PDA

View Full Version : Sharp Shooter Supply Comp trigger install: Down the rabbit hole

Pages : [1] 2

thermaler
09-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Having read a couple of favorable reviews--and having never tried this trigger before--I decided to order one for my new 300 win mag 111 hunter. The hunter DOES NOT come with an accutrigger. All the advertising literature I read said it should be a drop-in job.

NOT!

If your rifle is made after 2004 (something I didn't see mentioned anywhere) you will need to file a pretty big notch in the stock trigger bracket--taking it "past the point of no return." After all this I still can't get the safety to engage, even with all the screws "full off" the safety bar jams against something in the new trigger housing. Oddly enough the SSS directions mention several instances of why this might be--the solution may be more grinding away at the trigger housing--which of course would totally take it out of any kind of warranty.

I'm not the smartest guy on the block and the directions are full of "if you bugger it it's your own dern fault" type of language. But I have successfully done 7 other trigger installs including Rifle Basix, Timney, RR, McCormick and JP triggers so I'm not a total beginner.

Excuse my whining--but I'm at a loss as to what to do here. Has anyone here installed this trigger on a (non accutrigger) late model hunter, and if so, how did you do it??

82boy
09-28-2013, 12:13 PM
All I can say is if your not able to install the trigger maybe you need to send it off and have it installed. I have put in many of competition trigger in pre accutrigger guns, and it is a true drop in. the only thing ever needed was a bit of grinding to the inside of the trigger guarde to make a bit more clearance.

stangfish
09-28-2013, 01:05 PM
I thought it was in figure #2 maybe where they show some lines on the bracket denoting where you need to cut a clearance notch.

thermaler
09-29-2013, 04:48 AM
I thought it was in figure #2 maybe where they show some lines on the bracket denoting where you need to cut a clearance notch. I already ground down the trigger bracket per the instructions and the new trigger fits in the bracket fine. The safety bar that rides underneath, once the trigger group is attached to the rifle is so tight it is riding up against the new trigger housing and cannot slide freely. The instructions mention this is a possibility and that one solution is to grind down the base of the trigger housing itself. All this grinding stuff I consider "invasive surgery."

My 111 hunter is not a "pre-accutrigger" rifle. it is a recently manufactured non accutrigger gun. The trigger bracket on my rifle is very similar but not identical to the post-2004 bracket pictured on the SSS web and instructions.

Anyways, I will call them Monday to find out what I can do. I leave at the end of this week for a 4 day bow-hunt so I may have to set this aside for a while.

JWW123
09-29-2013, 09:18 AM
check and make sure when you put the safety in the cross pin the detent slides on is not on top hope i said this right ,it goes through not over good luck

stangfish
09-29-2013, 09:58 AM
PM sent

thermaler
09-29-2013, 10:47 AM
check and make sure when you put the safety in the cross pin the detent slides on is not on top hope i said this right ,it goes through not over good luckI know exactly what you mean. The problem is that there simply isn't enough play between the bottom of the trigger assembly and the trigger housing--once the stock bracket is re-attached to the receiver the safety bar cannot move.

stangfish
09-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Can you use a flat surface with sandpaper to mill down the dimension.

thermaler
09-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Can you use a flat surface with sandpaper to mill down the dimension.Im pretty sure that filing down either the bottom of the trigger housing or the top of the safety bar would do the trick--but that would permanently alter the stock components and likely make them unusable with anything else should I change my mind about the trigger--something I like to avoid. But I'll call the folks at SSS tomorrow--I'm sure I'm not the first to run into this and hopefully they will steer me onto the path of eternal happiness and contentment. : )

thermaler
09-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Well, looks like the situation has gone from bad to worse--I tried calling SSS number and the phone recording says they are not accepting phone calls or voicemail messages. They only give their web address and snail-mail address.

