PDA

View Full Version : Savage 220: Which Boyd's 110 stock for a 220F?

Pages : 1 [2]

stangfish
10-07-2013, 07:53 PM
I had no experience with the 220 but plenty with the 110 and 10. From what I see you will need to buy a blind mag Center feed long action stock and have it inleted to fit your bottom metal. I don't think there is any other answer.

Here is one option
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=9422&cat=1223

You could order one that is inleted and use a filler to cover up the openings.

JimTh
10-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Perfect! That finally answers my question. If I'm willing to deal with the gap, I don't have to do a full inletting. Now I just have to make a decision.

stangfish
10-07-2013, 08:34 PM
It is a little easier if you have all the data. Stepping out on a limb you are breaking some new ground and others will follow goinssr and you.

This is the one you would want.
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=19162&cat=1223

JimTh
10-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Just got off the phone with Boyd's. I believe we'll have to use the Featherweight Thumbhole. The Classic doesn't have enough wood on the sides to open up the barrel channel. The two successful projects I've seen (dlesh and one on snipershide I think) both used the wide style forend. The lady said the sides would be too weak. I guess if you were willing to take the sides all the way off and have an exposed barrel you could try it.
I'm just about set on going the Featherweight Thumbhole DBM route right now. I think I can cut a piece of aluminum or stainless to go just ahead of the bottom metal to fill the gap and look good. I just don't have time for inletting right now.

goinssr
10-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Well, this is NOT good news for me. I do not like thumbhole stocks and won't have one. I'm a right hander but shoot left handed. When I'm hunting I want to be able to shoot from either shoulder depending which side the animal comes in on. Thumbholes are okay for bench shooting but for me they have no place on a hunting rifle. I was wanting to do this on a Classic or maybe a Prairie Hunter model.

JimTh
10-08-2013, 08:44 PM
I hear you. I really want the Classic, but I think it'll end up looking like one of their wild .22 stocks with the exposed barrel.

stangfish
10-08-2013, 09:25 PM
There is no problem using the classic or the prairie hunter. It is not weak but it is thin. Rather than a shelf on either side of the barrel you have a fine edge.

JimTh
10-09-2013, 04:34 PM
I ordered a nutmeg featherweight thumbhole blind mag today with a Pachmayr buttpad. They also have a varmint thumbhole available that should work, but I didn't want such a large forend.

After studying goinssr's picture more I realized the dimensions are different at the back too. The back of the 111 metal is further forward than the 220. I decided to go with the proven solution of inletting the whole darn bottom.

rjtfroggy
10-10-2013, 08:11 AM
You convinced me to try it I will be ordering a stock today.
What have you found for ammo for yours, I have tied 5 different brands and all shoot 2-3" at 100. This is with 2 3/4 shells my shoulder and back don't like the 3" mags.

goinssr
10-10-2013, 12:15 PM
You convinced me to try it I will be ordering a stock today.
What have you found for ammo for yours, I have tied 5 different brands and all shoot 2-3" at 100. This is with 2 3/4 shells my shoulder and back don't like the 3" mags.
I think some of the accuracy issues you have can be attributed to the cheesy stock that the gun lives in. I'd venture to say that once you put it in a good stock and bed it you will see real improvement.

JimTh
10-10-2013, 06:53 PM
My blued one does really well with Hornady SSTs. My stainless one, I didn't shoot very well because I started with harder kicking slugs. It'll get another chance once it's in a heavier stock.

JimTh
10-16-2013, 08:00 AM
So...I actually emailed Boyd's last week before I called them. Yesterday they responded via email and told me I COULD inlet a heavy barrel in a Classic. I called them up, explained to the girl that I had received conflicting information, then explained that I really wanted to know if I could open a Classic forend up to 1". She said she'd have to look into this and call me back. She sent me another email about an hour later with a copy/paste of barrel channel info from the Featherweight Thumbhole page. I replied and tried to explain - again - that they told me two different things, which one is right. If I don't get an email response by about lunch, I'm going to call them again.

JimTh
10-16-2013, 11:25 AM
UPDATE! I got through to Boyd's 20 or 30 minutes ago and let the lady know my question was still not answered. She said she would get someone else to look into it for me. Just got a call from a very helpful lady that explained that the Classic can be opened up to 0.920" (hard numbers! yay!) without going too thin. 220F barrel channel is about 1.00" last time I checked, so that makes the Classic a "go" in my mind. I convinced her to change my (custom) FT order to the Classic.

Gunbutcher
11-10-2013, 02:57 AM
Guy's go to turkeyshoot.net look @ the equipment page & email Frank Boyer, Gunworks or B&W any of those guys can help. They build custom shotgun for turkey shoots using these actions .

JimTh
11-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Quick update: I have inlet the stock using my mini-mill. I find I am in need of a longer front screw. I have assembled the whole thing and it cycled shells just fine.