PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10 TR or 10 P-SR? Which one to get?

M4J0R T0M
09-27-2013, 08:25 AM
I've been researching the net for the last couple days trying to decide on a 308 hunting rifle that I can convert to a precision rifle later on down the road. Originally I was going to get a Remington 700 AAC-SD, but was convinced to take a look at Savage and I'm glad I did. I found some info on the 10 P-SR and 10 TR and decided I wanted the TR but couldn't find one anywhere. So after deciding on a 10 P-SR, low and behold I came across someone selling a TR locally.

Heres my dilemma, I know I'm getting one of these rifles for sure but I can't decide which. The P-SR is gonna cost me $530 shipped to my ffl and the TR is gonna cost me $700 shipped to my ffl (apparently the guy knows that it's a rare rifle).

With the TR I'm getting the rail, the accustock, and an extra 2" on the barrel. I'll eventually be getting a .308 can and suppressing the rifle and after this deer season probably be ditching the factory stock for something a little more "tacticool".

Is it worth the extra $150 for the TR considering my intended uses? I like the fact that I'd have a rare and collectible rifle and the extant barrel length for velocity. But I also like the shorter barrel of the P-SR for suppression and I'll be ditching the stock later on anyways. What do y'all think?

Here are some links to the rifles in case you aren't familiar with them. Savage 10 P-SR (http://grabagun.com/savage-arms-10-p-sr-308-18-hvy-thr-blk.html) and the Savage 10 TR (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_5/401634_Savage_10_TR_What_Do_You_Know_About_It.html ) and here (http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?25377-Savage-10-TR-details)

BoilerUP
09-27-2013, 09:35 AM
The attraction to the 10TR is the value it provides; for $170 more than a 10P-SR the value proposition is totally shot.

...especially if you plan to upgrade the stock to a Manners/McMillan or a chassis down the road.

The velocity difference between a 18" and 20" 308 is pretty small, maybe 30fps? And depending on what kind of can you get, having 2" less barrel could make the whole thing balance better and easier for hunting.

M4J0R T0M
09-27-2013, 10:19 AM
The attraction to the 10TR is the value it provides; for $170 more than a 10P-SR the value proposition is totally shot.

...especially if you plan to upgrade the stock to a Manners/McMillan or a chassis down the road.

The velocity difference between a 18" and 20" 308 is pretty small, maybe 30fps? And depending on what kind of can you get, having 2" less barrel could make the whole thing balance better and easier for hunting.

If it's only around 30 fps then the 18" is looking much better for hunting and for suppressed use. After you eliminate the barrel the only other real difference is the accustock and the collectibility aspect. How much difference is there on the standard stock and accustock? Remember that I'll be using he factory stock this year for deer hunting and probably upgrading after that.

I don't know if either of those qualities warrant an extra $150.

Thanks for your reply, it's got me leaning towards the P-SR.

SlimySquirrel
09-27-2013, 10:38 AM
If you are upgrading then you can go without, The accustock is good but if you are upgrading then invest that $150 into a new stock.

Sounds like you are after something to carry.. that plays a part as the lighter ones cost a tad more so no point wasting money that could be used for a Manners or McMillan.. You can always stiffen up the factory stock pretty cheaply until next year.

shooterfpga
09-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Would it benefit much to bed a non accustock? I havent been able to google anyone with a newer non accustock and see if its madr a difference in accuracy.

SlimySquirrel
09-27-2013, 03:54 PM
It would be beneficial to stiffen the stock... Bedding would certainly help but so would be better with the stiffer stock.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?13792-stiffening-tuppetware-stock

big honkin jeep
09-27-2013, 10:20 PM
I'd keep looking because though they aren't on every dealers shelves the 10 TRs can be found with a little patience. A new on in the box sold on a local trader site here in Ga about a week ago for $500 It stayed there for about 24 hours before selling which really surprised me. Though it's currently out of stock I picked mine up new in box from a local dealer for even less, out the door.
You might try using google (Savage 10 TR for sale) or watching the auction sites. (The big one especially)
be patient and save a couple of hundred.
The 10 P SR is another great value and I don't think you'll go wrong with either.

shooterfpga
09-27-2013, 10:28 PM
Thats a tough choice. Only plus i can see is the tr has an accustock. My sr is pretty **** accurate as is with a non accustock but as someone who always does mods to everything i own i wanna pinch out that extra performance i can.

M4J0R T0M
09-28-2013, 12:09 AM
I'd keep looking because though they aren't on every dealers shelves the 10 TRs can be found with a little patience. A new on in the box sold on a local trader site here in Ga about a week ago for $500 It stayed there for about 24 hours before selling which really surprised me. Though it's currently out of stock I picked mine up new in box from a local dealer for even less, out the door.
You might try using google (Savage 10 TR for sale) or watching the auction sites. (The big one especially)
be patient and save a couple of hundred.
The 10 P SR is another great value and I don't think you'll go wrong with either.

I know that site well ;)

Thats a tough choice. Only plus i can see is the tr has an accustock. My sr is pretty **** accurate as is with a non accustock but as someone who always does mods to everything i own i wanna pinch out that extra performance i can.

You sound like me, I can stand to leave anything stock for very long. I always have to modify and tinker. What all mods have you done to your SR?

shooterfpga
09-28-2013, 12:51 AM
I know that site well ;)

You sound like me, I can stand to leave anything stock for very long. I always have to modify and tinker. What all mods have you done to your SR?

Ive only had it for a week now so im in the same boat lookin for mods. Right now its just setup stock but already been painted as of a few days ago. A lot of the things from factory are mods i wouldve done anyways so atleast i really only need a stock and extended mag. Im waiting for a ross schuler brake right now.

dirtdigger
09-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Does anybody have a Savage part# for a 20" TR? I tried to order one through a local dealer but he needs something for reference. The cheapest I could find P-SR locally is $600 and everybody wants $70-80 for a long gun transfer from outta state if I procure one from an auction site which beats the purpose.

shooterfpga
09-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Does anybody have a Savage part# for a 20" TR? I tried to order one through a local dealer but he needs something for reference. The cheapest I could find P-SR locally is $600 and everybody wants $70-80 for a long gun transfer from outta state if I procure one from an auction site which beats the purpose.

Product #19984
Upc # 011356199843

Google that and make sure thats the right one youre wanting.

M4J0R T0M
09-28-2013, 04:48 PM

Check the link in my op you'll see where I ordered mine from. It came to $531 shipped. I can't believe they charge you $70-80 for a freaking transfer, that's outrageous. Most of the places around here charge $40-50 but there's on shop that still charges $25, guess who I use...

shooterfpga
09-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Check the link in my op you'll see where I ordered mine from. It came to $531 shipped. I can't believe they charge you $70-80 for a freaking transfer, that's outrageous. Most of the places around here charge $40-50 but there's on shop that still charges $25, guess who I use...

Which one did you end up buying?

M4J0R T0M
09-28-2013, 05:36 PM
I ended up getting the P-SR from grabagun.com I decided the nicer stock wasn't worth the hassle of trying to find one. Plus I like the shorter barrel for hunting and suppressor use.