PDA

View Full Version : New to loading

Pages : [1] 2

mpeters
09-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Hey guys I've never reloaded before and I'm really starting to get big into shooting so I'm thinking this is the most economical thing for me to do. So what I'm wanting to know is where is the best place to buy some dyes or does someone have a set of .243 dyes that are still in good shape that they would like to let go of?

Also I have been shooting Winchester 100 grain power point rounds so I would like to stay somewhat close to this load if anyone could guide me along this path?

And just for the heck of it here is a picture of my Axis .243 I really love the gun.
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae238/mpeters0991/F8D3986D-8D4B-4B29-845E-04FD6342D183-2403-0000033C952C71F9_zpsde124e46.jpg

Silvercrow1
09-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Hi Mpeters- VERY nice rifle! I too, am new to reloading and the folks here are TOPS in knowledge, and willingness to share that knowledge.

One thing...I'm not the "Forum Cop", but as one having made this mistake I'm advising you in a most friendly way; you can ask folks to direct you to where to COMMERCIALLY purchase equipment, but you CANNOT solicit other members for items to sell or buy, outside of the classifieds. Ask me how I know this...(my violation will be removed next month...)

Theres a darn good reason for their rules and yes, you have to be a paid member to view the classifieds. WELL WORTH IT! I've gotten ump-teen times the cost of admission back in information and parts, etc.

Anyway- good luck! Keep posting and let us know how you are making out. Brian

psharon97
09-24-2013, 10:30 PM
For most of my items that don't burn or explode, Midwayusa.com is one of my go to guys for reloading dies, brass, bullets, ect. I like buying from them because they are upfront about what they have in stock. Some companies I've ordered from said they had the item in stock, then sent me an email 6 hours later telling me they didn't and didn't know when they were going to get the item in stock. Another source I frequent is Amazon.com. I've bought several RCBS dies off of them, and with AmazonPrime, 2 day shipping no extra charge.

If you're going to buy powder or primers online, I recommend buying in bulk. You WILL pay a $25 hazmat fee if you order these items. Some stores will let you order 8lb kegs of powder when they purchase powder. I would see if they can order powder for you. Otherwise, I go to some of the local stores for primers.

The purpose of the bullet will better determine which bullet you're going to buy. Target bullets work great for punching tiny groups in paper, but I wouldn't go hunting with one. If you want a dual purpose bullet, check out the sierra gameking or making a Hornady A-Max. Others will have their preferred bullet. Find one that your gun likes and go from there. Also, buy some reloading manuals.

nso123
09-24-2013, 10:35 PM
The first, and most valuable thing you need in order to start reloading is a good manual. I like the Hornady manual myself, but I own several of them and refer to them all every once in a while. While economy may be a factor in reloading, reloading is about so much more. You can fine tune a load to your rifle to get the most accuracy from the rifle, develop a load that serves a special purpose, and then get the satisfaction of seeing your labor work out. You need a controlled, distraction free environment to do your loading, as you don't want to make mistakes due to distractions. Decide what you want to do with your handloads, then post it up for us. Someone will be able to help you out and we can help you locate the best sources for reloading supplies. Also, buy a membership, it is worth it for the classified section and it helps the site stay up and running.

stangfish
09-24-2013, 11:04 PM
I will go with NSO but I think a Mentor is equally important.

fgw_in_fla
09-25-2013, 04:55 AM
I am inclined to agree with my esteemed colleagues. Without question, get a good manual. I like the Lyman book. The 1st half is everything you need to know but were afraid to ask about reloading, the 2nd half is all recipes.

And never lose sight of the fact you are assembling components to contain a controlled explosion that you're going to be holding 3 inches from your face.
Nothing to worry about there...

PS - nice looking rig.

thermaler
09-25-2013, 08:04 AM
I am inclined to agree with my esteemed colleagues. Without question, get a good manual. I like the Lyman book. The 1st half is everything you need to know but were afraid to ask about reloading, the 2nd half is all recipes.

