PDA

View Full Version : Need some bolt help/advice

coyotewallace
09-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Ok, So here is what I have...
Savage Model 12 Left port, right bolt chambered in 22-250 so I have a complete bolt setup with the standard bolt face. What I would like to know is where or if I can buy complete bolts for this action setup(right bolt handle, left eject). I'm looking for 2 complete bolts, 1 with .223 bolt face and 1 in a magnum bolt face....
Sure could use some advice.
Thx

Chuck

JW
09-26-2013, 08:30 PM
My guess would be Savage but I think you would need an FFL to order
It is probably restricted to gunsmiths
Sharp shooter supply and Northland shooter supply would be others I would try
Hope this helps
Jack

coyotewallace
09-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Jack,
Thank You...I'll give the 2 you posted a call

Wildboarem
09-26-2013, 09:29 PM
Isn't it a rh bolt assembly with a lh bolt face. You could just order the lh bolt head and swap then sell rh bolt head/face in the classifieds. I just got my bolt head parts from numerich/gunparts

coyotewallace
09-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Isn't it a rh bolt assembly with a lh bolt face. You could just order the lh bolt head and swap then sell rh bolt head/face in the classifieds. I just got my bolt head parts from numerich/gunparts

Sounds right...I'm new to this Savage/parts
It is a right bolt handle with a left port/eject action
End result is I would like 3 complete bolts...
1)for the 223 size cases
1)for the 308 size cases(which I have now)
1)for magnum size cases.IE:338 edge

jonbearman
09-26-2013, 11:14 PM
Really all you need is 3 lh bolt heads complete.It is easy to switch them out.

coyotewallace
09-27-2013, 12:49 AM
Really all you need is 3 lh bolt heads complete.It is easy to switch them out.
Will you walk me through changing the complete bolt heads out? And can you tell me the best place to get the complete bolt heads?

Also Savage told me when I used the Magnum bolt head I would need a different firing pin assembly, This true?

bootsmcguire
09-27-2013, 01:25 AM
Will you walk me through changing the complete bolt heads out? And can you tell me the best place to get the complete bolt heads?

Also Savage told me when I used the Magnum bolt head I would need a different firing pin assembly, This true?

The factory magnum bolt face for the Short action of PTA will require a different pin assembly, but if you buy a Long action magnum bolt head and have a machine shop shorten the stem to the same length as your 22-250 bolt head then it will work just fine with your pin assembly.

To remove the bolt head:

- remove the Bolt Assembly Screw (at rear of bolt)
- slide off the bolt handle and rear baffle
- slide the black sleeve (visible through the cut out in the side of the bolt body) all the way back and lift out the little button on the side of the bolt.
- firing pin assembly will fall out the back
- then push the small black pin out (cross ways through bolt body behind the bolt head)
-slide out bolt head, spring washer, and front baffle

Reassembly is reverse order, just put in whatever bolt head you need, reassemble and headspace your different barrel and you're all set.

If you become a paid member there is a nice article you can access that will give you better details and pictures on this process, IIRC. It'll be the best $15 you spend all year.

coyotewallace
09-27-2013, 01:34 AM
The factory magnum bolt face for the Short action of PTA will require a different pin assembly, but if you buy a Long action magnum bolt head and have a machine shop shorten the stem to the same length as your 22-250 bolt head then it will work just fine with your pin assembly.

To remove the bolt head:

- remove the Bolt Assembly Screw (at rear of bolt)
- slide off the bolt handle and rear baffle
- slide the black sleeve (visible through the cut out in the side of the bolt body) all the way back and lift out the little button on the side of the bolt.
- firing pin assembly will fall out the back
- then push the small black pin out (cross ways through bolt body behind the bolt head)
-slide out bolt head, spring washer, and front baffle

Reassembly is reverse order, just put in whatever bolt head you need, reassemble and headspace your different barrel and you're all set.

If you become a paid member there is a nice article you can access that will give you better details and pictures on this process, IIRC. It'll be the best $15 you spend all year.

Thx guys for the help..
I am going to put this $15.00 to good use...

Be right back...

coyotewallace
09-27-2013, 02:08 AM
Ok I'm back!
So let me see if I got this
I just need to buy a left hand complete long action magnum bolt head and a left hand 223 size complete bolt head and I'll have it all covered?

bootsmcguire
09-30-2013, 11:04 PM
Correct, but you must have the stem on the LA Mag head shortened to the exact same length as the SA heads.

coyotewallace
10-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Thx Boots