PDA

View Full Version : 10ML/10ML-II: How happy are you with your savage muzzleloader?

Pages : 1 [2]

D hunter
09-20-2009, 08:38 AM
I am very pleased with mine but it took a while to get there. I started with mine using Wal-mart bullets and sabots. Couldn't get them down the barrel, no ignition. Got that fixed with MMP black sabots. Tried several locally available bullets. Couldn't get it to stay on paper at 100 yards with power points nor barnes spit fire TMZ's. Then went to 250 gr XTP's with 44 gr of 5744 and accuracy and consistency was there. That combo worked great in my gun. The 300gr and N 120 also worked well.

As to the gun itself, Right out of the box it was a bit rough. Most "right out of the box" guns are. This one was a bit more than usual. After 4 years of use the rough has been mostly polished by use. Plastic stock seems a bit stamped out. The trigger is excellent. I like the position of the safety. It is right where you need it. It is great not to have to clean it after every range session. You MUST(at least on my rifle) clean out the breach plug after 15-30 rounds or it gets full of carbon. This can affect accuracy. A drill bit (5/32) is the right size. It is pretty quick and easy to do with the breach plug out for cleaning the rifle. Usually I clean it before and after the season or if I have a particularly long range session. My gun is a SS/S. I have had it out in several frog stranglers. I did wipe it down on returning to camp, however the trigger guard corroded to a surprising amount. Slight amount of tinged rust on the outside of the barrel. It will get a coat of paint after this hunting season.

It may seem like I am giving lots of negative on this rifle. I am picky. I am used to custom and semi custom rifles that are just that. Custom. Overall this is the best ML rifle I have used. Once dialed in it is as accurate as I could ask for. I will not be buying another ML rifle. This is the one. "D"

Turkey68
10-06-2009, 04:00 PM
After purchasing my Savage I tried several different loads. Some factory recommended loads, some not so recommended. The first coupe of times at the shooting bench had me wondering if I had made a good purchase or not. Then I started taking everyones advice and letting it cool. I only let mine cool a few minutes after every 2nd shot. I have found a load that my gun shoots extremely well. It is consistently shooting 0.5 - 0.75 groups at 100yrd. The last trip to the local shooting range I was busting water filled 2ltr and milk jugs out to 300yrds. I have shot about 3lbs of powder through my Savage and have only cleaned it 6 times. Try that with Triple 7 or any other substitute. There is no comparison on the price per shot. Pellets are very expensive per shot. It is actually cheaper for me to shoot my 300 Win Mag than you can shoot a standard muzzleloader. I cant wait to shoot a deer with this gun to see the on game performance. I know it is hell on a milk jug. I highly recommend the Savage. All things considered, there is NO COMPARISON. ;D

leroy adkins
11-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Cleaning goes away, cost per shot drops, accuracy goes up, and you can see where you are shooting-- all good things. No hinged-pin hammer gun can compare with the fast lock-time AccuTrigger / Savage short-action, nor can hammer-gun triggers.

1.5 in @ 100 yards is promised by Savage out of the box; 1-5/8 @ 250 yards is the best I've been able to get which is more accuracy than can really be used in the field.

Jim Baker has shot some 1/4 in. groups @ 100 yards with his with iron sights, but he ain't right. :-\
the 50cal bullet is biger than 1 forth of an inch

bythebook
11-06-2010, 05:17 PM
That is center to center of the holes.

ourway77
11-23-2010, 01:34 AM
Hello everyone. FYI Savage has stopped production of the ML'erII, No longer being made. Why? So if you have your heart set on getting one you had better do a quick search as the are becoming scarse. One of the best ML'ers I ever had wouldn't sell mine for boo coo bucks Lou

RandyWakeman
11-23-2010, 01:25 PM
http://randywakeman.com/Savage_Ceases_10ML_Production.htm