PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11

sarlaud
10-02-2013, 08:11 PM
I just got a new model 11 and bolt was hard to cycle rounds. Then bolt wouldn't open to extract the round. Finally pulled hard and bolt opened but round was stuck in chamber. One guy said could be ammo and not the gun. I am using Tulammo .223 steel case. Could it be the ammo or problem with bolt extra to?

darkker
10-02-2013, 09:07 PM
WAAAAYYY to little information to be helpful.
Was the bolt difficult to work, when empty? Meaning not cycling any cartridges, or just cycling was difficult with cartridges?
Was cycling UN-fired rounds easy? Was the feeding difficult, or just extraction? Have you tried ANY other ammo?

sarlaud
10-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Yes bolt was difficult when empty meaning not real smooth. No have not tried any other ammo. No feeding was not difficult. I tried a few more rounds after getting stuck round out. One was very difficult to extract and others popped out much easier. Did not try cycling in fired.

Possem
10-15-2013, 07:21 PM
I didn't find the tulammo ran well in my model 11 at all. Had multiple light hits on the primers. I never had any bolt issues however. Check you lower scope mounting bolts (base mounting bolts)I had one that was just slightly touching the bolt cause it to be hard to open after firing a round. I shaved it down and no smooth as ever. Hope that helps a bit

sarlaud
10-15-2013, 07:29 PM
thank you Possem!! I got some different ammo to try. I will check the base screws.

big honkin jeep
10-15-2013, 07:41 PM
Do the cases have a lacquer coating on them?
Lacquer coated cases have been known to cause ejection problems on multiple rifles. The lacquer can act like glue and cause sticky extraction.
Also cheap steel case ammo dosen't react the same as brass when fired. It may be expanding in the chamber and not springing back a little. Long story short I believe you have an ammo problem.

sarlaud
10-15-2013, 07:43 PM
I tried Ballistol as a lube which was used on a surfaces and bore. I never had trouble with my 10/22 which wouldnt extract rounds either. I used ballistol on it also. Maybe its not a good lube.

sarlaud
10-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Yes Big honkin jeep i think they do have a coating on them.

big honkin jeep
10-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Bingo, Get some brass cased ammo and I bet the problem will go away. The lacquer problem can be made even worse when the rifle heats up. it kind of melts the lacquer. I would give the chamber a good cleaning.
Ballistol is a very good lube. Especially if shooting corrosive ammo. It is great for neutralizing salts and it is water soluble. It's great for use on saltwater fishing gear too. If it will protect my lures and reels from saltwater it'll protect your rifle. Heck one of the local gun shops even cleans the bathroom with it
I have had finicky 10/22s that were picky about their diet as well. Some CCI mini mags will probably straighten it right out. The older Remington golden bullets and other bulk pack ammo used to give me fits. Due to the scarcity of .22 ammo I tried some of the "new and improved" Remington golden bullets in my 10/22 and it eats em like a bear with a bag of M&Ms. Not sure what the "New and improved" improvement was but it made a huge difference in my Rugers. they have always run fine on CCI minimags and stingers.

sarlaud
10-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Thanks again Big honkin jeep. Very good info thanks! Thanks All for the input!!!