PDA

View Full Version : Places for time and true

missed
09-25-2013, 08:07 AM
Where are some good places for t&t ?

Sss isn't even scheduling any work till after the first of the year.

I called stockade but can't get a return phone call.

The hard bolt lift at the end sucks.

I have not been able to fire it after turning the firing pin nut to see any improvement there. I have wondered if a ptg or sss bolt body could make some improvement.

geargrinder
09-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Those are to only two places that I would send mine to.

When you do talk to Stockade, I hope you are sitting comfortably. Kevin likes to chat.

Nor Cal Mikie
09-26-2013, 09:00 AM
The only place that does the "real" Time and True is Sharp Shooter Supply. Fred has his own way of doing that work. No one else that I know of will go to the effort to machine the bolt body (part of the time and true process). Other folks will "true" the action and barrel nut.

missed
09-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Then I guess I'll just have to wait.

I'm going to shoot it today or tomorrow after the firing spring nut adjustment and see if that helps. My 22-250 is smooth as can be even with loads hot enough that they are flattening primers. 308 on the other hand not so lucky.

RiverSink
09-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Nor Cal Mikie, have you had Kevin T&T an action for you before?

Nor Cal Mikie
09-26-2013, 11:29 PM
No I havn't. Only had one done (so far) and that was done by Fred at SSS. If you look at all that goes in to the T&T process by SSS you'll see the difference. Fred is the one that started the T&T way back when and so far, I don't think anybody else does the same thing.
Lots of folks say they'll do the T&T but I don't think they go the full route. Could be wrong but so far, I havn't seen anybody match his T&T process, item for item.

geargrinder
09-27-2013, 10:44 AM
I think Kevin does it the same or very similar. Kevin and Fred used to be partners way back. That's why I would only trust my stuff with them.

They are the only two that really understand the workings of a Savage action. Most of the other gunsmiths out there want to treat our actions like a Remington.

Nor Cal Mikie
09-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Interesting! You learn something new every day.

LRJammer
09-28-2013, 08:59 AM
I wouldnt hesitate to send it to Kevin Rahill. He gave me a time quote on a true & time that I was very skeptical of. He was more than true to his word and I recieved my action back even faster than quoted. That almost NEVER happens in this industry. Yes, he does like to talk, but he is a nice guy to talk to. My Stevens 200 based custom that Kevin trued out-shot some very expensive high end builds at a long range precision rifle course recently. Now, I wouldnt send my work to anyon BUT Kevin Rahill.

dondick
09-28-2013, 09:19 AM
I just ordered a bolt lift kit from Stockade . I am in Texas , I had to wait til after 11:00 am to get an answer . I placed the order on a Tues and it was in my hands Thurs afternoon . I wouldn't hesitate to use them for anything , good people .