PDA

View Full Version : New to the Site and got a billion questions

TnTom
02-16-2010, 12:16 AM
I promise to ask them one at a time. First through just surfing the site I'd like to say I am impressed with all the knowledge that seems to be amassed here.

Iv'e shot some competition looking for a nitch, HP XTC wore me out but had a lot of fun. Got involved in mid range events (600 yd) with a sling / prone and had a lot of fun I'm just not an AR enthusiast. I have a White Oak that has served me well (better than I could serve it).

With all the calibers to pick from I'm still pretty o.k. for now with the .223 Rem and dont need to invest to support it.

"switch barrel" guns seem to provide tremendous flexibility when deciding to explore new calipers.

I'm new to Savage and everything tells me Rem., Ruger, etc will have their hands full providing the flexibility that Savage offers. Another reason for a change in gun is I think its time to get into optic though the White Oak sites are super (understatement) I want to go to a bolt gun and have a fixed 24x that I will put on it (currently on my 77 Mk11 .220 Rocket and I'll be retiring it to some degree though its a bug-holer) I'll need the scope off of it.

I'm thinking I will go ahead a buy the 12 BVSS (1:9) or the 12 VLP DBM (1:7 twist). The plan is to shoot F/Open 600yd at Oak Ridge which is where I usually shoot mid range. My first choice would be the BVSS but want the 1:7 twist barrel rather than the 1:9 because of the bullet weight 77 - 80 gr bullets did better in my 1:7 twist barreled AR.

The VLP comes in either but I don't like the stock. Also are these floated barrels and should I plan on glass bedding right off. If I wanted to just buy the Action and barrel it myself who is the right supplier (can't find the SSS site I see a lot of reference to).

I really must start off with the .223 just to keep it affordable as I'm fxed with dies brass etc.

Who might suggest what in making this transition.

can I count this as question #1? (and Ace i've seen that mug somewhere before)

Thanks

Tom
I see there is a site for impaired and what should I buy questions - oh well

usmc_mwroseberry
02-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Northland (board supporter and has a big vendor for sale section on this board has almost everything.)

SSS is Sharp Shooters Supply

And I got my B&C stock from Shooters Discount

All three are great vendors.

If I would have read up more I would have gotten a receiver and shillen barrel from northland and then just got my stock from shooters dic. Would have had my whole rig for $50 more than I currently have in it and would have had the custom barrel I wanted. For right now I just have my stock Stevens barrel which still shoots 1MOA at 100 with junk ammo.

Good luck and I hope you find everything you're looking for,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

GaCop
02-16-2010, 06:51 AM
If your limiting your shooting to 600 yards, I suggest the 1 in 9 twist. Mine shoots the 75 grain A-Max very well at that range. I'm in the process of building a 1 in 7 twist rig for 80 grain pills at 1K.

Northland Shooter Supply here on the boards can fix you up with a target action and barrels if you decide you want to build your own or complete rifles. Become a paid member and you will be able to access the technical articles and the classifieds.

Glass bedding is pretty much a must. If you go with a target action, the recoil lug will be nice and flat and won't require replacement like the stamped factory unit on standard rifles.

Tom

McKinneyMike
02-16-2010, 07:53 AM
If you are going "off the shelf" I personally prefer the LRVP to the BVSS, mainly for the stock and the target action. The lighter pull Accu-Trigger on the target Action is nice too, but you may find that you want an aftermarket trigger, so this is not a deal maker or breaker either way.

As was also suggested, Northland Shooter Supply is a great way to "roll your own" and come out at a very similar price to the stock Savage rifles in terms of cost, but with much better barrel in terms of ultimate accuracy and ease of cleaning.

If you are a paid member here, you have an even greater wealth of technical information as well as the classified sections at your disposal. Good to hear that you have considered a Savage and I truly feel that they are offering some of the finest firearms available and they are a US based company to boot! Keep us informed what you have planned!

TnTom
02-16-2010, 04:48 PM
What is a favorite aftermarket trigger for the savage and is the Accutrigger something that most Savage users replace?

I was doing some about reading about the Accustock. With that feature is it still advantageous to glass bed or is it a substitute for glass bedding?

I don't think i've seen the enthusiasm over a particular gun like I'm seeing here over the Savage with pretty good reason. Not sure where Ive been in regards to this gun maybe just head some bad stuff about the trigger and discounted the idea of shooting one.

Old habits are hard to break.

Thanks for the feed back. I imagine I'll get signed up.

psharon97
02-17-2010, 01:07 AM
i can't talk about glass bedding as have no need to do it to my rifles.

As far as the trigger, I shoot the Sharp Shooter Supply Competition Trigger. Its the best trigger for the money, and one of the crispest triggers I've ever pulled.

dolomite_supafly
02-17-2010, 06:50 AM
Whatever you decide, let Predator Custom do the work. If you shoot at ORSA then they are local to you. They have done all kinds of stuff for me over the last 5 years and have been great. I get a lot of crazy ideas and they jump on it when other shops wouldn't even consider doing it.

Predator Custom Shop (http://www.predatorcustomshop.com/)

PREDATOR Custom Shop
3550 Papermill Drive
Knoxville, TN 37909
Phone: (865) 521 - 0625
Fax: (865) 521 - 0624
sales@predatorcustomshop.com

You won't be disappointed if you do decide to use them. Who knows if you frequent them we have probably seen or possibly talked as I used to hang out down there.

Dolomite

TnTom
02-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Ive put that address and phone in my log book. I don't usually get into Knoxville generally as far as ORSA and head back home just east of Murfreesboro (Woodbury). Currently plan to head that way about march 14th (need to recheck the schedule) for the 600yd mid range. Will you be shooting that day?

I'd make a plan to visit Predators but the shoot is on Sunday and they probably wouldn't be open. Does anyone from their shop shoot any of the events?

dolomite_supafly
02-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Ive put that address and phone in my log book. I don't usually get into Knoxville generally as far as ORSA and head back home just east of Murfreesboro (Woodbury). Currently plan to head that way about march 14th (need to recheck the schedule) for the 600yd mid range. Will you be shooting that day?

I'd make a plan to visit Predators but the shoot is on Sunday and they probably wouldn't be open. Does anyone from their shop shoot any of the events?

They shoot all the time at ORSA or at least they did this past summer. Most of their shooting is the 1K.

Dolomite