I'm bailing on this trigger--it's never been fired and I will list it in the classified--PM with an offer, you know how much they cost new.

bodywerks
09-30-2013, 02:31 PM
Need pics. Haven't done a 111 job but done several 110's. If you posted pics w might be able to help you out. Its a better trigger than most and worth the trouble to get it to work.

LoneWolf
09-30-2013, 02:41 PM
Well, looks like the situation has gone from bad to worse--I tried calling SSS number and the phone recording says they are not accepting phone calls or voicemail messages. They only give their web address and snail-mail address.

I'm bailing on this trigger--it's never been fired and I will list it in the classified--PM with an offer, you know how much they cost new.

Therm - If you email them requesting they call you back, they usually are pretty responsive. Let them know you have an installation issue with their product and I'm sure they will make every effort to contact you. In the mean time I would say put up some pictures of what you are looking at because as you know there are a lot of experienced guys willing to help around here. I've been frustrated with things before and sometimes it just takes the right person to make one simeple suggestion!

thermaler
09-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Therm - If you email them requesting they call you back, they usually are pretty responsive. Let them know you have an installation issue with their product and I'm sure they will make every effort to contact you. In the mean time I would say put up some pictures of what you are looking at because as you know there are a lot of experienced guys willing to help around here. I've been frustrated with things before and sometimes it just takes the right person to make one simeple suggestion!Will do when I have the time--which is not right now since this process falls into the category of "multi-hour/day" install.

LoneWolf
09-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Will do when I have the time--which is not right now since this process falls into the category of "multi-hour/day" install.

I believe in this case the juice is worth the squeeze!

thermaler
09-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Need pics. Haven't done a 111 job but done several 110's. If you posted pics w might be able to help you out. Its a better trigger than most and worth the trouble to get it to work.Will do when I get back from from my hunt next week.

JW
09-30-2013, 05:24 PM
I am working off memory but the first time I installed an ss trigger, it was "bound up" and I figured out my problem (which might not be yours)
I was trying to install the back end or tang end of the new trigger in the frame that is left on rifle when trigger is removed and safety in place
Pin went in and looked good. It was very snug and did not work
The new trigger just sits on top of the frame (back/tang end of trigger)
When I put it in loose like that things were wonderful
Not sure if this will help but it can't hurt
Hope you get it worked out
It is a great trigger
Jack

thermaler
09-30-2013, 06:11 PM
I am working off memory but the first time I installed an ss trigger, it was "bound up" and I figured out my problem (which might not be yours)
I was trying to install the back end or tang end of the new trigger in the frame that is left on rifle when trigger is removed and safety in place
Pin went in and looked good. It was very snug and did not work
The new trigger just sits on top of the frame (back/tang end of trigger)
When I put it in loose like that things were wonderful
Not sure if this will help but it can't hurt
Hope you get it worked out
It is a great trigger
Jack

I kiss your feet JW...That did the trick! Eureka! (I suppose it doesn't make sense to put that in the instructions with an illustration).

PM me your address and preferred caliber and you have a box of ammo coming your way : )

PS: sorry to be a whiny-*** in front of the rest of you, as Gilda would say "Never Mind"
PSS: Mr Furious--feel free to kill this thread--except for the part JW mentions which is truly useful.

LoneWolf
09-30-2013, 06:37 PM
I kiss your feet JW...That did the trick! Eureka! (I suppose it doesn't make sense to put that in the instructions with an illustration).

PM me your address and preferred caliber and you have a box of ammo coming your way : )

PS: sorry to be a whiny-*** in front of the rest of you, as Gilda would say "Never Mind"
PSS: Mr Furious--feel free to kill this thread--except for the part JW mentions which is truly useful.

Bugger!!!! I would have done more research had I known there was a Box of ammo involved! lol!

thermaler
09-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Bugger!!!! I would have done more research had I known there was a Box of ammo involved! lol!Well, for my next problem-solver that saves me days of waiting and effort I'll make a reward. : )

LoneWolf
09-30-2013, 06:51 PM
lol done deal!!!