PDA

View Full Version : RUM action??

Savage Lover
02-15-2010, 11:58 PM
So is every model 116 the same action or is the 116 chambered in any of the RUM calibers considered a "RUM action"? Just wondering if the "RUM action" is actually any different from the other chamberings in the 116 line. And if it is, what is the difference?

Thanks

ctrout
02-16-2010, 12:47 AM
The 116s chambered in standard long actions like 270win, 7mm mag, 338 mag and so on will be a small shank sized action and barrel. the .473" bolt head chamberings will have a plunger ejector (push feed). Not sure if the 7mm and 338 mag are push feed or not. The RUM action will be a lage shank sized action and barrel and controlled round feed bolt head.

efm77
02-16-2010, 08:53 AM
The magazine box will also be longer in the RUM to accomadate the longer cartridges. Not all are large shank but most of the newer ones were. Some of the first ones were standard shank.

dwm
02-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Will the magazine cut out in the bottom of the action be longer and wider as well to support the longer wider RUM case and magazine box?

efm77
02-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah the magazine port in the bottom of the receiver is cut longer. I'm not sure if it's any wider or not but I'm sure someone else on here will know. If you have a 116 action that was originally chambered for a standard cartridge or standard belted magnum cartridge, ie. 300 win mag, you will notice at the rear of the magazine box when you're looking through the top of the action that there is some extra steel behind the mag box. I think that's where the extra is cut out to accomodate the longer mag box.

Savage Lover
02-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Good info on the length but how bout it being more robust? Are the lugs any different or the action itself contain anymore steel than a regular 116

efm77
02-16-2010, 07:01 PM
No other than the magazine being longer it is the same as any other 116 action. Locking lugs are the same. The bolt face is slightly larger than a regular belted magnum but it's so small a difference that either bolt head can be used to a RUM or belted mag caliber. All bolt modern bolt actions are very strong and can withstand a lot more pressure than what the SAAMI maximum's are for any cartridge. Where you could run into a problem is rearward bolt thrust but with a RUM or WSM it's not an issue because the bolt rim is rebated and the head is small enough that it doesn't cause much more thrust if any more than other magnums. Cartridges the size of the 378 Weatherby's and 338 Lapua's have larger heads and cause more rearward bolt thrust although those have been chambered in the Savage action as well. There are some that don't recommend doing it though. Savage has come out with a 110 in 338 Lapua this year but I haven't seen one in person so I don't know if it's any larger or not. I would bet the locking lugs are a little bigger than the standard and the receiver may be bigger as well. I would also bet that it is a large shank action since the diameter of the cartridge is a good bit more than most cartridges they chamber for. But for the RUM actions, the only changes were to the magazine and then as I said before they later went to the large barrel shank for a little more steel around the chamber.

Savage Lover
02-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Thanks efm77, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I love this forum ;D

sinman
02-16-2010, 11:55 PM
I have 2 rum actions now 1 is a 114 classic and the other is a 116, both are small shank