PDA

View Full Version : That one flyer

possum1
02-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Would anyone care to list what would cause that one flyer ? It doesn't matter how many shot's I make, 3, 5, 10, there is alway's that one confusing flyer >:( I'm trying to make every load the same. The only thing I can come up with, there is one that has a little more tight bolt closure ??? would this be the culprit :-\ any help would be appreciated. Dale

Fjold
02-15-2010, 08:25 PM
99% of the time it's me.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/DSC00369.jpg

Tightgroups
02-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Dale, thats a tuffy, and the list could be long, starting with the shooter, stock to action, stock touching barrel, bad scope, loos mount, cheap bullets, inconsistency in reloading, wind, bullet runout etc.
What are you shooting? Caliber, rifle, bullet, powder, range etc. This might help.
Mike.

rjtfroggy
02-15-2010, 09:08 PM
So many variables I not sure where to tell you to start. Just not enough info, give us a little more back ground and I'm possitive someone will figure it out.

possum1
02-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking myself out of the equation ;D Factory Stevens 200 switch barrel 223 NSS lug, H4895, Varget, A2460. Hornady 55gr. SP bullet, Simmons 6.5X20 50 scope. Caldwell Deadshot bag's. Waiting on stock to bed to take that out of equation ;)

stevec
02-15-2010, 10:27 PM
I can say that most of the time it is me that causes that flier(on my targets, not yours, I'm not THAT powerful!) :D ::)

Too much pressure on the stock, and not having the stock in the same position on the bags from shot to shot are my two biggest problems.

Steve

Tightgroups
02-16-2010, 03:00 AM
Frank, I notices the flyer was the 5th round fired (as noted on your target) so when you put the first four in tight, now the pressure is on, sometimes I dont even want to fire that 5th shot, for fear of pulling it off myself. So if its often the last round, take a look at that nut at the back end of the stock, it may just be a little loose.
Mike.

82boy
02-16-2010, 03:05 AM
If you ever have a round that bolt down hard open the bolt up and pull it, it will defiantly without a doubt cause a flyer.

Other things that can cause flyers, wind (Is the 2nd biggest) Light, (watch the clouds) Mirage ( Watch for a change in direction and never shoot in a boil.) Parallax (Get that scope set right), and last the shooter, this is the biggest. (Get conferable, keep your feet flat on the ground, and have a positive attitude.)

pdog06
02-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Good info Pat...

I agree, if you feel that one round is harder to close then the rest in that group, shoot another round instead that feels like the rest. Set these harder rounds aside and when you get a few of them shoot them together as their own group. Not saying for sure it is whats doing it, but it's a start. Try to notice if the tight round is the one that is the flyer.

With a bone stock rifle there are just way too many variables and the only way is to check them off as you fix them till the problem is gone.

EFBell
02-16-2010, 11:43 AM
OK, why is that "Flyer" always the 5th shot then? Huh? LOL...

82boy
02-16-2010, 11:52 AM

Brass

Something else with brass, even with top notch brass there can be deviations. Pay close attention to the round that is the flyer, when you find it pull that brass from the rest. Keep the flyer brass together, it might group good, with the other flyer brass.

pdog06
02-16-2010, 12:28 PM

thats where the shooter comes into play...LOL

When I do load work and try to shoot for groups, I usually have my scope zeroed and inch or so high so that I'm not focusing on the other holes, and so that my POA doesnt get torn up with the first couple shots. It was a simple yet effective idea that helped me improve some.

steveinwv
02-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Good info Pat...

I agree, if you feel that one round is harder to close then the rest in that group, shoot another round instead that feels like the rest. Set these harder rounds aside and when you get a few of them shoot them together as their own group. Not saying for sure it is whats doing it, but it's a start. Try to notice if the tight round is the one that is the flyer.

Excellent info! I have sworn by this for some time. The "loose" rounds group well together. The "tight" rounds group well together also, but the POI tends to change slightly, proving this point.

Apache
02-16-2010, 08:57 PM
That 5th shot nearly always goes astray when I'm spotting between shots......seems to get better if I shoot all 5 THEN look. ;)