PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: .17 HRM split brass

n4ue
10-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Hi. This may have been covered in the past, but I didn't find any search results...

I took my new Model 93R17 TR to my range today. Out of the 10 shots I fired to zero it, 4 of the cases has cracks in the case, in the shoulder area. I have several other .17 HMRs and don't recall this problem. Yes, it is 'old' ammo, but stored indoors....
Gun shot fine, had no idea of the cracks, until I picked up the brass.......

Any ideas/similar results????

thanks
ron

sharpshooter
10-02-2013, 02:55 PM
What brand of ammo?

exsquid
10-02-2013, 03:04 PM
I have seen lots of that on all kinds of ammos/rifles over the years on numerous .17 HMR's and now even the new .17 WSM. Not been a big deal for anyone I know....

n4ue
10-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Like a dummy, I forget to mention the ammo. I thought about it as soon as I posted. Duh!!

It is Hornady 17 gr V-Max. I have some new ammo of this type. I also have about 4 different kinds. But isn't it all from the same machinery??
I have a couple of Taurus revolvers and don't remember the splits. The revolvers deform the brass a LOT in the shoulder area. I was surprised by this but they shoot great....
I haven't fired my WSM enough to check the brass, still lookin' for 20 gr boolits....

ron

Zinzrah
10-02-2013, 06:46 PM
My bmag does this ever so often

maximo
10-04-2013, 06:04 PM
All 17HMR ammo is made by CCI in Idaho. Everyone sells 17 HMR ammo with their name on the box but it is still all made by CCI in Idhao.

Frank

plinkin
10-04-2013, 08:31 PM
What brand of ammo?

I don't think it matters what brand, they all do it from time to time. I had heard about it for a long time and had not experienced it. Then this past Summer I noticed one cracked below the ogive. Only one I have personally seen though.

JG26_Irish
10-05-2013, 08:13 AM
I had a good number of split cases with the 17WSM bmag using the 25g ammo in my first range sessions. I have not noticed any when using the 20g WSM ammo. Occasionally my 93R17 has split a case with the 17g ammo. I have not yet had time to try the 17HMR with the 20g ammo. Seems that they both will have a flyer from time to time. If the flyer goes low, check the case for a split. I think they may leak a little pressure when that happens, especially if the split extends beyond the neck area. I had one WSM that was split halfway down the case.

I have also seen this with .223 brass that was reloaded many times. The brass gets work hardened and brittle. .223 factory ammo is annealed to prevent this. I suspect that our little rimfire ammo is not since there is no discoloration at the top of the cartridge. I have no idea what the CUP pressure spec is for the 17 HMR or WSM, but would not be surprised to find that it is around 36,000 to 38,000 in the WSM. A good excuse for eye protection.

Irish

stangfish
10-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Then this past Summer I noticed one cracked below the ogive.

What does this mean?