PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 with Heavy Varmint barrel? (in .223 Rem)

jhelmuth
10-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Yo fellow Barrel Nuts!

Today - I picked up a rare find. I bought (and took delivery) of a genuine Stevens 200 in .223 Rem... WITH A HEAVY VARMINT BARREL! (not the typical factory sporterversion) Yep... say it isn't so (you'd be wrong)? I had no idea, but apparently Gander Mountain had a run of these made by Savage for them (and priced at $499 if my information is not incorrect) back in I believe late 2008 and/or early 2009. A Part Finder lookup comes back with: MOD 200XP 223 REM VARMINT BLK OX (albeit this is a factory blue finish).

I'm going to post pics and such later, but right now this is in a brief clean-n-tear down/inspection mode with an eventual build coming (Kevin Rayhill stock + trigger job or replacement + likely Duracoat on the actioned barrel) to include basic accuracy items and enhancements along the way... (but I'll do a brief reassemble for some stock photos before the build.

I have never seen one of these - but happy to have one. I'm gonna pray shes a shooter.

Jim

bythebook
10-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Jim I saw several of these at Gander Mtn. about that time period. I thought they had 1 or 2 in 22-250 also.

jhelmuth
10-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Nice... did not know that. The only references I found were for the .223 Remington.

Been doing some more research and found one gentelman that believed he saw these at a Cabelas. So there may have been some distributed there too (but can't confiirm that). I still am of the opinion - based on my research - that these were a specail run for Gander Mountain.

jhelmuth
10-01-2013, 08:53 PM
I have no knowledge of the total made - so I'm uncertaian that these were really rare (overall), or not. I know I don't see these much (ever actually excepting this particular rifle).

hitmen31
10-01-2013, 09:00 PM
I lost a bid for an exact rifle like that on gunbroker about a month ago, first one I had seen.

jhelmuth
10-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Hmmm... might have been me? Been almost a month - bought on GB. Was the winning bid $360.00 ?

sniper15545
10-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Nice find Jim!!!

hitmen31
10-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Yep that was it! Nice to know it went to someone who is going to shoot it!

jhelmuth
10-03-2013, 10:11 AM
I'll try to post some pix on this later and give a bit-o-history (if I can find it) on this rifle... so far she's looking good and has cleaned up really well. Looks as though the rifle had been shot very little, or had been very well cared for. I'm not a fan of "blue" finishes, so I believe I'm going to do this up in Combat Black Duracoat, but I may try something in a silver... just undecided at this point. I'm thinking that the Kevin Rayhill stock (which I've opend up for a BULL contour - plenty for this factory varmint barrel) will possibly get a medium to medium-dark Bule possibly in an Automotive paint. I would prefer the Duracoat for it's durability - but I'm leaning to something fun. If not the blue, then I'm probably going to go for something in a Foliage Green (esp. if I do the Combat Black barreled action).

I welcome any opinions on color for the new barreled action (and stock for that matter).

GaCop
10-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Congratulations, nice snag! I like the green and black combo for that tactical look.

jhelmuth
10-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Congratulations, nice snag! I like the green and black combo for that tactical look.

That was my thinking too. But most of my stuff goes that way (unless its something I have in stainless - and then it's "black" for the stock). I always see these interesting "colored" rifles and think to myself... "I wouldn't mind having one like that".

jhelmuth
01-16-2014, 11:01 AM
.... well - finished up the project. You can read about it here: http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?32293-Stevens-200-with-Heavy-Varmint-barrel-(in-223-Rem)-YEP!&p=235021#post235021

jonbearman
01-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Looks real nice.Good job and that thing is darned accurate.

tbartley
01-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Well done, sir...well done.