PDA

View Full Version : Stock finish

n4ue
09-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Hi. Couldn't decide where to post this....
Anyone have any info on how to put a 'spiderweb/splatter' finish on a syn stock? There are some nice ($$) aftermarket stocks that are black, with the stringy, white splatter paint.
I have lots of Savage rifles and I'd like to try this on one......

Thanks,

ron

RP12
09-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Krylon splatter paint. But practice on something else first.

stangfish
09-27-2013, 08:56 PM
I have used the krylon and have not been successful at duplicating the effects of the aftermarket stock manufacturers. Someone posted some information using auto paint and low presure or something... I can't remember.

shooterfpga
09-27-2013, 09:03 PM
Its been awhile since ive messed with anything creative like that. I would research nail polish called crackling. It gives that desired effect on finger nails. Whatever is in it you might be able to use on a stock and then use a clear coat over to seal it. In fact i was talking with my girlfriend about trying it ouy myself on a gun. Ill post a pic of what i mean in a second.

http://pamperedandpolished.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/China-Glaze-Broken-Hearted-.jpg

sbarcewski
09-27-2013, 10:28 PM
I've been thinking bout this as well. What if you paint your stock the desired base color, then take a complimentary color or contrasting color (your choice) load up a paint brush and let the paint "Drizzle" off the brush as you move it across/around/over/past the stock. Not so much in a splatter pattern but along the lines of the webbing pattern.

jonbearman
09-28-2013, 08:59 AM
I would talk to a guy who paints custom motorcycle tank as these guys are artists.You could send it to one of the companys that does custom work or a body shop as they probably have done this before.I thought the trick was under thinning the paint on low pressure to get the gun to shoot the web pattern.

stangfish
09-28-2013, 10:23 AM
I thought the trick was under thinning the paint on low pressure to get the gun to shoot the web pattern.

Man I just don't remember but your warm my brother, very warm.

That crackling is wicked too.