PDA

View Full Version : Model 25: Switch barrel

Pages : [1] 2

Volstandigkeit
09-24-2013, 07:37 AM
I've pretty much committed myself to adding a model 25 in 22 Hornet to my collection. However, with the current production models, having a barrel nut, has anyone considered a switch barrel setup between 22 and 17?. I've been contemplating reaming my Contender barrel to a K Hornet to cut down on the brass walking/stretching, and figured I may ream the 25 barrel as well. When I thought about it more, why not get a 17 Hornet barrel to fiddle with as well? Just another of my meanderings of the mind.

sinman
09-24-2013, 09:11 AM
I haven't done one yet but I am sure I will one of these days.

J.Baker
09-26-2013, 12:57 AM
The main problem with your idea is that nobody makes a barrel nut wrench that fits the Model 25 nut as they're noticeably smaller than M110 nuts.

Volstandigkeit
09-27-2013, 12:30 AM
Where there's a will, there's a way. The easy solution to that would be to simply make my own wrench, or have one made. Having access to a mill, problem solved.

EdKin
09-28-2013, 03:29 PM
I think the barrel is pinned also if I remember correctly.

plinkin
09-28-2013, 07:42 PM
The main problem with your idea is that nobody makes a barrel nut wrench that fits the Model 25 nut as they're noticeably smaller than M110 nuts.

What does Savage do? Do they make their own wrenches or have them made? The tools obviously must exist just no aftermarket yet.

I have a 22H on a Model 25, for about a month now. Haven't done initial clean and prep for setup. Was thinking of doing it this weekend but I haven't picked out a scope yet. I am thinking of using the scope off my M25 .204, I really don't like that scope that much. I might like it more on a rifle with less range like a 22 Hornet which I only effectively shoot out to 200yd.

The scope is a Simmons 44 Mag 6-24x44SF. Every shot jars the quick focus ring, a common issue with the scope that I late read in the reviews on Midway. It holds zero and adjusts and tracks fine but for me I can never get a crisp target picture at 100yd. Out in the field it is not as bad but it is never as clear and crisp as my Barska Varmint & Excavator scopes. It comes close at 100yd. Under 100yd it is good. Would make an excellent scope for a Mark II or 22mag M93. At the ranges I shoot my 93 HMR I wouldn't want it.

I've been thinking of swapping it onto a Mark II Heavy barrel but I still would need a scope for the .204 and another for that 22 Hornet.

Volstandigkeit
09-28-2013, 07:58 PM
What does Savage do? Do they make their own wrenches or have them made? The tools obviously must exist just no aftermarket yet.

I have a 22H on a Model 25, for about a month now. Haven't done initial clean and prep for setup. Was thinking of doing it this weekend but I haven't picked out a scope yet. I am thinking of using the scope off my M25 .204, I really don't like that scope that much. I might like it more on a rifle with less range like a 22 Hornet which I only effectively shoot out to 200yd.

The scope is a Simmons 44 Mag 6-24x44SF. Every shot jars the quick focus ring, a common issue with the scope that I late read in the reviews on Midway. It holds zero and adjusts and tracks fine but for me I can never get a crisp target picture at 100yd. Out in the field it is not as bad but it is never as clear and crisp as my Barska Varmint & Excavator scopes. It comes close at 100yd. Under 100yd it is good. Would make an excellent scope for a Mark II or 22mag M93. At the ranges I shoot my 93 HMR I wouldn't want it.

I've been thinking of swapping it onto a Mark II Heavy barrel but I still would need a scope for the .204 and another for that 22 Hornet.

Ingenuity and creativity are what drives our hobby. I will have a 25 in 22 Hornet before summer, to have another toy to play with.

I'm becoming fond of Vortex lately. I love the one I have on my 06. I'll probably put one on my 597, the MKII I'm about to bring home, and the 25 when I get it.

plinkin
09-28-2013, 08:06 PM
I am going to have to take a trip to Cabelas sometime because it seems that is the only store to have a plethora of scopes and I like mine in the upper scale of magnification. On my Savage 40 I have an 8-32x50 and I really like it.

I'll look into Vortex, thx.

Volstandigkeit
09-28-2013, 08:39 PM
I bounce back and forth between Cabela's and Scheel's considering my geographic location. Cabela's seems to have a more varied selection, but the guys at Scheel's are more knowledgable and professional.

With Vortex, I think what initially sold me was their unconditional lifetime no questions warranty. It's similar to Dillon Precision.

plinkin
09-28-2013, 08:49 PM
I bounce back and forth between Cabela's and Scheel's considering my geographic location. Cabela's seems to have a more varied selection, but the guys at Scheel's are more knowledgeable and professional.

With Vortex, I think what initially sold me was their unconditional lifetime no questions warranty. It's similar to Dillon Precision.

The only Cabelas in PA is in Harrisburg which is the other side of the state (err umm Commonwealth) from me. We were supposed to get a Cabelas in Erie but the morons in "office" in Erie turned that into a debacle.

The closest one is in WV I think.

We are now supposed to get the new DSG Field and Stream store. They opened the 1st one in Cranberry which is about 70 miles from me. I have yet to get to the store. I might ride the bike out there this weekend.

Volstandigkeit
09-29-2013, 12:00 AM
Bass Pro?

plinkin
09-29-2013, 12:18 AM
Bass Pro?

In PA? I doubt it.

Volstandigkeit
09-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Well shoot. I know there is one just south of Baltimore, but that's about as far north as I've ever been on the east coast, so far.

teebirdhyzer
10-05-2013, 10:31 PM
I have one of the older model 25's. It is a "classic" with the walnut stock and high gloss bluing. A very nice rifle indeed. The barrel on it is in fact pinned in like the Savage rimfire rifles are. I think all of the newer models now have a nut.....right?

plinkin
10-05-2013, 10:33 PM
I don't know. I had read the M40 barrel was pinned, threaded and pinned & threaded. Cornfusing.

Volstandigkeit
10-06-2013, 12:26 AM
The one I drooled over last weekend was only threaded with a nut.

plinkin
10-06-2013, 12:35 AM
The one I drooled over last weekend was only threaded with a nut.

You didn't leave any DNA on it did you? ;)

Volstandigkeit
10-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Haha Not that I recall! My wife had to drag me away from it though. LOL

plinkin
10-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Haha Not that I recall! My wife had to drag me away from it though. LOL

There is a local gun shop that has a gun shop in one part of the building and a jewelry shop in another part. What a concept. If husband and wife showed up together they would starve to death LOL

Volstandigkeit
10-07-2013, 05:56 PM
There is a local gun shop that has a gun shop in one part of the building and a jewelry shop in another part. What a concept. If husband and wife showed up together they would starve to death LOL

My wife would ask where the reloading supplies are! LOL