PDA

View Full Version : 7mm WSM

Seabeeken
09-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Did Savage stop making rifles in 7mm wsm? Can find 270 but no 7mm.

stangfish
09-22-2013, 01:34 PM
The 7mm WSM is loosing its luster. For some reason Americans are in love with the 270 moniker. You can't hardly find brass for them either.

Volstandigkeit
09-22-2013, 01:40 PM
I would have to agree Stang. I'm not a fan of the 270 myself, but they are a dime a dozen. Probably has a bit to do with Jeff Cooper's love affair with the round, and as such, no writer will challenge that. That said, but the 7WSM and 7SAUM seem to have had an appetite for barrels, which could also have contributed to the downfall.

Cycler
09-22-2013, 07:14 PM
I would have to agree Stang. I'm not a fan of the 270 myself, but they are a dime a dozen. Probably has a bit to do with Jeff Cooper's love affair with the round, and as such, no writer will challenge that. That said, but the 7WSM and 7SAUM seem to have had an appetite for barrels, which could also have contributed to the downfall.
Actually it was Jack O'Connor who was the earliest and most ardent fan of the .270. Jeff cooper is the .45ACP/1911 Guru.

If the 7 mm WSM eats barrels, the .270 WSM should be just as hard or harder on them. They have the same case capacity and powder charges but the .270 shoves those hot gasses through a bit smaller hole.

Volstandigkeit
09-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Actually it was Jack O'Connor who was the earliest and most ardent fan of the .270. Jeff cooper is the .45ACP/1911 Guru.

If the 7 mm WSM eats barrels, the .270 WSM should be just as hard or harder on them. They have the same case capacity and powder charges but the .270 shoves those hot gasses through a bit smaller hole.

I stand corrected about Cooper and O'Connor.

With the 7mm WSM, I've read a few interesting topics on 6mmBR about it. For whatever reason it has to do with neck length. Several long range shooters have gone to a 7mm-300 WSM that uses necked down 300 WSM or necked up 270 WSM cases. They lose a few grains of capacity, but have a longer neck, which they claim extends life of the barrel at the throat. Mechanically and geometrically it makes sense, but I've not seen it in person to outright substantiate the claims.

goinssr
09-23-2013, 11:31 AM
I could never get my head wrapped around the WSM or SAUM line of cartridges. The ONLY advantage that they offered over their counterparts was that they could be had in short action rifles. The weight savings was very miniscule in comparison to the cost and availability of ammo. So the rifle weighed a few ounces more and was an inch longer....big deal. I am actually surprised that they ever became as popular as they did so to see them losing ground is no surprise to me.

emtrescue6
09-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Oh man I love my 270WSM and 25WSSM! My 270WSM (Tikka T3 Stainless lite) gets the same velocity as my 270 Win with about 10% less powder and also has less recoil...it is a little lighter and I like the short action. My 25WSSM is the real gem...supershort action...man that supershort action is slick as snot on a door knob with 25-06 velocity with 10-12% less powder. She's a pile driver and shoots like a dream on the Browning A-Bolt Medallion it's on. I wanted to build a 25-300WSM for my last build but opted for a 257 Roberts AI...still think a 25-300WSM and possibly a 6mm-300WSM is also on my list eventually as well.