PDA

View Full Version : FYI: This is what happens when barrels are not packed properly for shipment

Pages : [1] 2

Leozinho
09-20-2013, 10:33 PM
I was very excited to receive my new barrel today, though I was a bit surprised at how flimsy the packaging was for a (relatively) expensive item.

Opened it up to find it damaged.:(
http://s16.postimg.org/dlhhckat1/2013_09_20_22_10_44_446.jpg
http://s11.postimg.org/rv9wmigtv/2013_09_20_22_09_39_183.jpg

Mods - move as appropriate. I wasn't sure where to post this.

goinssr
09-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Really no sense in that.

stangfish
09-20-2013, 11:51 PM
I have recieved 3 like that. I now have a packaging discussion with anyone I purchase a barrel from. Mostly stems from poorly protecting the threads and not keeeping the item from moving around in the tube or box. IF people could see how carriers handle packages they would understand. Looks like it may still be usable but worthy of a discount. It would be worthwhile to indicate the bore and see if it is still round.

Never had a problem with a distributor or manufacturer.

Beekeeper
09-21-2013, 06:50 AM
I got my barrel from Shilen on Friday afternoon in perfect condition. The threads and muzzle were wrapped really well. The entire barrel was wrapped with heavy brown paper, then put in a thick cardboard tube and stuffed on the ends with newspaper before being capped. I was glad they shipped it the way they did due to how I've had packages show up in the past.

BoilerUP
09-21-2013, 08:13 AM
I'd be sending it back (at their expense) for replacement or refund.

Gotta give credit to Jim @ NSS; his barrel packaging is almost bombproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

devildogandboy
09-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Leozinho, I can relate to this, I had barrel delivered by UPS and here is the way it arrived. luckily the barrel wasn't damaged as it had been wrapped and stuffed pretty well.
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb379/devildogandboy/IMG_0079.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/devildogandboy/media/IMG_0079.jpg.html)

LoneWolf
09-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Gun shack did well with the McGowen I ordered.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

trailrider121
09-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Bummer, yea I now package things a lot better now.

davemuzz
09-21-2013, 02:59 PM
I just sold a barrel (actually all parts from a WW-II M1 Carbine) because my receiver went south on it. Yes, I was weeping when I found out there was really nothing I could do to repair the receiver. It was 60 years old and had just seen it's days. My choice was to attempt to find another WW-II receiver (gotta stay away from those "re-parkerized" one's), buy a new one (which just de-values it, or part it out, which get's me back about 80% of the value of the rifle.

In any event, when I shipped the barrel, I wrap both ends of the barrel in heavy paper, then tape with shipping tape. Then "roll" the barrel in paper and tape it, then shove it into a round container and stuff it so nothing moves.

None of that takes all that long to do. And the barrel's I've shipped always arrive safe.

I've had stuff arrive broken because of really poor packaging. I've given the shipper a bad rating because of that, and then I get the "dumb blond" response. Hey....this isn't brain surgery....and thank goodness for that!!!

FWIW

Dave

Dennis
09-21-2013, 04:51 PM
All three major shipping companies have gotten pretty rough with packages. Personally, I now "double" line the barrels and ship in a square tube. I have not had any issues since. I use reinforced tape on the ends as usually it seems this is where the problems start.

The ID is 1.5"'s. I went to 3/16's walls on my tubing.

We also considered shipping in PVC tubing.

3/16th tubing is pretty tough.

Anyone have suggestions for heavy duty end caps?

Dennis

Dennis
09-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Leozinho, I can relate to this, I had barrel delivered by UPS and here is the way it arrived. luckily the barrel wasn't damaged as it had been wrapped and stuffed pretty well.
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb379/devildogandboy/IMG_0079.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/devildogandboy/media/IMG_0079.jpg.html)

I packaged this barrel. The inside is packed pretty tight. I guess that's why the barrel survived. As stated, I now take this tube and put it in a square box which is again packed well.

I don't know how they are stacking these packages or shipping, but this one must have been on the bottom. Everyone else I have spoken to has started packing their products pretty tight due to damage like this. The claims process is a joke, so it's easier to spend 5 minutes more packing vs. hours of paperwork that sometimes gets you nowhere.

Plus the buyer can go straight ahead and start installing the barrel.

Dennis

J.Baker
09-21-2013, 07:19 PM
If you've ever been in a UPS sorting facility you'd understand how and why this happens so easily. Packages come into a local hub and are sorted, and distributed to different container trucks via roller conveyers. Most will look something like this with no side guards to keep the package on it so when employee #1 slings it down the conveyor to employee #2 in the truck it can very easily go flying off the side.

Product is loosely stacked in the container trucks - not put on pallets and wrapped. The only time I've seen packages palleted and shrink wrapped is at an airport facility and will be going onto a plane.

The package goes through this hellish process at each sorting facility and major hub it encounters along it's route. Trucks come in to once side, the packages are unloaded onto roller conveyors, scanned, and then routed to another container truck or delivery truck via conveyors on the on the other side of the facility. The delivery trucks have shelves in the back with very small lip - if any lip at all - so even on the last leg your package has a chance of being damaged.

Using round packaging tubes just multiplies these potentially damaging hazards 10-fold. Round tubes will never stay on a roller conveyor without side guards. Round packages can't be efficiently packed in the container truck so they usually end up getting thrown on top where they can bounce around a lot or fall a good distance. Round packages won't stay put on the shelf in the back of a truck that's constantly moving and going around corners so again it can/will fall.

