PDA

View Full Version : Savage 308 target

eddiesindian
09-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Not sure if Im posting in right spot:

Heres some swinging targets Ive made from scrap I pic up here and there. Working at an automotive dealership has its advantages.http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x88/eddies880/Targetswimgers_zpsc443f217.jpg

(far left) 6"x8"....center is 1"x3".....right is 5"x3"
My favorite is the center. Its made from shackle U bolts from rear diff.,,,heads bolts from a diesel, and a piston rispin from a 6.4 Ford diesel. Ill put those from 1 out to 300. Believe it or not, I can smack the holy crap out of that rispin (308)and it does absoltely nothing to it.

stangfish
09-21-2013, 07:07 PM
I think wrist pins have been known to be made from tool steel. After heat treating that can get pretty hard. Nice job on all three targets..

eddiesindian
09-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Once i realized the pins could take the hits from a 308 up close and personal...I started looking all over the shop for a tore down broke down 6.4 diesel. I was only able to get 3 of them. Hitting that small one @300 with a .224 can be fun to say the least.
the rest are made from shift rails/pitman arms from gear boxes, and rebar. the 5x3 plate is a leaf spring spacer that can take hits as well.
I have these types targets from 100 all the way out to 1K @ 100yd intervals.....the longer the distance the larger the swinger. The 1K has an alarm system that youve seen before fish.
frnakly, Id rather have all 8"x6" from 5 out to 1K with hit alarm systems on all of them....aim small....hit small.....with no guessing if youve hit the objective or not. the alarm system will defently let you know....challenging?.......hell yes.......thats why we do it dont we?......olololololo

JWW123
09-21-2013, 10:34 PM
nice way to use up scrap these look a lot better than my wore out disc blades way to go

eddiesindian
09-22-2013, 12:13 AM
thanks jww......
I started making these portable because every one that Id made and put out in the valley where we shoot at were being stolen. instead of shooters leaving well enuff alone....they rather take it.
Ive compiled a large asortment of scrap to make targets out of. Just have to get one saturday off and fire up the stick welder and get after it.
I tried to find some disk blades around here but its way out in the out skirts of town and id have to cut/disassemble them right there on the spot. Ive sinse oppted to use leafs from leaf springs from 1ton f-350,s. good spring steel that can take hits. that and railrd ties. the ties are a tad bit harder to work with. I have to get my welder hell hot to get were Im doing any good.
theres a seperate valley where we shoot at in which Ive buried still/standing targets in concrete from 200 out to 1K in 100yd intervals..makes it a breeze to just show up, put up the wind flags, go back to the firing line, and have at it.............sure hope nobodies taken them...Ill find out tommorrow.............