PDA

View Full Version : Mid Range Varmint Project

SlimySquirrel
09-15-2013, 07:08 AM
I have been sifting this sight for some time, Inspired by some of the builds on here and gaining very useful info from many members.

Over the past 6 months I have been trying to throw together the required parts for a Mid Range (up to 700Yd) Varmint rig by looking and reading and asking the typical newbie questions... thanks to you guys on here I seem to be on my way!

I had ordered a Savage Model 10 Predator Hunter Max 1 in 22-250 only to find out that it had been sold unexpectedly by a new sales person at my local Rifle Store... I live down in NZ so when it takes 12 weeks for an order you get a wee bit miffed.

This left me somewhat lost as all the research I had done was based on the model 10 4.4 action so I thought I may have had a few parts on my hands and no where to put them!

As it happens I found a used weather warrior in 22-250 that has become the donor rifle... It will of course require a new heavier barrel (Light Varmint) but I'm still to decide the caliber... it's looking like .243 as the 6br is harder to get here and I'm new to re-loading.

Here she is in the Choate stock with a "Floated Barrel" ....
http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/SlimySquirrel/Savage%20Project%2022-250/IMG-20130912-WA0001_zps84fca386.jpg
http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/SlimySquirrel/Savage%20Project%2022-250/IMG-20130912-WA0002_zpsd0d7fc1d.jpg

I have a Timney Trigger, Southern Ordnance Bolt Handle, PTG Fluted Body, Sightron 8-32X56, EGW Rail and Leupold MK IV Rings for her when I get home....

Right now she is at a mates place wearing a Sightron 6-24X50 for some testing and a DPT Modular Can until we see how she shoots...

Silvercrow1 Here we go!! I'll post up when she is fully "Loaded" with the goodies and ready for action.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/SlimySquirrel/Savage%20Project%2022-250/IMG-20130913-WA0005_zps111afebd.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/SlimySquirrel/26-75-thickbox_zps9cc3597a.jpg

scope eye
09-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Now that's a floated barrel, that's how I have mine also, with plenty of breathing room, I find it make a huge difference in cooling time.

Dean

SlimySquirrel
09-15-2013, 07:41 AM
Makes sense really!

I was thinking the XLR Chassis would be a better tool for me if I get started on Culling... I'm guessing that stringing a few shots together will require a more vented front end.

I'll see how she goes first before making any rash decisions !

storeyteller
09-15-2013, 08:11 AM
Apparently you had decided on the caliber prior to your gun being sold out from under you (mmmeh!) So why the change of heart now?

SlimySquirrel
09-15-2013, 08:53 AM
Well... a few things..

Firstly and mostly the accuracy of the 6mm over the smaller lighter pills at the longer range.. That of course ties in with the more Humane side of culling.

I could keep shooting them with the lighter pills but, well, I'm not that mean and sometimes we eat the odd Goat so it's easier not to be cutting half of it out with tissue damage!

Yeah, I could go 300 WSM but then that would ruin the budget (Re-loading wise) and I am thinking of getting a light Deer Rifle in .243 so it also means one set of loading gear and different projectiles.

I did make the decision on 22-250 based on the fact that the .223 was doing the job, but after much though and much reading I realized it may be a bit light but since they chew through barrels it would be easy enough to change up after the barrel dies!

storeyteller
09-15-2013, 10:07 AM
What kind of varmints are you targeting down there? Whatever it is sounds bigger than I imagined...

I love the 243. Don't think I'll ever be without one. It does everything from prairie dogs to whitetails with equal enthusiasm.
I had sworn I would never own a 22-250 (anti-establishment) but just recently got a great deal on a 12 fv. I was gonna use it as a donor for another 6mm but made the mistake of shooting it.

The reason I'm asking about the change of heart is I'm trying to sort some things out myself.

SlimySquirrel
09-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Exactly the point!

I'm thinking the Goats I shoot would prefer (Hahaha yeah right) that I use the bigger pill... It will be more effective at the longer range and as you say, I can load up for Deer also. I'll be looking to find a pill that has a good BC and penetrates well...

The 22-250 sure will be fun but it wont do what I want in the long run but the factory loads are ok for smashing Small Varmints!

Shoulda mentioned I'll be going out with this guy to learn about the "Long Range" stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CrPewYzc5Y&feature=player_detailpage

Chrazy-Chris
09-16-2013, 10:03 PM
HAHA! Ohhhh man when I scrolled down to the picture with the butter knives I just lost it. Ohhhhhhh that's funny. Very nice touch!

SlimySquirrel
09-17-2013, 02:02 AM
Hahaha yeah classic.

Would love to claim it as my idea but a friend has been putting her together and sent me those photos.

He ha a remington with the pencil barrel in a choate also so I reckon he thought that up then!

Silvercrow1
09-17-2013, 12:02 PM
WOW Slimysquirrel- that is sweeeeet! I can see you out there now-poppin' and boppin' those goats! Please do post a pic when shes got all the goodies on her! I worked briefly with a guy from NZ and he showed me several pics of the country..beautiful! Please keep us informed and maybe post some hunting pics on the "game" forums. I love living vicariously through others...LOL. Brian

SlimySquirrel
09-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Hahaha.... No dramas mate!

I'll be sure to take some shots for the forum... Should be a nice trip too. That time of year promises a few dosile youngsters and a few cheeky pea cocks.

handirifle
09-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Since you haven't ordered the barrel yet, you might want to consider an 8 twist barrel. Since you're planning on the longer ranges, there are some REAL high BC bullets for the 6mm, but they usually require an 8 twist barrel to stabilize them.

Don't forget nice optics for those 700yd shots. Nice to see where you're TRYING to put the bullet.:( :p

SlimySquirrel
09-18-2013, 01:08 AM
Yeah, its certainly looking like the 8 twist is the best candidate.

I have a Sightron S3 8-32*56 for this rig ordered so hoping that works!