PDA

View Full Version : raised tool marks on action face

jordan
09-20-2013, 10:43 PM
There are raised ridges all around the action face that i would like to take off. I don't have a lathe or access to one. So how can i use a file or bench grinder or dremel and ensure that i make the face square? Obviously there are a lot of ways i could ruin it so i figured someone else must have done the same at some point?

J.Baker
09-20-2013, 11:35 PM
Best suggestion I have would be to tape a piece of fine emery cloth to a flat piece of glass (hard to find anything flatter than glass), then work the action around in a figure 8 pattern to polish the face being sure to hold the action plumb and square in the process.

stangfish
09-20-2013, 11:41 PM
I have a fine, flat diamond hone but if I didn't I would do it exactly like Furious said. Something finer than 600 maybe. If you remove too much material it is possible to change the perpendicularity with the axis of the action. You just want to dust of the high spots.

sharpshooter
09-21-2013, 07:42 PM
It's probably already out of square....

stangfish
09-21-2013, 07:51 PM
It's probably already out of square....

Yeah, I guess your right. So what's a couple of windage clicks every hundred yards. And without a ground recoil lug....

jordan
09-21-2013, 09:42 PM
I've got a nice thick ground recoil lug going on it... Just wanted a way to ensure full contact.