PDA

View Full Version : Any Eastern Iowa Groundhog or Coyote Hunters

scottkr
08-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Looking for someone that can advise or mentor an aspiring groundhog and coyote hunter here in East central Iowa.

Ia caller
08-02-2009, 08:18 PM
When I used to drive through there on the way to Scheels before they opened a store here in WDM, what I saw was big open rolling land for the most part. Should find any farmer who would like to have the coyotes on their land shot if you just ask them. Go for it!

Monkeymaster
09-12-2009, 10:21 AM
I set up with good view of the terrain, always watching down wind, but also watching my back. If you know there are coyotes in a draw or timber ect, do not crowd them, stay back, and try to call. Try not to be in to brushy or thick cover, you need to see them as soon as possible. Do not skyline yourself or make allot of racket getting set up, they are not stupid, and won't come in, even to a flopping rabbit if they have just seen you.
Success rate for me goes way up at night, I wait until snow is on the ground, and some moonlight to brighten everything up, here I like to set up in fence rows next to timber or draws, with something behind you, remember, do not skyline yourself, cottontail distress calls, it is quit a rush to see 4 to 6 yotes come busting out 100 yds away determined to eat "you".
I use cottentail rabbit calls, starting the howling thing without success so far.
Read as much on coyote hunting as you can, buy, rent , or borrow from a buddy some coyote hunting videos. The best thing you can do, is to go out and try it, don't get frustrated if no success at first, keep trying, you need to learn "your" way.
Good luck !