PDA

View Full Version : multiple rifles in same caliber same dies or not ?

Pages : [1] 2

lonestardiver
09-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Do other set up a single die set per rifle or do you constantly adjust between setting for two or more rifles ?
Alternately, are you fortunate enough to have a reload that works equally well in both ?

I am probably going to dedicate a set of dies to each rifle so that once set I don't have to change anything as long as I use the same components...

Thoughts ?

fgw_in_fla
09-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Or....
Once you find a COL that works, save 1 round to use for a template. That way each time you make some more of a particular cartridge you have the size all set. Adjust the die, check the COL & have at it.

Having a recipe that works on 2 different rifles of the same caliber is pretty rare as far as I know. For example, I have 2 Savage 25.06 barrels. You couldn't tell the difference if they were side by side. One barrel seems to do better with a slightly hotter load.

brtelec
09-28-2013, 09:23 PM
I do the same thing fgw does. I make up a dummy round for each load I wish to repeat and mark them for specs and rifle.

stangfish
09-28-2013, 09:36 PM
I make all of them to the same case headspace. Then it don't matter.

jwrowland77
09-29-2013, 08:16 AM
Why would you buy multiple dies of the same caliber?

As mentioned, just make a dummy round for each new rifle, bullet. I do this with my daughters .223, where I have 5 different bullets for her rifle. Go through all the same steps you would with a normal round, like resizing, trimming, etc, just don't put in a primer and powder. I can change my seating dies in no time flat with the dummy rounds I have.

davemuzz
09-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Thoughts ?

What caliber are you talking about? If it's the .223, I don't think it matters. If it's a larger caliber such as a .308 or a 260, and your looking for long range accuracy (longer than 200 yards and by accuracy I mean sub-MOA) then I think it does make a difference.

But, again.....caliber?

Dave

missed
09-29-2013, 09:14 AM
I do the same thing fgw does. I make up a dummy round for each load I wish to repeat and mark them for specs and rifle.

I'm going to have to do this, that would speed the process up!

TC260
09-29-2013, 09:25 AM
You can use die shims or if you use an O-ring set-up, there's enough adjustment available that you can mark the lock ring with different colored sharpies for the different rifles you're loading for. So along with what's been mentioned there's a number of different ways to use one set of dies to load for multiple rifles.

stangfish
09-29-2013, 09:55 AM
To clarrify my previous post; Mine are all savages so I just index the barrels to set the headspace to the same headspace dimensions. Every case I resize is within .002 of the chamber dimensions on 4 different rifles. I body size every case every time. Anneal when cases get hard.

lonestardiver
09-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Regarding calibers... .204 ruger (model 12,model 11) , .223 (model 10, model 12, AR-15), .308 (model 10, LR-308).

In the AR platforms I may need to lean toward small base dies anyways...

I like the idea of setting the headspace alike on all like calibers.

stomp442
09-29-2013, 10:29 AM
I generally use the sharpie method but I do have two sets of dies for my 250-3000 rifles just because I had another set given to me. Soi have one set set up to full length size and seat the 115 bergers and the other set up to neck size and seat the 75 grain Vmax. Works out pretty nice.

davemuzz
09-29-2013, 03:26 PM
I generally use the sharpie method...

There's your answer!!!

emtrescue6
09-29-2013, 06:12 PM
I have several calibers for which I have multiple rifles in and for the most part I use the same set of dies and build dummy rounds a described above. For one because I am cheap and for two, I don't trust everything to always live up the same, so always go through the process of adjusting dies every time.

OLEJOE
10-08-2013, 10:52 PM
I've never seen a dummy round made to adjust a sizer die.

OLEJOE
10-08-2013, 10:53 PM
P.S. I've been reloading since 1974.

missed
10-08-2013, 10:57 PM
I see the dummy round for the guys that don't run Mic seater dies.

You put your dummy round in your press and run it down till it touches the bullet so your seating depth matches what you want and what your dummy is set up for. I would call it a set up round. It would speed things up for multiple bullets and rifles.

OLEJOE
10-10-2013, 09:29 PM
I also use dummy rounds for the seater die. If you just run the shellholder up against the sizer die for both rifles then that will work. I have 2 different rifles in .308 that I load for (a Rem & aMar ). Guess which one has the tightest chamber, by a good bit. So when I'm trying for that last little bit of accuracy, I neck size only and full length size my hunting rounds.

stangfish
10-10-2013, 10:55 PM
P.S. I've been reloading since 1974.

My sister in law has been cooking that long and she still can't cook!

just poking fun.

fgw_in_fla
10-11-2013, 05:20 AM
My sister in law has been cooking that long and she still can't cook!

just poking fun.

Good one...
I say the same thing to my 'ol lady when she says "I've been cooking for 20 years".... Then, duck & run.

I'm a little unclear on the original question. Are we talking COL or brass sizing?

seanhagerty
10-11-2013, 09:08 AM
I have pretty much the same mindset. I set the headspace on my savage 223 to the headspace on my AR15. I use one die for resizing, with just a shoulder bump. I guess I should mention its a small base die, so I dont have any issues with my AR15.

Because they have different throat lengths, I have two different seaters. For my AR, I have an RCBS seater die set up on my Dillon, so I can crank out a 100 rounds in a hurry. I get fairly accurate loads, I am ok with this. For my Savage 223, I have an RCBS comp seater die that is just the thing for precision ammo. I can consistently shoot just over 1/2 moa with this gun/load/inept shooter.