PDA

View Full Version : Just currious

Pages : [1] 2

82boy
09-28-2013, 12:14 PM
What is a "called flyer?" I have heard this term used, but it makes no sense to me.

eddiesindian
09-28-2013, 12:20 PM
when shooting paper target (bench/prone for control and stability)and working on your groupings (pattern size) "usually" for 5 shots..you ocassionally get a round that hits way off the grouping...
Those are called flyers.
I believe you me.......I Hate them SOB,s...........

82boy
09-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Thank you for the explanation, but it is not what I am asking about. I know what a flyer is, but you see many targets on the internet, and people talking about post, and they mark out one shot, and call it a "Called Flyer." I want to know what exactly qualifies a flyer as a "Called Flyer."

stangfish
09-28-2013, 01:00 PM
You are a very experienced shooter. I get this feeling that you know exactly how the term is being used but you would like an oportunity to call BS. So if I was going to interpret the meaning I would say that someone pulled a shot and new it and realize it is not the load, not the rifle, but the person responsible for the shot being so far off. So there is your window of oportunity.

Balljoint
09-28-2013, 01:04 PM
To me a called flyer is a round that YOU know will be a flyer and you call it so

fgw_in_fla
09-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Whenever I pull a shot & I know it's going to screw up a perfectly good group, I don't call it a flyer of even a "called flyer".
I usually spout off a flurry of curse words.
I even try to make up some new ones.

jrhammo08sxt
09-28-2013, 01:19 PM
To me a called flyer is a round that YOU know will be a flyer and you call it so
"A miss that you can 'call' or plot in a shot book"
To me, that is what the "called flyer" is. I have qualified Expert for 6 times in a row in the Marine Corps and they teach you to call your shots whatever position you are shooting from. Alot of the time I will know EXACTLY what shos hit out of the black because I can feel or see myself flich or pull the shot. This happens most of the time at the 200 yard line in the standing position...try pulling the trigger at the right time and hitting a 12 inch black circle all five times!
Anyway, occasionally you will do everything right and the ROUND will miss the mark, which is a "flyer", other times you as the shooter will pull the trigger on a heartbeat or flinch and pull or push the shot and you will be able to know exactly what you did to throw the round off it's mark, that would be your "called flyer"

Just to help you understand, when on the rifle range during slowfire, we shoot the target, then the target is pulled down at the pits to be marked where the shot hit, while this is being done, we mark where we think our shots hit in a book on a "call" chart that has that particular target on it. When the target is ran back up, with the shot marker in place, we then mark where it actually hit on the plot chart. When the call is off, and the shot is off in the same place, that would be a "called flyer"...http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o634/jrhammo08sxt/Guns/DataBook015.jpg (http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/jrhammo08sxt/media/Guns/DataBook015.jpg.html)

pisgah
09-28-2013, 02:20 PM
"I pulled that one, high and right"(or wherever). To me, that's a called flyer.

LoneWolf
09-28-2013, 07:01 PM
Basically the last thing you saw before the bang.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

pdog06
09-28-2013, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=jrhammo08sxt;208620]
Anyway, occasionally you will do everything right and the ROUND will miss the mark, which is a "flyer", other times you as the shooter will pull the trigger on a heartbeat or flinch and pull or push the shot and you will be able to know exactly what you did to throw the round off it's mark, that would be your "called flyer"
[QUOTE]

That is my understanding of it as well. Although, when posting groups on the internet the flyers should be counted in the group size...LOL

missed
09-28-2013, 08:45 PM
I have always called the flyer the anomaly round. You know even when you have sent all five down range text book correct and there is still that one off in la la land that to me is a flyer. Those ones where you flinch, sneeze, wiggle, fart, blink those are just that string of colorful and creative words that little kids can hear through hearing protection and completely proficient at repeating.

sharpshooter
09-28-2013, 10:31 PM
A "called flyer" is a term that only gun writers use.;)

snowgetter1
09-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Called flyer= 1. An excuse to make oneself feel better about said oneself after they have failed to complete all tasks in a repetitive manner while shooting. 2. A position assigned within a cheeraleading or acrobatic performance. The position usually being the smallest person who is routinely thrown in the air. 3. Slang for pilot.

eddiesindian
09-28-2013, 10:58 PM
I have always called the flyer the anomaly round. You know even when you have sent all five down range text book correct and there is still that one off in la la land that to me is a flyer. Those ones where you flinch, sneeze, wiggle, fart, blink those are just that string of colorful and creative words that little kids can hear through hearing protection and completely proficient at repeating.

isnt that what I just explained?...............hmmmmmm
oh well

J.Baker
09-29-2013, 02:39 AM
A "called flyer" is a term that only gun writers use.;)

Yeah, real shooters refer to "called fliers" by several other names/phrases - none of which can be repeated here as they would violate the rule regarding obscene/vulgar language. LOL

missed
09-29-2013, 07:18 AM
isnt that what I just explained?...............hmmmmmm
oh well

Tapatalk.....didn't see your post, hey were on the same page on it!

DanSavage
09-29-2013, 02:32 PM
A called flier is slang for bad shot,, a flier is when everything felt good and the call is right in there, and when you look and see that the shot was substantially out of the group, you call it a flier. Fliers are not a good thing and I try to stay away from them.

Hope I'm not repeating anything LOL.

82boy
09-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Ok here is my problem with the hole "called flyer" thing. Regardless what you call it, it has to be measured into the group size.

stangfish
09-29-2013, 11:06 PM
Now the whole group is messed up. What if your not competing but testing a load or a rifles accuracy and you knew your error goofed the group up?

82boy
09-29-2013, 11:25 PM
Now the whole group is messed up. What if your not competing but testing a load or a rifles accuracy and you knew your error goofed the group up?

Then admit that the shot was screwed up, shoot the remainder of the target with the amount of shots you planed on shooting, and measure the entire group, then try to do better on the next target. If you feel the need to display this target, then admit that you screwed up the group, and put it at it full measurement. If your really concerned that your first shot could be off, then why not shoot it on another target, like a sighter target. If your always giving your self an excuse or an out, you will never improve. It is only when you except your failures, and attempt to learn from them that you will ever improve.