PDA

View Full Version : Older 110C change to top load box magazine-Help

Big Smitty
09-29-2013, 09:27 AM
I have an older 110C with the detachable magazines that I would like to change to a top load box magazine. This will allow more options on an after market stocks. Can this be done? The rifle is an original long action .270 that has been converted to a .300 win mag. Thanks for any help!!

twarren
09-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Not sure on all of this. A blind magazine stock, a magazine and a follower.

stangfish
09-29-2013, 10:12 AM
I have no Idea to be honest but the question I would be wanting to answer is the magazine port on the bottom compatable with the staggerfed magazine. So I would flip the action over and look for the slots that retain the magazine. If I were unsure it would fit I would get someone to give me dimensions so I could verify. So now you are at a yes or no. If no then the question is do you want to fit the action to use a centerfeed magazine. If removing metal from the bottom of the action is required are you up to the task?

big honkin jeep
09-29-2013, 10:35 AM
If the win mag cartridges feed from the current mag box then it's a piece of cake. The factor I'm unsure of is the mag cutout legnth. As long as the cartridges currently fit and feed it's simply a matter of taking a large screwdriver and placing it on the magazine tab and striking it at an angle to pop out the detachable mag well. Then using the same method popping in the new blind mag assembly. There is probably a good market in the classifieds for the detachable mag parts and stock as a whole unit.

Big Smitty
09-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Cartridges do fit and feed now. I am going to look at it to see if i can get it out of the mag well. If I can then I will look to order the blind mag assembly. Thanks!

big honkin jeep
09-29-2013, 04:50 PM
A little tab on the mag well fits into the slots in the bottom of the receiver.Just put the large screwdriver against the tab and whack it at an angle. It should pop right out for you. There may be a youtube video somewhere but I haven't checked.

handirifle
09-29-2013, 04:59 PM
You WILL need a bling mag stock, unless you make a plate to replace the one with the magazine cutout. In that case it will have to adapt to the trigger guard. Best bet is a new stock, trigger guard, magazine and follower. Action screws might be different lengths also, depending on whether you replace it with like stock. ie wood for wood or syn for syn.

As was said you can get a good price for the detachable stuff.

stangfish
09-29-2013, 05:25 PM
I dont think this gun has the tabs on the magazine that fit the bottom of the action...does it?

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/SavageStevensSpringfieldFox-33479/110C-33669.htm?results=All

sharpshooter
09-29-2013, 10:53 PM
There is an easier way......
Take the detachable mag out, and remove the bottom cap. Snap it back in the frame. Install into a blind mag stock using the same follower. Forget about the release button.
Savage made many this way long ago.

big honkin jeep
10-01-2013, 10:48 AM
I dont think this gun has the tabs on the magazine that fit the bottom of the action...does it?

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/SavageStevensSpringfieldFox-33479/110C-33669.htm?results=All

I'm not sure whats up with that diagram.
My older staggerfeed C models have the tabs.

There is an easier way......
Take the detachable mag out, and remove the bottom cap. Snap it back in the frame. Install into a blind mag stock using the same follower. Forget about the release button.
Savage made many this way long ago.

Then you cant sell the parts to help cover the cost of the new stock. We all know the staggered feed parts aren't in as big a supply as they once were so left over parts are always welcome :)

sharpshooter
10-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Why would you want to sell parts that you can use, and then hunt for other parts that are in short supply also?

big honkin jeep
10-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Just what I'd probably do because the staggered feed stock blind mag and follower seem to be much easier to find than DBM parts ( took about .0007 seconds on Google) and a complete DBM setup should sell for a bit more than Blind mag replacement parts as well as making another savage shooter who wanted these parts very happy :)

sharpshooter
10-01-2013, 09:21 PM
There is virtually no demand for the old stagger feed DBM set up. If you've ever seen one, they will not fit a standard blind magazine action with out some machine work. The fact is, they never worked that well anyway. Finding bottom metal for that set-up is like find a 6 leaf clover, as only the older ones used an aluminum mag frame. Most of these were in tupperware stocks that were molded around the magazine. Even the ones in birch stocks had plastic surround.