the barrel channel? anything else id have to do to the Boyds stock to make it fit properly?

Other than a new bold head, magazine, and stock, is there anything im missing to do this conversion?

You'll have to find a way to hold the butt stock down. It's going to be very muzzle heavy. Make sure that you get a model that you can drill out the butt stock to add weight.

justinc68
02-04-2014, 10:53 AM
Ok that makes sense. Is there any information out there how to do that? what models do you think would work? maybe i should go with the Sharp Shooter Supply stock and spend the extra money for it?

lotusboyrulz
02-06-2014, 01:50 PM
I got my stock in on Tuesday. I love it . I hope I can take it shooting and do some comparison shots.

Rogeritall
02-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Just ordered myself a Boyd's Left Handed Thumb Hole stock in Nutmeg. I hope the turn around time on the order is pretty quick. It said it was in stock, so I'm hopeful that it will ship fairly soon. I don't know why, because the way the weather is going it will be July before I get to go to the range again anyway. But, at least I can work on my Axis and dream of an early warm Spring.

cap10pd
02-06-2014, 09:41 PM
I just so happened to order my Left hand FT in Forrest Camo today also...cant wait to snap it on...also got a UTG bipod coming from Amazonhttp://www.boydsgunstocks.com/content/Boyds/images/options/07.jpg

2111 Marine
02-08-2014, 04:01 AM
still waiting on mine !!!!:confusion:

joelmarley
02-13-2014, 06:33 PM
Still waiting on mine too... Just what does Awaiting Shipment mean. That has been my status for 2 weeks now.

Rogeritall
02-13-2014, 11:55 PM
Received my Left Hand TH in Nutmeg today. Not a bad turn around time. I ordered it on the 6th and got it on the 13th. Probably because I ordered it early before they ran out of stock. When I ordered mine it said they were "In Stock", and about an hour later they were out of stock.

Long story short... Fits great, looks great, and I'm very happy with it. No fitting or trimming, or anything needed. Photos hopefully to follow soon. :)

joelmarley
02-14-2014, 06:54 PM
I ordered mine in 1-19. On 1-27 they said on here that all Axis stocks currently on order would ship that week. My status change that week, must still be waiting on the mailman. :adoration:

cap10pd
02-15-2014, 03:52 PM
Just got my FT the other day, ordered on the 6th....like the stock but I'm disappointed with the finish of it, its a dull finish, looks like just one coat of a poly, not glossy at all.. Anyone else disappointed, and is there anything I can do the to "re-finish" or add additional coats of Poly, or anything else to brighten it up???

joelmarley
02-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Got Mail!! Mine shipped Saturday.... Thanks to all of you at Boyds.