PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: Bmag owners rejoice!

Pages : 1 [2]

Ed Gordon
10-19-2013, 10:54 PM
missed - The WSM is a definite step up from the HMR in terms of what it does to a bottle of water. I haven't used either on critters.
I have been lucky enough to find WSM ammo but if I lived where it was non existent I would wait to buy the rifle.

Volstandigkeit
10-20-2013, 12:27 PM
O wise one. If you view the early part of this honorable thread, you will find a link to "gladesarmory', located here in the Sunshine State.
Nice folks, too.

ron

Actually, I did see the link. Even checked it out.

JG26_Irish
10-21-2013, 03:26 PM
I have both 17 WSM and 17 HMR. I think the WSM is slightly more accurate at longer ranges 100-300yds when compared with the HMR. This due to flatter trajectory, less wind drift. So far, I have only shot squirrels with both, but they do a similar number on them. The B-mag is handier than my HMR just because my HMR is a heavy bbl and thus weighs a couple pounds more. Obviously, lighter HMR's are available to those who want em. The B-mag is butt ugly and has the cheapest POS stock ever seen by man. But that is the only model available to date. I prefer shooting the WSM as it feels and shoots more like a small centerfire rifle. You can even see the bullet trace if you are shooting longer distances and the atmospheric conditions are just right. When windy, you can see the wind blowing the bullet off center as it flies down range. I think the WSM fouls the bbl a little faster or a little more for the same amount of shooting. I like my B-mag but would trade it in a heartbeat for an upgraded 93R style rifle chambered for 17WSM. i.e. Nice laminated stock, heavy bull barrel, normal looking bolt handle, matte blue finish, etc.

Irish

n4ue
10-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Hi Irish. I have a Marlin .17 HMR, syn stock model. Wally World special a couple of years back. I also had a Marlin wood stocked model that I just recently sold. It had a BSA Sweet 17 scope, which worked well. Both rifles have heavier bbls.......
I picked up my B Mag (in a plastic case) the other day, and thought I left the rifle out!
Glad to see I'm not the only one who dislikes that stock......

Do you think ANY other company (besides Browning) will make a rifle for this round?
If not, it may languish into history...... I like having the .17 HMR, the .17 WSM, and the .17 Hornet.

ron

syvairgunner
10-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Went on their site today and it says: "This product is no longer available" :-(
Sent them an email asking if it is going to become available in the future. I'll let you know the answer

JG26_Irish
10-22-2013, 09:13 AM
17 WSM is a super nice cartridge. I expect that in time, a number of suppliers will chamber it. I would love to have one in a Cooper, CZ, or Annie. Before any of them do that, I look to see an upgraded Savage B-mag that incorporates some of the more desirable features of their popular 93R models. That is just too easy to not do. Right? Even a Boyd's stock would be a great improvement. I would love to have a nice figured Walnut stock for mine.

Irish

Seph817
10-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Hi all... I just put thise new bolt handle on the B Mag.
Excellent. It easily clears the rather large objective on my Redfield Revenge 6-18.
Only thing I did, was 'upset' the threads and put a bit of Loctite on the knob.......

Now for a different stock, bbl, etc. HA!

ron

1st post. Just found out about this place. It's great! So, n4ue, does the handle stop before it touches the objective? I have some Leupold Rifleman medium rings on the stock bases with a Revenge 3-9. You think I'd have any issues with this handle? Thanks.

syvairgunner
10-22-2013, 12:16 PM
I received a reply from Keven, Glades Armory, and they do have the bolt in stock. There is a clearance issue with the bolt hitting the stock prior to the bolt fully closing and locking. They are putting together a video showing the proper steps to fix the problem. With the video done they'll put it back on the web site. :-)

n4ue
10-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Seph817, welcome.I have no clearance issues with the bolt handle and the Redfield scope. Yeah, it's close and if you 'try' the handle will touch the scope. But, the stock handle did also!
The scope covers have to be removed before the bolt is opened, or just cock the rifle and the covers will 'self eject'! ha ha

ron

syvairgunner
10-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Seph817, welcome.I have no clearance issues with the bolt handle and the Redfield scope. Yeah, it's close and if you 'try' the handle will touch the scope. But, the stock handle did also!
The scope covers have to be removed before the bolt is opened, or just cock the rifle and the covers will 'self eject'! ha ha

ron

I asked if they would have the B Mag Bolts back in stock, here is the reply from Glades Armory:

