PDA

View Full Version : can anybody help date my 110

davis74
09-26-2013, 09:30 PM
hi all new member here, found this form on other forums trying to research my rifle. so anyways my father gave me this gun back in the early 80's, its a model 110, in .243 with a four digit serial number 99xx and I recently pulled it out of the safe to try to do some predator hunting with it. I wanted to put a new barrel on it because the tip has rust and pitting so I called savage to get the date of manufacture, it has a four digit serial number and they said that their records do not go back that far that I would have to call a savage historian. I thought I would try here first as there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people on here. I'm not sure on the action long or short thats why im here for help. I would like to learn about my rifle. If any body needs more info let me know and thanks for any and all help.

Silvercrow1
09-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Hi Davis74- How cool to be using a rifle thats been "in the family" ! There are PLENTY (whole bunch, tons as the young folks say) people here with a vast amount of knowledge.

Check the "sticky" at the to of the page on this (the 110) forum and you'll probably get an inkling as to a time frame for your rifle. I used it and found that mine was an early 90s build. There are also a few guys here that are Savage historians- hopefully they see this and chime in.

There were actually three "size" actions over the years; short, long and an intermediant. The specific numbers are in the FAQs, or you can use the "search" function on the 110 forum. When I first joined (this spring) I just started reading page after page in the 110 forum. It was fun, informative and gave me an insight to some of the folks here. Of course, I realize that other folks may actually have a life and not be able to spend nights on end reading every post...:wacko:

You wont find a better bunch of folks on any other board (I'm serious). I'm a new-be too and the help I got along the way is invaluable.

My bet is you'll have that rifle re-barreled and shooting before you know it.

WELCOME and keep shootin' and postin'! Brian

davis74
09-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Thanks for your reply Bryan I am now cruisin all the facts and all the stickies so hopefully I can figure this little thing out thanks for your reply

Silvercrow1
09-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Thanks for your reply Bryan I am now cruisin all the facts and all the stickies so hopefully I can figure this little thing out thanks for your reply

No problem. I'd be glad to help with specifics but I'm at work and gotta go....Brian

J.Baker
09-26-2013, 10:04 PM
With only a 4-digit serial number I'd say it's highly likely its from 1959 or 1960. I had a 110 with a 1962 date stamp and it had a 5 digit S/N. Being it's an original 243 it should be an Gen I short-action (4.522" action screw spacing). It will also have the old shrouded bolt assembly which means you can't use any current production or aftermarket "pre-fit" barrels on it. Changing the stock would also be problematic as those early 110's were shallower in the belly and all the aftermarket stocks are designed for the newer, taller trigger assembly and thus the trigger will only stick 1/2" or so out of the bottom of the stock when assembled.

My suggestion: Leave it alone and unmolested. It's a heritage gun with 50+/- years of family history already so keep it and enjoy it as-is and pass it along to your kids when the time comes. Go find a newer used one in a pawn shop for $300 if you want one to build from.

davis74
09-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Thanks for your reply MrFurious. I was thinking the same thing. I know its old just don't know how old. probably just clean it up and put it back in the safe and use it for a backup and get a newer model for predators but still want to learn as much as I can about my 110

davis74
09-28-2013, 12:46 AM
Thanks for all the help guys

J.Baker
09-29-2013, 02:43 AM
When Mad Dog gets back ask in the Vintage Centerfire board and give him the date code stamped on the barrel (usually a number and letter inside a circle). Might have to pull the barreled action out of the stock to find it. That will give the month/year of production. I used to have that info, but I'll be darned if I can find it now.