PDA

View Full Version : E.R. Shaw savage rifle ?

hershey
10-03-2013, 06:59 PM
hi all, haven't been hanging out here much but I was at the local show last week and traded into an er shaw mk XII rifle, it is for all practical purposes a savage action head spaced like a Remington, is this old news or is it something new or something special? if its old hat point me to the old discussions, if its new to you, i'll document it and figure out what it is.

stomp442
10-03-2013, 07:11 PM
These have been around for a while. Shilen also makes a similar rifle except that it uses a Remington clone but uses a savage style nut.

pdog06
10-03-2013, 10:50 PM
google is your friend.

http://www.ershawbarrels.com/shaw-precision-guns.php

efm77
10-04-2013, 06:41 AM
Yep they've been around a while. They get the actions from Savage and then put their barrels on them shouldered with their own stock designs.

davemuzz
10-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Just for kicks....a few weeks ago I "punched in" what I wanted in their custom build your own rifle. Then I hit the send button. Then next day I got back a quote which was fine.....but then they told me it would take a year to build!!! What!!! A freaking year!!!

efm77
10-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Yeah, they're way behind or maybe just slow. I ordered one barrel from them and it's fine but won't do it again because of the wait time. Other manufacturers take a while too but Shaw seems to be the slowest. Their prices are good but man they're slow!

stangfish
10-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Other manufacturers take a while too but Shaw seems to be the slowest.
Could it be because they supply oem barrels for a major manufacturer

243LPR
10-05-2013, 05:11 PM
I waited over a year for a Shaw barrel from a group buy at Gun Shack. I'm glad it's a shooter,but won't be ordering any more.

Cycler
10-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Could it be because they supply oem barrels for a major manufacturer
Their plant and their new retail shop are within 5 miles of my home.

Yes, they supply oem barrels for a major manufacturer, they supply M16 barrels to a contractor to the US military.

efm77
10-06-2013, 08:41 AM
"Could it be because they supply oem barrels for a major manufacturer"

I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I was under the impression they supply barrels for more than one. Anybody know who they make barrels for?

Maztech89
10-07-2013, 02:57 PM
savage Rimfires I know for sure as my 17HMR says it on the barrel. I live a couple hours away and handled a few of their guns in the new retail store. very fine looking guns, really wanted to bring home the 260 they had. Went down the street to the machine shop and picked up a 22-250 barrel on the shelf and it's the best shooting, easiest cleaning barrel I have. Never have seen copper in it. More than happy for what it cost me. Is it a Bartlein, no. But it didn't cost half of one either. I wouldn't hesitate to get one of their rifles if I could stomach the wait time. call the retail store, they might have one that matches your needs sitting on the shelf. they were also trying hard to get me to buy one, offering a nice discount.

efm77
10-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Really? I thought Savage made their own barrels. I mean, I'm sure they get the blanks from a supplier but I was under the impression they rifled them, chambered, threaded, contoured etc. Maybe just the centerfires?

Maztech89
10-08-2013, 05:37 AM
Well I guess they could be buying the turned and spiral flutes blanks and then finish them off? I doubt it though. Remember the Rimfires are made in Canada in a separate plant...

I'm sure Fred or Stang will be along with the facts about the center fire barrels, but I've always heard they're doing their own.

stangfish
10-08-2013, 06:43 AM
We will have to wait for Fred or Jim on this one.

jonbearman
10-08-2013, 11:33 PM
The video I saw was at the factory and they were rifling their own.

efm77
10-09-2013, 06:43 AM
Yeah I knew they made the rimfires in Canada. I guess that could be the difference. I'm with jonberaman, everything I've seen on the centerfires shows them doing everything on the centerfire barrels. Maybe they get blanks from them without having a finished bore too because I know they claim they button rifle their own barrels. I'll be curious to see what Fred or Jim say.

stomp442
10-09-2013, 12:06 PM
I have always heard that shaw made savage barrels as well as the Adams and Bennet line that used to be sold by midway. I have a few A&B barrels and a few shaws, they all shoot amazingly well.

efm77
10-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Yeah I knew they made the A&B's. I wonder if they make any for major manufacturers like Remington, Savage, etc. If Savage rifles theirs themselves I don't see how they're supplying to them unless they're just sending them the blank tubes and Savage does the rest from there. I'm talking about centerfire though, not rimfire. Everything I've ever seen on their plant shows them doing everything from pulling the button through the barrel to make the rifling, to contouring it, chambering it, and threading it. I know Ruger says they hammer forge theirs so they're out. I'm pretty sure FN is making the barrels for the Model 70. Brownings are made overseas although I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility for them to be shipping barrels to Belgium and Japan.