PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x284 LRH accuracy

Willifish
09-29-2013, 11:28 PM
About two months ago I purchased a brand new 111 long range hunter 6.5x284 I did a lot of work trying to get it to shoot accurately using many bullet and powder combinations the best I could do was about 1.75" at 100 yds. I was very unsatisfied with the performance so I called Savage the lady was very nice and offered to have UPS pick it up on Monday
the rifle got to them on Friday and they worked on it for two weeks. when I got it back the said they " removed burs and checked headspace" It came with a target showing a .9 group I noticed a fair amount of rust on the muzzle brake so I looked down the barrel and noticed the barrel seemed very dirty so I cleaned it cleaning took over an hour and the barrel was spotless when I shipped it. When I shot it I tried two different loads including the 120 grain Nosler BT bullet they said the test group was shot with. The grouping was terrible 6-7" at 100 yds. Needless to say I was very upset so I called Jim at NSS and found he had a CBI lite varmint in 6.5x284 in stock. I bought it along with barrel nut, recoil lug and tools. Jim was outstanding to deal with. Four days later the box showed up and that night I pulled the old barrel off and installed and head spaced the new barrel after modifying the recoil lug per Jims instructions to fit the accustock. I opened up the barrel channel. and put it back together the next day I took it out and broke it in one shot and clean after six shots it was barely fouling so I shot a three shot group .75" Yea! after a little more break in and load development it is now shooting .375" consistently !!!
My question is what should I do concerning Savage? I Know I have voided my warranty but at least I have an accurate rifle for my daughter to hunt with come Oct. 12

Willifish