PDA

View Full Version : To Cannelure or Canne-NOT and Power Funnels

Silvercrow1
09-29-2013, 10:04 AM
Hello Knowledgeable Ones! Well, I loaded up 34 .223 Rem. on my own Friday, and am going out to test / develop on Monday. This is SO cool for me. I got a TON of help here!

I had purchased cannelured Hornady .224 soft points and am not crimping the bullets. I'm ordering more and want to know if having the cannelure on a bullet diversely affects accuracy? The cases that I'm using are Federal I had on hand...I do have some real nice cases (LC) now. The Federals varied in length and setting the bullet seating to 2.20x" C.O.A.L. the cannelure sits just above the case mouth- right above it.

ALSO- I really like my RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master kit, EXCEPT for the funnel. Used in conjunction with the supplied reloading block, the funnel doesn't sit very well. I am weighing each charge before dumping into the cases (YEAH, I KNOW Dr. Sigmond would have a ball with me...) and I noted some visual powder shortage when inspecting two of the charged cases, then some spillage near two of the cases in the block, which caused me to re-weigh and re-charge all of the cases (YEAH...BUT I'm careful...). SO-

I looked at a Sinclair powder funnel- aluminum with a specific- fitting brass collet $11.99. Anyone using one of these? The supplied RCBS funnel just aint doing it for me. Any other brands / types I should look at?

Thanks for your help! Brian

stangfish
09-29-2013, 11:58 AM
I use the MTM and have been very pleased with it. I think it is very similar to the RCBS. You are no different than anyone wanting good accuracy. The cannelure is on a bearing surface that gets destroyed by the grooves. Probably does not have a descernable impact on velocity. Its purpose is for the crimp that protects umunition from being effected by exposure to rough handling. Lee asserts that it can increase accuracy if I am not mistaken, by normalizing pressure from round to round. That could be complete BS but its what I remember.

MacDR
09-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Shoot the same bullet and use a Lee factory crimp die. I seat them out slightly more approximately .224. I say approx. because I have taken to using a comparator for setting up my seating of bullets. This helps keep the distance to the lands more consistent than using OAL. Case length variations matter less as a result of using the FCD. I also use a Lee powder funnel and it works fine for me. A nice solid supporting loading block keeps cases from tipping when filling with a funnel. I tap the case near the middle lightly with the scale pan while holding the funnel in place after dumping the powder. This helps ensure all the powder is out of the funnel and into the case. Good luck with your reloading efforts.

oldbrass
09-29-2013, 01:50 PM
I use a LEE funnel, its tapered at the mouth and never spill a drop. As for the cannelure you can crimp if you want but the crimp needs to be on the cannelure. Your seating just with the cannelure just above the case mouth so don`t crimp..I`m curious though you said the federal cases varied in length,is that before or after you trimmed to length ??
Keep asking questions and good luck with your loads

JW
09-29-2013, 05:29 PM
I had the same issue with the rcbs funnel you are having
I found that I had to hold the funnel in place on the 223 shell to load and it works great ( funnel will not set on the shell correctly without help)
I also have one of the sinclair funnels that are for 22 cal as you mentioned--you will be pleased with it
Funny thing though, I find myself using the rcbs more that the sinclair I guess because I am used to it

Jack

emtrescue6
09-29-2013, 06:22 PM
I also have one of the RCBS funnels...it's junk...I prefer my old Hornady and a Lee one I have. I also use the same bullet you mention and I do not crimp and have never had any problems and always get good accuracy.

Silvercrow1
09-29-2013, 11:40 PM
I use a LEE funnel, its tapered at the mouth and never spill a drop. As for the cannelure you can crimp if you want but the crimp needs to be on the cannelure. Your seating just with the cannelure just above the case mouth so don`t crimp..I`m curious though you said the federal cases varied in length,is that before or after you trimmed to length ??
Keep asking questions and good luck with your loads

Hey Oldbrass! The .223 Federal once fired brass I found I had (from a while ago when I had a Bushmaster 5.56/.223) varied in length from approximately 1.768 to 1.748. I do not have a trimmer yet so I thought a good thing I might do was to sort the brass according to length, which I did. So definitely before any trimming. I'm looking at what I might afford for a decent trimmer now. AND I recently got some brass from a member that is VERY uniform in length, so I will have a great place to start with that brass. Thanks!
Brian

Silvercrow1
09-29-2013, 11:46 PM
I had the same issue with the rcbs funnel you are having
I found that I had to hold the funnel in place on the 223 shell to load and it works great ( funnel will not set on the shell correctly without help)
I also have one of the sinclair funnels that are for 22 cal as you mentioned--you will be pleased with it
Funny thing though, I find myself using the rcbs more that the sinclair I guess because I am used to itJack

Hi Jack! THANKS for the input! Yeah I can make the RCBS one work, and I'm going to be inspecting each case as I go along, but it would be nice for me to have a funnel that sits on there solidly. I am going to order the funnel THANKS- Brian

Stang, Macdr and EVERYONE thanks for the input! I just ordered more of the mentioned bullets- Natchez has a heck of a deal on 'em BTW. They are a buck cheaper than the ones without cannelure, but I didn't see that until I placed the order. BUT NOW my worried mind does not have to worry...about this anyway ;>) Brian

thermaler
09-30-2013, 08:32 AM
Keep asking questions and good luck with your loadsFrom what I've read it really doesn't matter if you crimp on the cannelure or not if your seating the bullet differently as long as you don't overdo it and use a taper crimp. I've bought plenty of factory ammo with exposed cannelures beyond the case neck mouth.

Silvercrow1
09-30-2013, 01:48 PM
From what I've read it really doesn't matter if you crimp on the cannelure or not if your seating the bullet differently as long as you don't overdo it and use a taper crimp. I've bought plenty of factory ammo with exposed cannelures beyond the case neck mouth.

Hi Thermaler- thanks for the info.! I did make it to the range today with my reloads and it went very well! Gonna post pics tonight or tomorrow.

You are absolutely right- seems to have no adverse effect on accuracy at all! I'm using neck tension for the seating- and all seems to be well with the rounds mechanically and in performance. Thanks again! Brian