PDA

View Full Version : Bolt lug washer ?

RP12
10-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Anyone still putting the spring washer in between the baffle and lug instead of behind the baffle (factory location) ? What is the benefit ?

BillPa
10-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Anyone still putting the spring washer in between the baffle and lug instead of behind the baffle (factory location) ? What is the benefit ?

All mine have it between the baffle and lugs. The "benefit", it prevents the baffle from wiping the grease off the lugs, nothing else.

Bill

RP12
10-02-2013, 09:05 AM
The back of my lug has a slight radius so the washer won't fit between the lug and baffle. The only thing I could do is open up the washer hole size. Is it worth doing ?

BillPa
10-02-2013, 10:58 AM
The back of my lug has a slight radius so the washer won't fit between the lug and baffle. The only thing I could do is open up the washer hole size. Is it worth doing ?

You'll have to open the ID of the washer "Slightly" to clear the fillet(radius) at the lugs, but don't enlarge it too much or it can drop down and hang up on the edge of the action lug recess then you'll be buying a new one. Experience is a good teacher BTW!

When I'm truing a bolt head I'll remove the fillet and leave the washer as-is.

If its worth doing is pretty much up to you.

Bill

dcloco
10-02-2013, 07:05 PM
.......When I'm truing a bolt head I'll remove the fillet and leave the washer as-is.
Bill

Bill - you are removing the radius???? Tom

BillPa
10-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Bill - you are removing the radius???? Tom

At times, sure. Its a left over when the bolthead are machined, a result of the radius on the tip of the tool bit. If I'm squaring the BH face it a simple matter to change to another holder with a right hand bit and make that cut then relocate the spring washer when I reassemble the bolt.