Square or triangular packages work best for barrels as they won't roll around and stack better. Wrap the barrel with bubble wrap for protection, folding it over on both ends and taping it to provide additional protection for the breech and muzzle. A piece of 3/4 or 1" thick polystyrene foam in each end of the box is also a good idea to help absorb and cushion the blow that would result from being dropped on it's end.

Leozinho
09-21-2013, 08:34 PM
For what it's worth - I tried soon after posting to edit the title to be less harsh (nor did I want to paint with a wide brush and say all sellers are not packing items properly.)

I should have written "This is what happens when items are not packed properly"

davemuzz
09-21-2013, 10:42 PM
I think it's a good post for those who have not yet sold and shipped a barrel yet. After all, the UPS shipping "people" don't give a honey badger's drift of what is in the tube, or how it arrives.

Dave

Dennis
09-22-2013, 01:01 AM
For what it's worth - I tried soon after posting to edit the title to be less harsh (nor did I want to paint with a wide brush and say all sellers are not packing items properly.)

I should have written "This is what happens when items are not packed properly"

After all, the UPS shipping "people" don't give a honey badger's drift of what is in the tube, or how it arrives.

You might as well add the "other" 2 big ones as well as UPS.

USPS Flat Rate Boxes are the most abused items in shipping. I have seen people who have shipped 1,000 rounds of bullets in a medium flat rate box. Some one used about a 1/2 of a roll of shipping tape on the box. Unbelievable. Double line the box and tape very well, or split up in two shipments. My last shipment of "loose" 1,000 round bullets barely made it in one piece. Don't use peanuts when shipping bullets or brass. Foam padding is better. Or roll the bullets in small packets using plastic roll bubble padding.

FYI, most FedEx stores will make you a custom shipping box. I get them to make boxes for shipping rifles all the time and it's not expensive. U-line.com is also a good source for special shipping boxes.

The best advice I can give is to pack your item very tight in any shipping container. Newspaper works very well. Please don't use shredded paper, it may work well in some areas , but shipping firearm or parts, well it's a disaster.

Dennis

Dennis
09-22-2013, 01:29 AM
This is mentioned several times: The labeling and outer box markings on all firearms shipments should not identify the contents as containing a firearm.

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment

UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual. The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package.

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).
UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)
UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment.
Firearms (including handguns) and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally.
UPS ReturnsSM Services are not available for packages containing firearms.

http://www.savageshooters.com/img/1.gif

Follow These Packing Requirements

Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages tendered to UPS for delivery.
All firearms are to be shipped in new corrugated packaging which meets the UPS Single Wall Box Strength Guidelines.
All firearms are to be packaged in accordance with UPS Packaging Guideline Specifications.
Ammunition must be shipped separately from packages that contain firearms (including handguns).
Ammunition will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 regarding hazardous materials shipments, and must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials.

About Documentation and Labeling

The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.
The labeling and outer box markings on all firearms shipments should not identify the contents as containing a firearm. Labeling, including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label or air shipping document, must be non-descriptive.

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS

Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.
When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for information regarding firearm shipments.

82boy
09-22-2013, 03:34 AM
Anyone have suggestions for heavy duty end caps?
Dennis

http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_23&products_id=303
These are for a Remington, but I am sure that they could make then for a Savage, or could be easily made.

Dennis
09-22-2013, 11:36 PM
Good info Patrick. I bet there is something in the PVC world that would work, somehow. I have received several shipments and people have used PVC tubing and the inside is packed with newspaper.

82boy
09-23-2013, 09:54 AM
You also have these.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-parts-tools-accessories/firearm-parts/bolt-action-rifle-parts/barrels-accessories/barrel-caps-prod33712.aspx

All of my barrels have them on them.
Possum hollow will make them for what ever thread size you would want.

thomae
09-23-2013, 11:13 AM

I should have written "This is what happens when items are not packed properly"I was away for a while. Upon my return, and when I read your post, I took the liberty of changing the title of the thread for you.
Cheers,
Thomae

Edit: For end caps, I use various sizes of rubber chair and cane/crutch tips. They come in a variety of diameters and are available at department stores and hardware stores.

For boxes that don't roll, UPS also has priority mail long triangular shipping boxes: Inside Dimensions: 37-11/16" x 6-1/8" x 5-1/8" x 5-1/16". Might not work for a really long barrel.

https://www.usps.com/stamp-collecting/assets/images/aO-1098M-01-main-900x695.jpg

Dennis is correct about packing tightly. Cardboard and bubble wrap are good because you can get it packed tightly and the packing material absorbs the force of any impact. As Dennis said, don't use styrofoam peanuts as they can be crushed. Large pieces of styrofoam are ok if you have them.

Nothing in the box should move around when you shake it. If it moves, it acts as a hammer and will work to slowly (or quickly) hammer through your padding and the box itself.

(Slightly off topic, since this is an aftermarket barrel section) For loose bullets, if you have a dehydrator, packing in a vacuum packed dehydrator bag keeps the bullets all together and now you have one large item instead of a hundred or thousand smaller items banging around. If no dehydrator, use small bubble wrap to enclose the bullets and then wrap the bubble wrap with tape so it is one monolithic item that then can be packed in the box.

Remember that the packing material and the box are supposed to be sacrificial so that the contents survive.