PDA

View Full Version : Bed a aluminum V-block stock?

JeepsAndGuns
09-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Just wondering what everyones opinion is on bedding a aluminum V-block stock?
I have a choate ultimate varmiter and love it. I have had the rifle in this stock for a few years and had to take it down to do some work. (wont go into much detail) but I went ahead and had the action T&T at SSS and a couple other things.
I am wanting to get the most out of it I can. I have bedded the scope base as I found if I snugged up the front screws, the back of the base lifted off the reciever a hair. Also installing a new scope.
Anyways, I was wondering if there was anything I could do to the stock. I found my tang was touching, so I floated that. I have searched around a bit and it seems its mostly 50-50. Some say to bed it, as any and all stocks could benifit from it, while others say thats the whole point to a V-block stock, is you do not have to bed.
So I thought I would get some opinions from here.

CharlieNC
09-25-2013, 12:57 PM
I checked into this and found no one who claimed it helped. The only area I see which may benefit is the recoil lug, but that would require removing enough metal from the block to get clearance for the bedding.

FW Conch
09-25-2013, 07:01 PM
I agree with CharlieNC. On my stocks with a metal bedding block, the only thing I glass bed is the back of the recoil lug, if it doesn't touch the stock. I also would be glad to hear from others on the issue. Thanks........Jim

missed
09-25-2013, 07:26 PM
I did one of mine and got no improvement. I think as long as the block is properly machined and you torque the action properly it is just as good as a bedding job. John Whidden uses blocks in his stocks and says there just as good as bedding.

JeepsAndGuns
09-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Is there any good way to test or see if the recoil lug is making good contact?
Thanks for all the opinions, keep them coming, I want as many as I can get.

snowgetter1
09-25-2013, 08:53 PM
Maybe put a piece of tape on the back of the recoil lug and Kiwi/crayon on the block, put it together, and see if any rubs on the tape?