PDA

View Full Version : 300 win mag build

thermaler
09-26-2013, 08:49 AM
For your viewing pleasure here is a shot of my new 111 hunter build underway. I tossed the idea of aftermarket stocks back and forth and decided to instead do an "axis job" on the stock plastic stock for the (cheapo) heck of it. This included reinforcing and partially bedding the fore-end/ receiver area as well as putting a pillar into and filling the buttstock area-- lastly painting. Installed a warne 20 MOA single piece rail which awaits arrival of SWFA 16 ss scope and rings. Once brake and replacement trigger are installed she'll be good to go.
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s388/triggerpull/rebuild_zps8ba243fb.jpg (http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/triggerpull/media/rebuild_zps8ba243fb.jpg.html)

LoneWolf
09-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Looks good man. The guy next to me in the Long Range match I participated in over the weekend was shooting a .300 win mag rig. I'm pretty sure it was a remi though. I was the only savage shooter on the line out of 7 participants. The guy that won was shooting a custom McMillan rifle. Once i get the bolt handle modified and the action bedded plus a little more data on my rifle i think I'd be able to hang though. The guy was also a retired Marine/Police Sniper. I'm a good shot, but I don't have that experience to lean on!

thermaler
09-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Looks good man. The guy next to me in the Long Range match I participated in over the weekend was shooting a .300 win mag rig. I'm pretty sure it was a remi though. I was the only savage shooter on the line out of 7 participants. The guy that won was shooting a custom McMillan rifle. Once i get the bolt handle modified and the action bedded plus a little more data on my rifle i think I'd be able to hang though. The guy was also a retired Marine/Police Sniper. I'm a good shot, but I don't have that experience to lean on!Thanx : )

Were you shooting your new build? That rig looks awesome--I would personally spend some reasonable range time really getting to know your rig and breaking her in--I bet you as she "settles down" and you find the sweet spot loads she'll be a great shooter that will do well for you at the matches.

LoneWolf
09-26-2013, 10:52 AM
I did shoot my Axis. Once I finish up the final details of the build, reloading will be my next investment. a box of 100rds of the match ammo I've been using costs just as much as the Lee starter kits, so I think it's very justified. I just have to find where I can get all the reloading components from without always having to order online or pay the ridiculous prices the local gun shops try to rape you for here in SOCAL. Overall I'm very comfortable and confident with the .308 in this rifle. I just have to gather the gear and knowledge to be comfortable doing my part!

thermaler
09-26-2013, 11:16 AM
I did shoot my Axis. Once I finish up the final details of the build, reloading will be my next investment. a box of 100rds of the match ammo I've been using costs just as much as the Lee starter kits, so I think it's very justified. I just have to find where I can get all the reloading components from without always having to order online or pay the ridiculous prices the local gun shops try to rape you for here in SOCAL. Overall I'm very comfortable and confident with the .308 in this rifle. I just have to gather the gear and knowledge to be comfortable doing my part!that 308 axis is the perfect gun to break into reloading--that's what I learned on. It has a "generous" throat and magazine length capacity which will allow you to fully explore all your loads in terms of seating--and you can't beat 30 cal in terms of verstatility--that's the reason I selected 300 win mag as my long range build base. There's plenty of stuff out there on-line..I'd give you some of my recipes but your gun barrel is different enough I doubt you'll have the same results.

WYcoyote
09-26-2013, 06:17 PM
that 308 axis is the perfect gun to break into reloading--that's what I learned on. It has a "generous" throat and magazine length capacity which will allow you to fully explore all your loads in terms of seating--and you can't beat 30 cal in terms of verstatility--that's the reason I selected 300 win mag as my long range build base. There's plenty of stuff out there on-line..I'd give you some of my recipes but your gun barrel is different enough I doubt you'll have the same results.

I can't get closer to the lands than .240" in my Savage 116 in .300 WM because of the magazine length.

thermaler
09-26-2013, 08:16 PM
I can't get closer to the lands than .240" in my Savage 116 in .300 WM because of the magazine length.The 111 mag looks pretty generous--plenty of room left after loading a conventional factory round--but I've yet to measure the chamber/throat dimensions--so who knows.

Jetpig
09-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Savage factory is known for a long throat. Curious to see what your's measures out at Therm.