PDA

View Full Version : Axis Bullpup Build

Pages : 1 [2] 3

fgw_in_fla
10-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Nuisance gators are a plenty out on our land in the middle of the state. During mating season you can hear then calling.
At night walking along the swamp area with a flashlight every once in a while there'll be a log with shiny eyes looking back at you.

Just got to be careful during the off season. You just never know when the conservation officer will be popping up but when you have one chomped down on your leg, there ain't no time to call the trapper.....

PS - I wouldn't use that rifle you're building. I'd be afraid to get it dirty.

daviscustom
10-02-2013, 06:55 PM
PS - I wouldn't use that rifle you're building. I'd be afraid to get it dirty.

I'm not building this rifle to baby it......just plain jane, straight grain, nice and stable quartersawn walnut. I will probably deer hunt with it....I want to see what it looks like when a deer gets hit by a Volkswagen. :thumb:

fgw_in_fla
10-02-2013, 08:01 PM
You have a good point.
It would kinda sorta be like launching a beer can at your target.

Tall boy - not the shorties...

missed
10-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Oh yeah.

I have been wanting to build a 16" barreled 308 to run a suppressor on but the bull pup is awesome!!!!! Excellent work!

short round
10-03-2013, 01:55 AM
Very interesting, one way to shorten bolt travel is to use front baffle which has 1/2'' leg on it, will have to grind the guide off, but this will only shorten travel 1/2''. Might make one to the size you need.

ironmk
10-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Looks interesting, made any progress?

missed
10-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Dang I saw a reply and was excited too see some progress!

ironmk
10-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Dang I saw a reply and was excited too see some progress!
Sorry to get you excited but figured it might stir a response and update????

daviscustom
10-31-2013, 10:05 PM
Sorry guys, I have been working on it but not much to show. Been working longer hours at work so I haven't had a lot of time to work on this. Due to have the barreled action ready to go late Novemberish.......hoping to get the trigger linkage done by then, but with deer season coming up I may not be able to finish the rifle till after I get the action back from Sinman. Still waiting on Form 1 paperwork as well so no progress on the can either.

It may be a while but I will get it done. Too much time and money invested to let it slide.

SheepDog29
12-31-2013, 06:07 PM
I can not wait to see the finished product for this project it is amazing

fla9-40
12-31-2013, 07:29 PM
Man this build is AWESOME !!!! Can't wait for an update.....with pics!

daviscustom
01-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Sorry there hasn't been much to report on this project. Still waiting on a barrel, and it has dragged me down to the point of not really being able to get very excited about working on it until I have a barreled action. The dang BATF is incredibly slow as well....still no form 1 paperwork either.

missed
01-01-2014, 01:32 PM
Sorry there hasn't been much to report on this project. Still waiting on a barrel, and it has dragged me down to the point of not really being able to get very excited about working on it until I have a barreled action. The dang BATF is incredibly slow as well....still no form 1 paperwork either.

I heard someone say form 1 is closing on 18 months now I'm at 8 months on a form 4 now....

daviscustom
01-01-2014, 01:44 PM
I hope not.....I have been finding reports of folks that sent in their paperwork in late Feb. 2013 have been getting their stamps in the last few weeks. That is when mine was sent in, but I did have to do a correction on mine, so I am hoping this month sometime.

missed
01-01-2014, 01:48 PM
I hope it shows soon I can't wait to see it finished. The 18 months maybe on new applications since your already in line I would think it would be soon. I was told 8 months on my 4 when I put it in so I figured I'm just in the holiday delay now... I think I'm going to pick up an Axis for one of these type builds now! I just wish I could go integrally suppressed and still have the 16" oal barrel

daviscustom
01-01-2014, 02:05 PM
The biggest question I have about this build at this point, and something you may want to start thinking about if you want to do one, is the length of pull on the trigger. Because of the length of the action with the bolt open, there is a fixed length established from the recoil pad to the front of the magazine.....unless you want to allow the bolt to cycle over the top of your shoulder....about a 13.5" to 14" length of pull appears to be about as short as I can get....unless you are building in a caliber that is low recoil, then you could save close to an inch.

If I do some sort of a retractable bolt stop, that would help the situation. The custom Remington style bolt stop that was suggested would be a good solution except I will have a cheek rest in the way to push the button....the cheek rest will cover the left side of the action, and also act as a blast shield in the event of a case rupture or other nasty situation.

daviscustom
01-01-2014, 02:36 PM
I hope it shows soon I can't wait to see it finished. The 18 months maybe on new applications since your already in line I would think it would be soon. I was told 8 months on my 4 when I put it in so I figured I'm just in the holiday delay now... I think I'm going to pick up an Axis for one of these type builds now! I just wish I could go integrally suppressed and still have the 16" oal barrel

No reason you couldn't do an integral if you can live with a tax stamp dedicated to one rifle. What caliber are you thinking about?

missed
01-01-2014, 03:26 PM
I am on the fence of being stuck to that rifle for the stamp, I would definitely want to machine parts in the methods that the trust and stamp number is on a non wear part so barrel and baffles could be replaced. I was originally thinking 308, but the 458 socom has crossed my mind.

daviscustom
01-01-2014, 03:40 PM
Unless you are an 07/02 manufacture, the baffles are not replaceable by the form 1 builder. The form 1 is considered to be a one shot deal on your design, so no experimentation with baffle designs or replacement of baffles except by a licensed manufacture. I presume the barrel would be something that could be replaced.....but that might be a sticky point, and depending on the design it could easy be considered a "silencer part" and also have to be replaced by a manufacture. Lot's of folks like to point out that the "form 1" is not a license to experiment......just to build one silencer. The manufactures, as you might imagine, are the ones making sure to drive that point home......but my understanding is the BATF has the same stance on that issue.

daviscustom
01-01-2014, 03:44 PM
I am on the fence of being stuck to that rifle for the stamp, I would definitely want to machine parts in the methods that the trust and stamp number is on a non wear part so barrel and baffles could be replaced. I was originally thinking 308, but the 458 socom has crossed my mind.

You will likely want to stick with a heavy recoil pad for either of those choices, since the rifle may well be a light-weight.

I am expecting mine to be similar to shooting 12 gauge slugs.