PDA

View Full Version : New member - Advise needed

Bird Dog II
02-16-2010, 06:20 AM
Hi. I am now to this site. I need a little help. I have a Stevens 200, a first year model. The mag is apart of the action, so I guess that makes it a "staggered feed"? Anyway, I did a trigger job and put a heavier bolt mainspring in it. It is a .30-06. It shoots lights out. After break-in, it was shooting 5/8" group at 115yds. So I am sold on Savage barrels. But the stock, is well, junk. Period. It is flimsy and the gun kills on both ends. It REALLY kicks! I am not even really recoil adverse, but this thing is no fun to shoot. I have been looking at Boyd, B&C, etc. Do any of these offer pillar bedding? It doesn't appear that they do. Even the junk stock stock has pillars. The are flat and the bottom of the action is round, so that is not the best contact, but it seems to be working. It appears Hogue offers a pillar bedded stock as well as a full length aluminum bedding job. For cost purposes, I would probably like the pillar bedded one. I have a Howa with one of their overmolded stocks and really like it. Does anyone make a stock that will accommodate the fact that the Stevens action bottom is rounded where it screws into the pillars and the pillars themselves are flat? What you get is about 1/8" of contact on either side of the pillar. Not the best or most stable system. I have made it work by just tightening he bejesus out of the allen screws. Any suggestions there? Do any of the other stock companies offer a stock that will fit this gun with pillars?

If I get a Hogue, is this the right model for my Stevens 200 gun? 11105 - Savage 110, 111, 114 & 116 Top Loading Box Mag Long Action Standard Barrel Pillar Bed Stock

Thx for the help!

pdog06
02-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Welcome to the site. You'll find alot of great info here.

Look at the Stocky's Stocks website. He is an advertizer here and has ads in the vendore classifieds section. He has many different types of Savage stocks available. Their laminate thumbholes do not come with pillars, but are available to be added.

He also offers B&C stocks. The Medalist has a full aluminum bedding block but has a varmint contour barrel channel. The Duramax has aluminum pillars but also has a varming barrel channel(still not a bad option though). Then they have the Carbelite which has a sporter barrel channel, but not 100% sure on pillars. The Duramax and Medalist come with a very forgiving recoil pad also, which is an added bonus and something you were also looking for.

Heres a link to his site. Just make sure you get one for the older staggered action with a 4.275 screw spacing.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-BELL-%26-CARLSON-cln-Savage-DuraMaxx/Categories

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-439/Boyds-Ross-Featherweight-Thumbhole/Detail