Very shortly. I have plenty in stock, the issue is that the
installation requires you to slightly modify the chanel on the stock
where the bolt handle goes through. In essence, the factory handle is a
flat piece of metal. Our handle is done on a lathe from a round bar
stock. When you install our handle and you cock the rifle, the shaft is
a little bit thicker than the factory and it does not let the bolt
rotate completely right (it is missing about 1/16th of an inch turn to
the right). So we are updating our listing as it is very simple to fix,
but you will need to open of the channel slightly with a dremmel so that
the bolt will finish rotating right. Check with us maybe by the end of
tomorrow. We just need to post a video on how to solve the problem.

Regards

Kevin.

n4ue
10-22-2013, 03:56 PM
Hi Kevin, I have not had the gun to the range since I installed the handle. I just checked mine, and the handle is exactly in the center of the stock cut-out. Lucky (for a change), but it would be an easy fix. Just tolerances.....

BTW, the LGS called me today and they got in a B Mag and asked me if I still wanted one.. It was 'on order' for several months. I politely declined and they still (!!!) can't get any 20 gr ammo. I have one box but haven't shot anything except for the 25 gr.
Gonna take both weights and shoot them over the Oheler......

have FUN

ron

TechHunter
11-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Hi Kevin, I have not had the gun to the range since I installed the handle. I just checked mine, and the handle is exactly in the center of the stock cut-out. Lucky (for a change), but it would be an easy fix. Just tolerances.....

BTW, the LGS called me today and they got in a B Mag and asked me if I still wanted one.. It was 'on order' for several months. I politely declined and they still (!!!) can't get any 20 gr ammo. I have one box but haven't shot anything except for the 25 gr.
Gonna take both weights and shoot them over the Oheler......

have FUN

ron

I dont think the issue with Glade Armory's handle is actually how it fits in the channel. I think they mean that since it is thicker than the flat metal used on the factory part, it does not let the bolt go all the way down. I installed mine and had to dig up the trench on the stock so that the bolt would finish rotating all the way to the right. Other than that, am pretty happy with it and the rifle cocks a lot easier. It provides more leverage.

n4ue
11-01-2013, 01:02 PM
TH, yep, you are correct. My recent post (somewhere) stated just what you say. I had to Dremel my stock to get the bolt lower.
Unfortunately, that makes the handle MORE in the way of the trigger. At least with my 'fat fingers'... ha ha
Yes, you are also correct, the gun does cock MUCH easier.
How does your rifle shoot?
Which ammo does it prefer?

ron

TechHunter
11-01-2013, 09:15 PM
If I could find some ammo I'd be happy. This thing just seats there in my safe and is beggin for some ammo, I just havent been able to find any.

TH, yep, you are correct. My recent post (somewhere) stated just what you say. I had to Dremel my stock to get the bolt lower.
Unfortunately, that makes the handle MORE in the way of the trigger. At least with my 'fat fingers'... ha ha
Yes, you are also correct, the gun does cock MUCH easier.
How does your rifle shoot?
Which ammo does it prefer?

ron

n4ue
12-01-2013, 01:16 PM
I 'fixed' my GA bolt handle.....
I have been bugged by the fact the very nice Glades Armory bolt handle for the b Mag gets in the way of my fat fingers. So......
Today I disassembled the bolt. Put the bolt end into a padded vise and bent the straight handle about 15 degrees. One wack with a rubber dead blow hammer. It was easier than I thought. Now (hoorray!!!), I can get my fingers up to the trigger and the handle still clears the scope and is still in the stock's notch.
One problem down.......

ron