PDA

View Full Version : SAMMIE Chamber

aimatit
10-02-2013, 10:00 PM
I have a model11 gns, I Think that's correct, anyway I want to reload using Berger 105 gr. hunting bullets for it. If there is any one out there that can tell me what the COAL of a 243. Cal loaded with the 105 VLDs would be , without seating the bullet down into the powder column , I would appreciate any help. The cartridge I am using at present is the Remington 100 gr. cor-lockt. Will the 105 gr. VLDs function using a SAMMI Chamber? Also the magazine looks as though the cartridge I am using now could be lengthened by about.125, and still work in the factory magazine. Any and all replies would be appreciated. Thanks

sharpshooter
10-02-2013, 10:47 PM
All chambers will vary...you will have to measure yours.

Williarj87
10-03-2013, 04:16 AM
There is several different DIY ways to measure your COAL for your rifle. Most likely you will run into your mag before you do your "lans".

For me I prefer the Hornady OAL Guage with the Modified Cartridge to measure OAL. This is used to measure the max COAL "YOUR RIFLE" can have. Then I measure my COAL using bullet comparators to be as precise as possible. The comparators measure off of the bullet ogive (where the bullet would meet the lans) rather than the tip of the bullet which will vary more than a couple of thousandths.

Berger makes a reloading manual as well that will show COAL to SAAMI specs as well. It also gives you some tips for reloading VLD style bullets as they are picky with COAL.

Good luck

yobuck
10-03-2013, 09:22 AM
you could also take an empty unprimed case and partialy seat a bullet.
then put it in the gun and seat it with the bolt. then try it in the magazine
to see if it fits. if not you can make die adjustments till it does or use a different bullet.
or of coarse just load single. with that system you can get the exact seating depth for that gun
for any bullet without any special tools. except a set of calipers which you should have anyway.

Wildboarem
10-03-2013, 04:52 PM
I use a fl sized case that I make 4 vertical cuts down the neck. That is the neck can seat a bullet with your fingers. I seat the bullet long in the neck and chamber it softly closing the bolt and ejecting it. In this fashion the lands will seat the bullet the rest of the way. This lets me know exactly what my coal is with each different bullet. I do this several times to make sure I get a consistent measurement. Every bullet is different as to the length to the ogive.

darkker
10-04-2013, 09:33 AM
It's SAAMI...
And there isn't A single chamber, a SAAMI chamber is a specific range. That word, RANGE is important to remember. How long the throat is, is another question besides the chamber. So when the bullets will contact the LANDS( not lans), can also vary.

jbjh
10-04-2013, 02:29 PM
SAMMIE Chamber
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy185/jbjhill/FetchImage_zps5be80ce8.jpg

(sorry, thought popped into my head and couldn't resist😊)

stangfish
10-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Carry on.

darkker
10-05-2013, 04:12 PM
+1 jbjh :cool:
Copy that