PDA

View Full Version : action length on model 111, what holes to measure?

tacticalj
02-17-2010, 04:51 AM
Got a model 111. It's an older model, no accu-anything on this gun! I am looking at replacing the stock in hopes to create a more tactical look. The problem is i don't know exactly what and where to measure to get the right length. I measured from the front mounting screw to the front bolt on the trigger guard and it was a little over 5". Is this the right bolts to measure?

I am also thinking of putting a new trigger setup in, any thoughts or manufacturers that come to mind? I'm leaning towards a rifle basix trigger, but since you guys should be the savage masters i thought you would surely have an opinion!
Thanks for the assist
Jason

rjtfroggy
02-17-2010, 08:14 AM
The front of the trigger guard screw to the forward forearm screw center to center should be 5.06 = long action I am pretty sure this hasn't changed.
As for triggers I don't have one but SSS who sponsors this site sells a couple different ones and they get great reviews.

82boy
02-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Welcome to the site.
You measure from the center of the hole to the center of the other hole, just like rjtfroggy said. The measurement is 5.062, you are in luck long action don't have all the variations as the short action does on stocks, bad news is there are less stocks to choose from.

pdog06
02-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Welcome to the site.

For triggers a RB sav2 is a very nice trigger, but also pricey. I have one and really like it, but for $50-55 less you can buy a SSS comp. trigger that is just as good as the RB, except it only goes down to 10-12 oz instead of 4 oz.. Not a big deal for me as I set all mine at 12-14 oz anyway.

The RB sav1 and the Timney trigger are also nice triggers, but dont adj down as low as the others and is the same price as the SSS.

I currently have a RB sav2, a Timney, and 4 SSS triggers on my Savages. If I go to buy another new trigger it will be a SSS.

tacticalj
02-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Ok, that's the measurement i had, but i was seeing several that were 4.25, so i was confused! Thanks for the info on both the measurement and the trigger. I'm not sure what i will go with, but i'm on a budget and that contradicts most of my purchases. Maybe i should have chosen a different profession, cuz cops don't make alot! Hopefully i can help some of you at some time with information!
Thanks Jason

BobT
02-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Hey Jason,

Welcome to the forum, If you are on a tight budget (who isn't) take a look at your current trigger, the 3 screw triggers can be adjusted to be a very nice trigger if you aren't looking for a really light pull. The Timney and Rifle Basix SAV-1 are no better IMO, the RB SAV-2 is a different animal and from everything I hear so are the SSS triggers. My next aftermarket will be a SSS competition trigger.

Bob

tacticalj
02-18-2010, 02:40 PM
I was actually just fumbling with that last night, since i work nights and stay up alot. The trigger is not to bad at the moment, I was just figuring everybody makes a big deal on trigger pull (weight and such) and i thought it might help for longer range accuracy. Right now i'm actually working on the stock, i was hoping that the factory stock could be bedded. I'm sure it can, but it's pretty hollow inside, being a synthetic. I think the best thing there is to buy an aftermarket and basically i'm looking for the tacticool look on it.
Thanks for the info.
Jason

rjtfroggy
02-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Jason go to Numrich gun parts and they have a page for factory stocks look for the Savage ones on the list they have long action dbm's blind mags,laminates, wood,target,thumbholes, adj cheek,whatever, all at reduced prices. or you can look each one up by model number. Just remember two digit model numbers are usually short action and three digit numbers are long actions.

Uncle Jack
02-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Just about everything you need to know about the trigger. With gentle and judicious use of a Arkansas hard stone, you can make the sear engagement as smooth as a baby's bottom. The trigger pull weight can be lightened by the use of a finer gauge wire for the trigger return spring. The most popular seems to be .040/.041 spring wire.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,19414.msg142631.html#msg142631(

uj