PDA

View Full Version : New Striker 300wsm

yorketransport
02-14-2010, 10:48 PM
I have been looking for a Striker for years and I finally found one! I see them for sale every once in a while, but they either sell before I get them or they're just too expensive. This time I found a model 516 in 300 Wsm locally, and I beat everyone else to it. ;D I got it from the original owner who only put 25 rounds through it. It came with a silver finish Burris 3-12x scope in matching Leupold rings and bases, the original box, and 75 rounds of ammo. I didn't really want to buy the ammo with it, but that's the only way he was selling the gun. I got the whole package for $700. It seems like a fair deal to me when you figure that the ammo is worth nearly $100.

The first thing I did when I got it home was to take the whole thing apart and give it a once over. Now, I haven't taken apart as many Savages as some of you I'm sure, but I've never seen such a bent recoil lug! That's the first thing that needs to get replaced. I pulled the the scope and base off to pull the barrel, and saw that the front scope base screw was too long and jammed into the barrel threads. So I shortened the screw and cleaned up the threads on the barrel. From there I cleaned up the trigger pull to a reasonable 3.5# and put the gun back together. Once I get the new recoil lug and bed the action, I think that this should be a pretty fun gun.

Now I just need to start collection large shank barrels to use on this action. ;)

Andrew

JCalhoun
02-15-2010, 12:21 AM
Are you sure it's a large shank receiver?

Man how times have changed! About seven years ago I had one in .308 that I couldn't hardly give away. I converted it into a rifle since the very best offer I got for it was $200 with the Burris scope and holster. :-\

yorketransport
02-15-2010, 01:17 AM
It's deffinately a large shank. That was one of the first things I checked. It's a shame, because I have a few small shank barrels that I wouldn't mind cutting down.

Andrew

pdog06
02-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Let me know if you have any SS small shank barrels you wanna get rid of. I have a SS large shank 7mm-08 barrel(yes, large) I might trade for something.

Congrats onthe new rig...

yorketransport
02-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the offer pdog06. All but one of my small shank barrels are blued. The only SS is a 204 off of a Model 16. I'd never forgive myself if I got rid of that one.

Andrew