PDA

View Full Version : Boyds Savage Axis Stocks coming on 9 October

Pages : 1 [2]

mdewitt71
10-23-2013, 02:54 PM
That is the Prairie Hunter and it is one very nice piece of work.... I actually had to send it back but, I came home from a Church activity to find out my replacement stock has arrived but, I was not home and have to get it at the Post Office Monday.
I am super excited and will get pics up of it installed once I bring it home.

OK so it wasnt my stock that came in the mail, that I had to go to the post office n sign for....
It was a certified letter of the recall of the stock I already mailed back to Boyds.
I have been told via a phone conversation though, that my stock was being put on an engraving machine so hopefully I will be seeing the real package on my doorstep soon.....

Pseum0
10-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Does anyone know how these stocks would handle a bull barrel? I want to upgrade the barrel on my 30-06 eventually and i'd like to get a heavy barrel. Is there adequate clearance for the barrel channel or will i need to remove some stock?

LoneWolf
10-23-2013, 04:50 PM
You'd have to open it up yourself.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Pseum0
10-23-2013, 05:18 PM
is that on a specific model or on all 3?

LoneWolf
10-23-2013, 05:28 PM
All 3 I would imagine. These are mass production so they're all the same.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

fsr402
10-24-2013, 10:07 AM
A wood dowel wrapped with sandpaper and a little time and the bull barrel will fit. But as posted you will have to do it yourself.

LoneWolf
10-24-2013, 10:18 AM
If you want a real shooter I would recommend one of the SSS stocks as the Boyds stocks aren't reinforced in the same manner. You would have to reinforce it yourself. SSS would be more likely to open up one of their stocks for you prior to shipping it out if you contact Lisa she will see if Fred can help you out. I did mine myself on the Pro Hunter and on the Pro Tac Fred had already inletted for the Varmint Contour Barrel.

Pseum0
10-24-2013, 03:51 PM
well, I'm pretty new to shooting. (a little more than a year) when I build a "dime" gun it'll be on a 10 action, not the axis, that, or a blueprinted 700. but for now, learning the basics, and eventually expanding a little, the boyds will probably do me just fine. i just thought it'd be a nice option for later.

LoneWolf
10-24-2013, 03:59 PM
well, I'm pretty new to shooting. (a little more than a year) when I build a "dime" gun it'll be on a 10 action, not the axis, that, or a blueprinted 700. but for now, learning the basics, and eventually expanding a little, the boyds will probably do me just fine. i just thought it'd be a nice option for later.

Understandable, but you could have a dime gun with the Axis you have right now with a solid platform. It really is a good action. I built my Axis to compete against the Remi's, McMillan's, and GAP's because I was told it wasn't possible. There are still things it may not do as well, but it definitely gets the job done that I wanted it too and it hangs for sure.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a510/PJ0527/DSCN3957_zpse793b42f.jpg

Pseum0
10-24-2013, 04:46 PM
I wanted to mention i still want to use it for hunting. that's why i went 30-06 for the chambering ;) so i think that boyds stock is still the ticket. good to know that i can pick up another axis for the sick nasty build though. That makes me happy since i like the action WAY better than my buddy's remmy700

Pseum0
10-24-2013, 05:46 PM
also, from what I understand, The XLR chassis systems are able to be prefit to any action... I might have to call them up and see if they cant work out something.

LoneWolf
10-24-2013, 05:51 PM
also, from what I understand, The XLR chassis systems are able to be prefit to any action... I might have to call them up and see if they cant work out something.

Guess I'm in between classic and modern. The full chassis systems are definitely nice, but there is just something that feels great on a rifle with a perfectly shape wood or laminate stock!