PDA

View Full Version : Misfiring with savage 12 lrp .260

Pages : [1] 2

S1CKNASTY
09-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Broke in my rifle yesterday for the first time and it's already misfiring. I haven't messed with anything on the rifle. I have shot federal fusion 120 grain and federal 140 grain and both had multiple misfires. I'm planning on trying another brand before I flip **** but I just wondering if anybody has had or heard of the same problem. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/24/a3e7etas.jpg

stangfish
09-23-2013, 08:03 PM
I am going to paste the same info from your other post. The mods can delete the other one since this is the right place.

Nice rifle. By missfiring I am thinking failure to fire. Can you take pictures of the primer end of the rounds that did not fire. We can do some CSI on the primers. Being a new rifle it might be a good idea to contact savage but there are some things to look at. you might be able to fix some of them. Just for starters pull the trigger all of the way back, push the bolt release down. It should be smooth till it stops. Next, dry fire the rifle (unloaded). The sound you here should be a clear "Whack". Not an enemic sound. This is the firing pin going home. It needs speed. If it is not hitting hard, you may want to try and lubricate the internals of the bolt. Hopefully some others will chime in with more simple things to consider but for me those two stand out at the moment.

S1CKNASTY
09-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Correct the rifle is failing to fire quite often. The firing pin sounds fine and the bolt release is doing as you said. Here's a pic of a couple rounds I fired today obviously the 3 where the primers aren't punched in didn't fire. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/24/ehe8y4y6.jpg

eddiesindian
09-23-2013, 09:21 PM
For it to not strike "some" of the primers at all is something that has to be attended to by Savage. If it were mine?...Id want to take it apart and see what the culprit is.
Seeing as how its new?.......send it back...what a bummer.........
Man-oh-man....thats the rig Im looking into...its got the fluted barrel and the stock I want as well. Is that a 24" barrel 1-8twist?
Id love to have it just as your but with a muzzle brk.
Nice rifle...sorry about the malfunction

stangfish
09-23-2013, 09:24 PM
I have to agree with Elpaso eddie. Give them a call. The will make it right if it is a new rfle.

missed
09-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Have you adjusted the trigger ? I have had my trigger adjustment screw come loose and fail to fire. Or are you making sure your coming strait back on the blade on the trigger?

eddiesindian
09-23-2013, 09:32 PM
thats an HS stock isnt?

short round
09-23-2013, 09:42 PM
If this is your first accutrigger, you may not be depressing the safety lever blade before pressing the trigger. Will sound like it released firing pin, but trigger is blocked. This can be done by touching side of trigger & not touching lever.

stangfish
09-23-2013, 09:51 PM
LOL ...I never gave that a thought but we did have the fellow who complained all day long that the trigger was flawed because he liked to fire his rifle by pushing on the side of the trigger. Need to verify that. Yes eddie it is an H-S Precision.

eddiesindian
09-23-2013, 09:55 PM
If this is your first accutrigger, you may not be depressing the safety lever blade before pressing the trigger. Will sound like it released firing pin, but trigger is blocked. This can be done by touching side of trigger & not touching lever.

interesting........
so...... what your saying is that your trigger finger has to be placed as "flat" as possible on the safety blade while pulling on trig mechanisim?
Is this common of target trigs?

S1CKNASTY
09-23-2013, 10:01 PM
I'm going buy some other rounds and see if for some reason the federal ammo just wasn't working well. If that doesn't work I plan on sending it back to savage. I'm not looking forward to that long process. Here's a link to savage arms with the rifle I got. Hopefully that will answer all your questions about it. It's bone stock out of the box minus the bells and whistles I added. I haven't adjusted anything on the rifle including the trigger. I will say when it does fire, it fires like a champ. These pix are from shooting today at 100 yards. I was shooting a little high at first but got pretty on point once I brought the scope down. Just gotta work on my breathing a little to stop moving left and right. Also thanks for the input, I really appreciate ithttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/24/3u8are2e.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/24/vypeze2e.jpg

eddiesindian
09-23-2013, 10:02 PM
thats settles it......HS stock...fluted......260 Savage?
Im hearing christmas bells ringing with Santa saying ho-ho-ho.........here ya go Eddie....got this Savage just for you.....ololololo

S1CKNASTY
09-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Ya its a 260. My first bolt action rifle. I'm pretty happy with it WHEN it fires

missed
09-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Ya its a 260. My first bolt action rifle. I'm pretty happy with it WHEN it fires

On the accutrigger you need to come strait back with the blade before pressing the trigger. If your putting side force on the blade or getting the trigger before the blade it can fail to fire.

J.Baker
09-23-2013, 10:18 PM
This is caused by one of three things....

Short ammo and/or loose headspace
AccuTrigger adjusted too low
Side loading the AccuTrigger.

Since some rounds are firing fine and others are not I'm going to rule out a headspace issue. Personally I think it's an operator issue in that you are side loading the trigger on some shots and causing it to trip and engage the sear safety which blocks the sear from dropping and releasing the firing pin.

Pay attention to that on your next trip to the range and see if that doesn't resolve the problem. If not, try adjusting the pull weight up a little on the trigger just to rule that one out as well before sending it back to Savage.

S1CKNASTY
09-23-2013, 10:25 PM
I'm not sure what the pull weight is exactly but i know it's very light. I'll check to make sure I'm pulling it correctly next time. I'll let you know how it goes.

S1CKNASTY
09-23-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm really hoping it's just me being a tard and not pulling the trigger correctly. This is my first accu trigger so it could be that.

coldmaker
09-24-2013, 09:28 PM
the same thing happened to my uncle when i wanted to have him try my model 12 fvss. the accutrigger was set very low. i shot it myself without any issue over 200 shot, but for him it didn't shoot. he tried the same cartridge 7-8 times . i knew it was not an ammo issue since the primer wasn't punched. i picked the rifle
and with the same cartridge it fired right away.
i then turned the trigger adjustment screw 1 turn and he tried again, and it worked perfectly after that.
his way of pulling the trigger wasn't right

eddiesindian
09-25-2013, 10:39 AM
I can make mine "act" up by purposely placing my trig. finger at a 45dg angle. Ive taken mine apart just have a better understanding of the mechanism itself. the safety system works as it should but has some hick-ups.IMHO.... I believe tighter tolerances on moving parts of the system would defently help.

pitsnipe
09-25-2013, 03:40 PM
I purchased a Mdfl 10 FLCP-K Accutrigger last year. The two stage ("accublade" #1 and the trigger #2) trigger has made me a much better shot. My trigger pull MUST be straight back and level in order to prevent an Accutrigger sear trip. And mine isn't the target Accutrigger that you have. So yours is that much more sensitive to a "proper" trigger pull. I believe these fine gentlemen have you on the right track. And you'll be punching .5 groups at 200 yards and sending pics of the target to poor eddie (who has to wait for Christmas) and rubbin it in.
Good Luck and
Good Shootin!