PDA

View Full Version : Swapping the position of the bolt release -- except the other direction?!

iotarho
09-27-2013, 03:51 AM
I've been reading quite a few posts where people have been able to modify Savage's new (and mostly cursed) trigger bolt release, and move it back up in front of the bolt handle "where it belongs".

I've got the opposite problem... got a great price on an XLR stock but come to find out it has a trigger bolt release. But my Savage long action has a top bolt release. The bolt release sticks out enough to keep the action from sitting in the XLR chassis. Seems like I have three options (well, other than give up and sell the shop):

1. Find a way to move the bolt release down into the trigger. I'm hoping if people have moved it the opposite direction, this might be feasible? Can the release lever be cut off and "inverted" so it's operated from the trigger?

2. Have material milled out of the chassis so this style action will fit.

3. Hope I bump into someone trying to go the opposite direction, with a new style (small shank long) action with a trigger bolt release that wants to trade actions :).

M4J0R T0M
09-27-2013, 08:12 AM
I'm getting ready to buy either the 10 TR or 10 P-SR. Both have the bottom bolt release and I'll be wanting to change mine. I'd be happy to do the swap with you provided I can get the swap to work.

Does your rifle have metal or plastic bottom metal?

Can an you link those threads describing swapping from bottom to top?

geargrinder
09-27-2013, 10:47 AM
You could contact XLR and see if they will mod the chassis for you. I prefer the top release anyway.

iotarho
09-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. Yeah geargrinder that's definitely one of the options I'm thinking about. Kyle at XLR already has a huge backlog though and not sure if a small job like this would be worth it for him. Never hurts to ask.

MajorTom I *think* (can check for certain later) my Savage came with a plastic trigger guard and had the blind magazine. Not sure if that would work for you, but keep me posted. Swapping triggers + actions with someone that doesn't like the trigger bolt release seems like it would be the best way to go... at least the way that doesn't involve machining parts to something they weren't originally intended for!

Here's one of the threads:
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?15295-aftermarket-trigger-in-a-newer-bottom-bolt-release-action

And a youtube video showing a different job, but at least giving an idea of the work involved in relocating a bolt release:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p8fzXzgxdE

jonbearman
09-27-2013, 05:34 PM
With the welded version,do you pull on it or push like the old style?

iotarho
09-28-2013, 11:31 PM
It's the old school push style jonbearman.

I'd be curious to know if the trigger assemblies between old and new Savage 110s are swappable?

stangfish
09-28-2013, 11:36 PM
I'd be curious to know if the trigger assemblies between old and new Savage 110s are swappable?

That is a broad question. There are some variables and caveat's.