PDA

View Full Version : 6cm

calib
02-16-2010, 12:44 PM
has anyone on here shot or have the 6cm? i am contemplating the round, but would like to hear some of your experiences.

teele1
02-16-2010, 02:14 PM
I have one and have shot it for the past 2 1/2 years. I just love it. It shoots great, reloads easily and as far as accuracy is concerned it the most accurate rifle I own. I've got 1200 round thru it and Joe Hendricks says that now it will start to shoot. It’s a Savage single shot small shank receiver with a Krieger 7 1/2 twist barrel in a Medalist stock with a 12-42 Nightforce Benchrest scope. Now if only the trigger driver could improve his skill and show what this rifle is really capable of. I've shot it in FClass 600 yard matches and 1000 steel plate shoots. Snowman sound off anytime now.
You won't go wrong with a 6CM.
jim

Budweiser360
02-16-2010, 06:51 PM
I would have to assume you are using the 115's in the 7.5 twist. If you are, how fast are you pushing them? How is your brass life? This setup is really sounding like it is going to be my next build.

teele1
02-17-2010, 07:51 AM
well first off I don't have a chronograph but have shot thru a friends a few times. My 6CM shot anywhere from 3050 to 3200 fps depending on powder charge. I think the 3050 shot the most accurate. I have shot Winchester and Lapua brass. The Lapua needs to have the necks turned slightly. I have at least 8-10 loadings on each lot of brass and its still going good. I use a 6CM die with a .271 bushing and seat with a Lee dead length seating die. I'd chamber one again just like this one and will if I ever wear this one out. Check out Joe Hendricks posts on 6mmbr aka joesr. DGD6MM should also be a good reference for infomation.
jim

DGD6MM
02-17-2010, 12:20 PM
The 6CM is simple and easy to load for and to get great accuracy. Joe Hendricks Dad just re barreled is xtc rifle and at 5500 rounds he was still shooting mid 190's. That's not bad for an older gentleman. I will be glad to answer any question on this caliber, e-mail me your # and I'll give you a call if you like. At Manatee Gun Range I set 2 records one day with my .300 Lapua at 1000 yards on an 8 inch plate of steel. Months later when Teele1 and I built these 6CM's we took them to a 1000 yard s.p. shoot , I tied both my records and won even though I was told that my rifle could not run with those big magnuns. We left them scratching their heads saying duh-what happened. :D So far it's the 7mm's that give me a tuff time. I could go on and on about the small groups I've shoot and the good score's, but I talk a lot faster then I type. It shoots great fire forming and just gets better. I'll never be without one.

calib
02-18-2010, 01:17 PM
dgd6mm

have you ever hunted with the 6cm

i talked a bit with joe and he was saying that for laonger range coyotes, and paper i should just stay with the 243 loaded about the same as the cm. what do you think

DGD6MM
02-20-2010, 08:46 AM
No, but I will this year. I've got a Lawton barrel chambered in 6CM . That's the same thing Joe told us. The 6CM will save you $ and last longer with better accuracy in the long run. .243's are good 6CM's are better all around. When I bought the Lawton barrel I also got a new 6CM die that's just sitting here {hint, hint}.

calib
02-20-2010, 11:07 AM
dgd6mm
if i decide to go that route i will deffinetly come talk to you. how long is it taking you to get the barrels rite now? and have you loaded any lighter bullets in that or gonna stay with the heavies

DGD6MM
02-20-2010, 11:50 AM
David Bruno is the Gunsmith that chambered my Krieger barrel, He had them in stock and it was not quite a month. I bought a go gauge from Pacific Tool a couple of month's ago just to have. I install barrels with resized brass and tape but since the gauge wasn't to expensive I got it. The 107 Sierra's shoots good put for the cost and better b.c. I shoot nothing but the 115 Dtac. I have a friend that trims the meplat and and shoots the Dtac in a .243AI to kill Deer, he tells me that it recks them.

calib
02-21-2010, 02:35 PM
dgm6mm
do you know if david has any more in stock, and is there diffferent contours that he has

DGD6MM
02-21-2010, 03:35 PM
No, I haven't talked to him 3-4 months. Here is is shop #724-274-6607. Give him a call he is as easy to talk to as Joe. He is in PA. Verygood Smith- he is on the list on 6mmbr.

calib
02-22-2010, 12:40 PM
dgd6mm
if i was to go the route of the 6 cm what dies would i need just a neck, and seater, or what do you think? i am not planning on shooting 1000 yrd comp or anything like that. just wondering if thier is differnt grade dies or what.

then didnt you say something about having a set, what where they

DGD6MM
02-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Redding makes the die, it is a Custom-Type S Bushing Style Full Sizing Die. This one I have has loaded 27 rounds. To seat the bullets you use a .243 seating die of your choice. I use a Lee Dead bullet seater. David Bruno made my 6CM die before Redding started makeing them. The die from Redding is labled 243 EGOLF IMP, I was told why they did it that way but it is the right die for the 6CM. If you would like more info on the die Joe or David can answer better then I can.

calib
02-22-2010, 06:34 PM
in compitition and matches do you always full length or is there a reason for that. i thought in the same bolt gun you would just neck em then reload and go whats the difference between full length and neck in performance

DGD6MM
02-24-2010, 11:26 AM
I started using a .243 Lee Collet Die last year and seen my groups tighten a little. Every 4th fireing is FL sized.