And never lose sight of the fact you are assembling components to contain a controlled explosion that you're going to be holding 3 inches from your face.
Nothing to worry about there...

PS - nice looking rig.Wisdom with a humorous delivery--Frank is one of our best. I'm relatively new to reloading too, the one thing I'd add to these comments is that it pays to get to know brass itself and learn to examine it and interpret the "signs." I've even had premium factory ammo arrive with defects and fired them with near-disastrous consequences--that has taught me to check them more closely.

brtelec
09-25-2013, 04:35 PM
I agree that a good manual is essential. I believe that you can not own too many reloading manuals. The first thing I would do is go on Amazon and order "The ABC's of Reloading" and " Metallic Cartridge reloading". These books are invaluable for the novice reloader with no prior experience.

yobuck
09-25-2013, 05:03 PM
some day we need to have a good debate on the use of so called target bullets and their use for hunting.
im referring to ones having labels like smk and others. reading labels is one thing and watching results is
quite another.

fgw_in_fla
09-25-2013, 05:38 PM
some day we need to have a good debate on the use of so called target bullets and their use for hunting.
im referring to ones having labels like smk and others. reading labels is one thing and watching results is
quite another.

I have to agree.
I use 100gr Sierra MK's in my 25,06 on hogs so I can save my Nosler BT's for more important business. I've had good results, less damaged meat - not that it makes much difference. It ends up as sausage - and no complains from the hogs...

thermaler
09-25-2013, 07:55 PM
quite another.We can have that discussion--following the one on which is the best caliber. : )
I have a 6.8 spc carbine which I built and will eventually get around to working up some loads for it.
The 6.8 forum has some great members contributing very useful info--as we have here on this forum. For example, take a look at some of their load/bullet data at http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?11232-6-8-Ammunition-Reports-Data-and-Archived-info-photos. Very detailed analysis including Gel shots with graphic after-impact illustration and analysis. Be cool to see that here too! : )

yobuck
09-25-2013, 10:26 PM
i guess my question would be best caliber for what? and we could go on from there.

brtelec
09-26-2013, 12:25 AM
Well I find that for coyotes I prefer a 300 SMK at about 2900 fps.

yobuck
09-26-2013, 08:33 AM
Well I find that for coyotes I prefer a 300 SMK at about 2900 fps.

see theres another one.
somebody really outta tell this guy about using the wrong bullets.

brtelec
09-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Trust me, it's the right bullet!

missed
09-26-2013, 11:50 AM
Trust me, it's the right bullet!

all you can get is 2900fps?

pitsnipe
09-26-2013, 12:12 PM
all you can get is 2900fps?

Yea, but prolly out of a .300 WM???
And I agree, for song dogs, the bigger the better. Pelts aren't worth much around here. But calves and fawns are.

Snipe

brtelec
09-26-2013, 03:29 PM
I was getting a little more speed with RL-25 but 2900-2910 fps with Retumbo is the most accurate load in my 338 LM. From a 26" barrel I am happy with the velocities. Never had a coyote complain about the speed either, well, whats left of him.

Silvercrow1
09-26-2013, 06:34 PM
I agree that a good manual is essential. I believe that you can not own too many reloading manuals. The first thing I would do is go on Amazon and order "The ABC's of Reloading" and " Metallic Cartridge reloading". These books are invaluable for the novice reloader with no prior experience.

AMEN! I got the ABCs book and it is informative, easy to understand and IMO organized well.
I WAS more than a little FREAKED OUT when, scanning the book the day it arrived, that the author lost BOTH hands at 15 years of age using "hommade" explosives- since then he uses prosthesis hooks (!). But his story is so cool- went on to get an advanced degree, 40+ years of shooting and reloading...

I was not aware of the metallic Cartridge book. I'm of the mindset never too many manuals / handbooks also, so I'll be visiting Amazon again too...THANKS!

Brian

mpeters
09-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Thanks a lot guys I will be using a lot of this advice. I'm going have to research to see what formula will be best for my application.