PDA

View Full Version : Aww Nuts!

Pages : [1] 2

joe h
10-08-2013, 10:22 AM
So I got my so called stainless barrel nut from midwayusa, I wasn't all that impressed with the looks of it. Talk about ugly! So I took it to the glass bead blaster at work. Dang! Think I'll be blasting all kinds of stuff now! Lol
Before and after:
http://i.imgur.com/vWgMXTU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WZVpBkG.jpg

sharpshooter
10-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Are you sure it was stainless?

joe h
10-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Ha! No I'm not sure, the package said it was. Terrible looking huh? I'll know soon if it rusts really bad wether or not it's stainless! Lol

snowgetter1
10-08-2013, 05:19 PM
The bead blaster did a heck of a job. I might have to get one of those.

03mossy
10-09-2013, 10:38 AM
much better!!!!

davemuzz
10-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Your nuts look much better. And no, I'm not that kind of guy. BTW....if you ever take apart your bolt face, watch out as you may lose your tiny balls. I lost my tiny balls once and had a forum member send me some tiny balls he had in a package.

Tim300wsm
10-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Just take a magnet to it if it sticks its not stainless

stangfish
10-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Just take a magnet to it if it sticks its not stainless

Not true.

efm77
10-09-2013, 02:28 PM
+1 with stangfish. Never understood that theory. Stainless steel is still steel which contains iron. Iron is what is magnetic. Only difference is stainless also contains chrome and nickel that makes it harder and corrosion resistant. How much chrome and nickel it has in it depends on the grade of stainless it is. A magnet sticks to all of my stainless rifles.

rattfink
10-09-2013, 02:36 PM
+1 with stangfish. Never understood that theory. Stainless steel is still steel which contains iron. Iron is what is magnetic. Only difference is stainless also contains chrome and nickel that makes it harder and corrosion resistant. How much chrome and nickel it has in it depends on the grade of stainless it is. A magnet sticks to all of my stainless rifles.

Austenitic stainless steel will exhibit negligable megnetic properties if it has been annealed.
Stressing the metal by grinding, hammering, or perhaps bead blasting it (?) may greatly increase its magnetic properties.

Ferritic SS is magnetic.

http://www.aws.org/w/a/wj/1998/11/kotecki

wbm
10-09-2013, 02:41 PM
So are you saying that if Dave's tiny balls exhibit negligible magnetic properties they may be Austenitic? :confused:

efm77
10-09-2013, 02:51 PM
LOL! Thanks for the link rattfink. Very informative. I don't claim to be an expert. Just saying everything I've ever been around that was stainless was still magnetic. The link didn't specify but I'm guessing the Austenitic stainless steel still has iron in it too? I was always under the impression (conventional wisdom) that steel was made from iron and carbon, and then other alloys were added to give it varying properties (ie. chromium and nickel for stainless).

rattfink
10-09-2013, 07:05 PM
LOL! Thanks for the link rattfink. Very informative. I don't claim to be an expert. Just saying everything I've ever been around that was stainless was still magnetic. The link didn't specify but I'm guessing the Austenitic stainless steel still has iron in it too? I was always under the impression (conventional wisdom) that steel was made from iron and carbon, and then other alloys were added to give it varying properties (ie. chromium and nickel for stainless).

Oh I am no expert. I learned those things when researching to win an argument on the same subject on another forum. Turns out, we were both right. :)

davemuzz
10-09-2013, 08:19 PM
So are you saying that if Dave's tiny balls exhibit negligible magnetic properties they may be Austenitic? :confused:

Well....it was all good until you toss in that "Austenitic" word.

stangfish
10-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Well....it was all good until you toss in that "Austenitic" word.

Just think Austen Powers!

rattfink
10-09-2013, 08:39 PM
This thread has taken on a character I did not anticipate. Gotta say.

joe h
10-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Shiny things always attract attention! Lol

davemuzz
10-09-2013, 09:58 PM
That works when I go fishing.

thomae
10-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Back to topic please.

sharpshooter
10-11-2013, 12:03 AM
There are 2 ways to determine if it is stainless:
1. Barrel nuts in the "raw" can look the same ,stainless or not. To identify stainless nuts at the factory, there is a groove cut on the inside of the thread relieved part on the front end. Same is true on stainless receivers, the groove is cut on the underside of the tang.

2. If you are not sure, hit it with some cold bluing. If it colors, it is NOT stainless.