PDA

View Full Version : Another trigger thread.

RP12
10-02-2013, 06:13 PM
I just polished my Accutrigger and sear with Flitz. My trigger pull went from 1-1/2 lbs to 12 ozs. It's touchy now, but still crisp and consistent and no bump fires, but I do get slam fires. Good thing it's a target only gun.

Petermari
10-02-2013, 09:45 PM
When you say it went from 1.5 lbs to 12 oz. does that mean you have the varmint-tactical accutrigger? What model Savage do you have? I have the model 10 fcp k and this issue is what I'm trying to avoid. I asked this question a couple days ago. There is a 2.5-6.0# accutrigger, a 1.5-6.0# accutrigger and a 6 oz-6.0# accutrigger with defferent sear geometry. Which trigger did you start with? It's starting to look like changing anything on these triggers (except the 6 oz Target Accutrigger) will cause issues like trigger sticking or slam firing.

RP12
10-03-2013, 07:33 AM
I have a model 12 FV-S, 1.5 - 6.0 #. The 6oz models even have a warning on the side of the action to close the bolt carefully to avoid a slam fire. Mine would not go under 3lbs when I started. I only use it for a target gun. I just smoothed up the mating surfaces, (less friction) and put a lighter spring in. Hope this helps explain it.

Petermari
10-03-2013, 11:08 AM
RP 12. When you say you put a lighter spring in do mean you put a 6oz target accutrigger in? You already had the 1.5 spring. Did you cut your spring or buy an aftermarket spring. Mine is for benchrest also. It looks like the only way to avoid this issue is to go to an aftermarket trigger. Rifle Basix has one called the Sav 2 that looks well suited for benchrest. The Timney only goes down to 1.5#. I bought a Target accutrigger spring but I'm having second thoughts about changing springs. Maybe a new trigger is the best way to go.

FW Conch
10-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Petermari, if you go to an aftermarket trigger, I recommend the SSS. If I understand the story correctly, it started life as a Jewel, but they dropped it and SSS picked it up. They can be gotten from a couple of sources besides SSS but I can't remember them right now? Help!someone. I like mine better than anything else I have tried. Good Luck-Good Shooting........Jim

stangfish
10-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Gun shack and Tactical Works have them. Both places are good to do business with.

Petermari
10-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Just looked at the Tactical Works website. $95 for the SSS Comp trigger, but it says it won't fit Accustock. Too bad.

RP12
10-03-2013, 01:51 PM
I put a spring from a Bic pen in. I took the stock spring out, then treaded a 10-24 screw in it's place, long enough to act as an over travel stop, then I put the pen spring over that. I had the 1.5# spring, but it only let me get to 3#s. I would try the lighter spring first, it may work fine. When you go that light on trigger pull poundage, you have to be more careful anyway, no free lunches.

Petermari
10-03-2013, 02:03 PM
RP12. Thanks. That's good info. I mentioned that I have a Target accutrigger spring but it's probably no different than whats in it. SSS says the comp trigger works in the Accustock. Tactical Works says it doesn't. Hope to get some clarification. It's SSS's trigger, they should know.

RP12
10-03-2013, 02:08 PM
I had a SSS trigger years ago and found that it felt like when the trigger broke it rolled over, very mushy, (if that makes sense) rather than broke like a glass rod. Maybe I just got a dud. I like the way my trigger feels now, very clean crisp break with 0 creep light pull weight and 0 over travel. If I was going to go lighter, I would try the Rifle basix trigger. But you still have to be careful with that trigger as well.

RP12
10-03-2013, 02:09 PM
RP12. Thanks. That's good info. I mentioned that I have a Target accutrigger spring but it's probably no different than whats in it. SSS says the comp trigger works in the Accustock. Tactical Works says it doesn't. Hope to get some clarification. It's SSS's trigger, they should know.I would trust SSS, Fred would know.

RP12
10-03-2013, 05:55 PM
I have a guy at a local shop with a model 12 and he felt my trigger, now he's jealous. I made a 10-24 screw and gave him a spring to get rid of the over travel and told him to polish the sear and trigger. That should make him happy.