PDA

View Full Version : Axis Pro Hunter Stock Now Available!

LoneWolf
10-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Already posted in my build thread but I figured I would add this as well!

Email I received this morning/info on the stock itself:

Hi Phil.
The boss tells me he reads on the forum board how much you like your stock.
We are pleased.

You can unbutton your lips now and let people know where you got it. We told our website fella to go ahead and put them on there.
We have a couple dozen in stock now. ;)

Thanks Phil.

Lisa
SSS

Brought to you by Sharp Shooter Supply!

The new AXIS ProHunter stock
Since it’s debut in March of 2010, the Axis rifle has made a huge splash as budget entry-level rifle for new shooters. Many have taken advantage of it’s low retail price and it’s proven out of the box accuracy, only to want more as far as upgrades. While the Axis is an accurate rifle it was engineered to be manufactured to a specific price point. One of the cost cutting measures was to injection mold the stock with an integral trigger guard and magazine retention system for mass production. We have had 100’s of requests for an upgraded stock, but because of it’s unique design we had to “think outside the box” to make a system that worked with the new poly magazines.

These new laminated stocks are a universal design that lends itself to be versatile to hunting or just punching paper. The 2-1/4” wide low profile beavertail forearm provides a stable platform when shooting from a rest as well as filing your hand while hunting and offhand shots. The pistol grip is more vertical than the factory version for more comfort and the toe angle is less for more stability off of sand bags.

The barrel channel and action inlet are precision inlet on CNC equipment to insure 100% drop in fit. The magazine inlet is equipped with the proper hardware to insure the magazine is positioned properly. The stock is inletted to accept a factory model 10/12 trigger guards and uses the existing factory action screws.
All stocks come finish sanded and are ready for a final finish and supplied with a trigger guard. Available in RH, LH, and short or long magazine.

Colors available at this time: black, black/brown, forest camo, royal jacaranda and red/black.
Price: $225.00

LoneWolf
10-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Stocks are up on the site http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

Inebriated
10-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the update! What are your thoughts on this vs. the Boyd's, which is $125 less? They're excellent-looking stocks, for sure. Might have to get the Forest Camo version.

*I'm assuming the Boyd's is going to cost $100, since that seems to be their going rate*

LoneWolf
10-08-2013, 07:06 PM
I haven't seen or played with the boyd's stock yet, but this stock is rock solid and CNC'd specifically for the Axis action. It's nothing short of what you would expect from SSS workmanship. I don't think it actually needs to be glass bedded, I did add a rear pillar, but I'm still debating the glass bedding. I easily opened up the barrel channel for the Varmint Contour Barrel, plenty of room for the Adjustable plate I installed, as well as the karsten cheek riser. If you were keeping this as a stock for a hunting rifle with the sporter barrel you wouldn't require to do anything else to the rifle besides put some good glass on it.

I'm waiting to see what Boyd's puts out as well.

Inebriated
10-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Yeah, everything points to it being a top-notch stock. I can't wait to see Boyd's offering, and compare the two. I would like to get both, just to feel like I'm doing something in getting the ball rolling on the Axis aftermarket. No stocks for what, four years? And now there are two new options within two days (assuming they deliver on tomorrow's release, of course)! That's a huge step for the rifle.

LoneWolf
10-08-2013, 07:18 PM
I agree. I picked the Axis up knowing that Savage rifles had good after market support only to find that the Axis wasn't on that list yet!

But I got fortunate and got one early, so I was hoping by spreading the work about it in my build thread it would help get the motors turning. I would still love to get a worthy synthetic down the road, but I'll take laminate as a strong starter. I like the classic tactical look my build took too anyways.

Inebriated
10-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Classic tactical... Classical? :D

And yeah, I got both my Axis rifles thinking I'd leave them with the factory plastic, with the intentions of having little beater hunting rifles, and leaving my 111 for the range. Well, that idea worked on the .30-06, which has assumed the role of brush gun, but the .243 is far too accurate and fun to shoot to be left in that stock, so it's going the same route as your rifle. I shoot the Axis's more than the 111 at this point.

BWB
10-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Looks like tomorrow on the Boyds. Found this link:

http://youtu.be/hbvRG0rDgK0

LoneWolf
10-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Looks like boyds will offer more options and a more classic butt on their stocks, but I'm happy with the ProHunter because I'm not a fan of the thumb hole and like the more vertical grip. Either or I think you are going to get the same performance. It all comes down to taste after that!

"Inebriated (http://www.savageshooters.com/member.php?22240-Inebriated)" Classic tactical... Classical? :D" Nice spin on the words!

LoneWolf
10-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Finally got into Boyds website. I've noticed that the boyds stock appears to have the magazine catch sitting on the wood where SSS took the time to reinforce it with metal. You can see this in the pictures of the inletting on my build thread. So it may work out ok, but I wonder if over time it will develope seating issues for the magazine? It also does not appear to have any pillars at all and isn't reinforced in the same manner as SSS's ProHunter Stock.

If this is all the case based on the pictures I looked at I can see the $125 difference very clearly!

And if building a long range gun the Pro Hunter should be the best option.

Inebriated
10-10-2013, 01:01 AM
I noticed both of those as well, and they don't have the Forest Camo in stock... Pro Hunter it is, at least for my .243. I still want the thumbhole featherweight on something, though.... Does that justify a new Axis?

LoneWolf
10-10-2013, 07:55 AM
I think I'll be building another. They're very easy to work on and I like the enclosed action look better than the open action look on the 10-110. Plus I can always do a Pillar bedding job on it myself. The Thumbhole is kind of starting to interest me more do to it's vertical style grip. But I would spend the extra money if SSS inletted the LVT stock for the Axis.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2