PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Wanted..and a THANKS or Three..

Silvercrow1
09-23-2013, 01:59 AM
I've recently purchased an RCBS reloading kit and some reloading tools, powder, bullets, primers and have made a deal on some brass. I have a really good friend that reloads and has a good deal of experience. He is 20 years my junior, and has a family, starting a business, a child on the way; all that to say he doesn't have much time to spare.

I've read through the beginning chapters of the Sierra reloading manual- likewise the Speer reloading manual (came with the kit) and the reloading info. on .223 Rem. as this is what I'm starting with; also am in process of reading the "ABC's of Reloading". I'm above average relative to reading comprehension; still, I'd really like to have an experienced mentor to be there especially as I start out.

I'm new to all of this, VERY paranoid and probably overly careful. In anything I do I try to do my best but seems like even among experienced reloaders, there is a marked matter of opinions on various things. I certainly dont mind that; experienced opinions are or can be very valuable. I really thought about taking the NRA class for reloading- I'm a certified instructor in Basic Pistol, Personal Protection In The Home and Personal Protection Outside The Home, and if the reloading classes are as comprehensive as the ones I'm familiar with, it would be worth it.

Has anyone taken this class? What are your thoughts / opinions? The class ranges between $150.00 to 200.00; is it money well spent?

ALSO THANKS- to JW (Jack), Stang, IACaller and all the others who have been supportave and who gave good info.relative to reloading. I know I sound like a broken record (Record: big, black disc with recorded music, like a giant CD, for those of you unfamiliar LOL) but this forum is absolutely TOPS for friendliness, information and comraderie.
Thanks all!

Brian

dcloco
09-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Brian - Any class is only as good as the instructor wants it to be. Much the same as you, I hold multiple NRA instructor certifications as well, Metallic Cartridge Reloading is one of them.

I would interview your potential instructor first. Believe your gut will tell you if this instructor is the class for you.

Of note, I am offering this class, beginning 10/8/13 - over 4 different nights (2.5 hours per session) - thru adult education at the local community college - you are welcome to join us. :)

But, outside of the norm, and outside of the course, I will be conducting a range portion for the class as well. This is NOT part of the course, but will be covering Load Ladder, using a chronograph, and shooting fundamentals. In my opinioin, I don't think a person can teach reloading without using what you load, on paper, and reviewing shooting fundamentals.

Silvercrow1
09-23-2013, 09:42 PM
Brian - Any class is only as good as the instructor wants it to be. Much the same as you, I hold multiple NRA instructor certifications as well, Metallic Cartridge Reloading is one of them.

I would interview your potential instructor first. Believe your gut will tell you if this instructor is the class for you.

Of note, I am offering this class, beginning 10/8/13 - over 4 different nights (2.5 hours per session) - thru adult education at the local community college - you are welcome to join us. :)

But, outside of the norm, and outside of the course, I will be conducting a range portion for the class as well. This is NOT part of the course, but will be covering Load Ladder, using a chronograph, and shooting fundamentals. In my opinioin, I don't think a person can teach reloading without using what you load, on paper, and reviewing shooting fundamentals.

That makes perfect sense. PM coming your way...Brian