PDA

View Full Version : 270wsm to 260ai questions

Tim300wsm
09-27-2013, 08:26 AM
I just bought a 270wsm model 10 barreled action from the classifieds with plans to turn it into a 260ai i know i will need a new bolt face and i'm a firing pin assembly. my question is can i buy any 308 short action bolt face and where can i get a firing pin assembly. also is there anything else i will need to change. thanks guys.

FW Conch
09-27-2013, 11:45 AM
I know that we "barrel nuts" are never satisfied, but there are a lot of 270WSM owners out there that just love them. I have a 260 Rem and really like it, but just wondering, why do you want to go from the 270WSM to 260AI ? Other than "why not", "because I can", etc.,etc.;-)! I must confess, I'm leaning toward building a 7mm SAUM :-).......Good Luck......Jim

stangfish
09-27-2013, 02:43 PM
If it is a factory WSM you may want to check on the "shank" size. If it is a controll round feed you will have to remove the ejector. I did not have a problem with my firing pin size going from the control round feed wsm bolt head to a .473 push feed. Not knowing much about your stuff I just thought a little FYI would be good.

Tim300wsm
09-27-2013, 04:31 PM
I know that we "barrel nuts" are never satisfied, but there are a lot of 270WSM owners out there that just love them. I have a 260 Rem and really like it, but just wondering, why do you want to go from the 270WSM to 260AI ? Other than "why not", "because I can", etc.,etc.;-)! I must confess, I'm leaning toward building a 7mm SAUM :-).......Good Luck......Jim

I want a 260ai because i plan to use this as a long range target rifle. 260 has better brass for half the price. There is a much better selection of bullets. It uses less powder. 260ai has a much longer barrel life and i already have a 300wsm which will do anything a 270 will do better. I thought about a 7saum but the barrel life is a little short for me and brass avalibility isn't very good.

Tim300wsm
09-27-2013, 04:35 PM
I am pretty sure its a large shank action but i havent got it yet its on its way. I thought the bolt head on the wsm was larger than the standard and required a different firing pin if not all the better.

stomp442
09-27-2013, 06:01 PM
If the bolt head requires the larger firing pin hole a small drill bit and a steady hand will get the job done. Should just need to change out the bolt head and away you go though. I love me a good .270 but for what you are describing I think the 260AI will be better. Good luck with the build.

Tim300wsm
09-27-2013, 06:40 PM
I was thinking aboit the ptg bolt jeas instead of a factory one. Has anyone tried one of them. I also plan on getting a t&t done if i can get through to SSS or stockade but i want to have it ready to go next spring so i dont know if that will be possible