PDA

View Full Version : Retaining pin

243LPR
10-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Just got back from the range and had I problem I've never heard here. The bolt wouldn't close all the way until I opened it and then closed it again. When I was all done I noticed half of the bolt head pin laying on the bench.I pulled the bolt and the other side fell out in my hand. Anybody ever have that problem? Luckily Midway has them in stock and I ordered one right away,actually in stock.

stangfish
10-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Interesting. It broke at the hole I'm sure.

BillPa
10-05-2013, 06:00 PM
I've mentioned many times before the wisdom using snap caps when dry firing to prevent the possibility of fracturing the retaining pins, especially the older .140"s.

In the absence of a primer or snap cap the protrusion nut slams into the bolt head shaft and that hammer blow is transferred to the retaining pin. Although its a rare occurrence it may be the cause in this case.

BTW 243, if your in dire need or can't wait for the new one I have a .095" pin here you can borrow until the new one arrives.

Bill

RP12
10-05-2013, 06:32 PM
No dry firing, now you tell me.

243LPR
10-05-2013, 09:11 PM
It's the large hole pin,and yes it broke right at the thin spots. Thanks Bill,but I can wait for the replacement. It's mainly a bench gun.