PDA

View Full Version : Breaking pins...ARGGG!!

Texas Solo
10-04-2013, 09:00 PM
I just began loading 308 and got a hold of some once fired military brass for free. I know I'll have to swag the pockets, no biggie. But I can't get them sized without breaking the decapping pins. I expected them to be a bit tough the first time, but I've broken two pins and haven't sized even one case yet. What am I missing here??

JW
10-04-2013, 09:08 PM
I am not positive but I think a lee die will do the job
Just a guess though
Hope you get it figured out
Jack

big honkin jeep
10-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Is it Berdan primed brass? (two flash holes?) I've broken a decapping pin on that stuff before. If it is then the recyclers are your friends.

stangfish
10-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Is it Berdan primed brass? (two flash holes?) I've broken a decapping pin on that stuff before. If it is then the recyclers are your friends.

I've never done that. But I learned to look into that stuff with a flashlight if I'm not sure....OK I lied. I think I broke two also. They were lee.

big honkin jeep
10-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Mine too were Lee. I talked to a nice lady, I think her name was Mary, that sent me out a new decapping pin free of charge even though I told her what I had done.

Texas Solo
10-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Some beach. I just looked into the flash hole.....or should I say holes. Boy, so I feel like an idiot.

Thanks guys.

big honkin jeep
10-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Been there, done that. There aint nothin to it :) Now if you go break a third one on the same case THEN you can feel like an idiot :)

Without knowing I actually was able punch through some old British .303 that was Berdan primed before breaking my pin, I cleaned up the flash holes with a uniforming tool, put boxer primers in em and shot em.

devildogandboy
10-04-2013, 10:17 PM
yep, there's not much you can do that hasn't been done before! I made the same mistake many, many moons ago.

Bruce

MacDR
10-05-2013, 08:12 PM
The last time I hit a Berdan case my Lee FL sizer pin slipped up through the collet as it is designed to do. The neck sizing die pin has nowhere to go so I don't use it on brass that is new to me. BTW you can deprime Berdan brass using water and a wooden dowel. Look it up on utube.