PDA

View Full Version : New Build for the Wifey. 116 lefty switch barrel.

Wildboarem
09-12-2013, 11:01 AM
I'm in the process of building the wife a witch barrel varmint/tactical rig. I just picked up a 116 flhss in 7 mag. It has the Accutrigger (will keep), hinged floor plate stock. My goal is to bed the action in the original stock with the only change being a new recoil lug ( barrel off, new recoil lug sss, new barrel nut sss, re-headspace, bed back in stock. That way if she ever wants to use the 7mm for hunting I can switch barrels and drop back in original stock and its ready to hunt (large game).

That's the easy part. The ultimate goal is to put a light varmit CBI tube in .243/.243AI for the 100gr+ bullets on it and have it set in a varmint /tactical style stock. Once the barrels are mounted and headspaced the barrel nuts will be secured and torqued to spec for barrel changes as a a bolt head swap. A few of the issues that come up are:

1. There is little selection for left handed long action stocks. I have a Choate Tac and love it, but want to keep hers a little lighter. A Ultimate Varmint is on the short list as is a Boyds tacticool ( can notch out for left hand right?) Most shooting will be from prone off bipod. I would need an internal magazine box and follower right? The hinged floorplate will be staying on the original stock. What other stock options are there? I've done some searches and don't come up with a whole lot. This is a budget build so chassis and Manners T-5's are out. Hoping to keep the completed rifle around 10 -11 lbs.

2. Want to eventually run a CDI dbm with AICS mags. This could screw things up a little ( not sure if there is enough wood on the tacticool to inlet a DBM.)

I know there are lefty's running long actions here that have had to think outside the box. Any ideas are welcome as I don't want to get stuck inside a box.

stangfish
09-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Wild, If your bolt release is on the bottom you may have to clearance the trigger gaurd inlet and possibly remove some material around the release tab if you purchase a stock designed for a side release. There may be other minor fitment issues but they are really not an issue if you have a dremel.

geargrinder
09-12-2013, 09:26 PM
I'd do the accurate-mag dbm instead of the CDI. It uses the same inlet as your hinged floorplate and it uses CIP length AICS mag.

It's what Savage uses on the HS 338 Lapua.

foxx
09-12-2013, 09:44 PM
I might not be answering your question... but I am left handed and have successfully shot right handed actions all my life. I have a few left-handed bolts, but actually prefer rights. Are you sure it is worth going left-handed knowing options can be limited and possibly offer no big advantages? Just something to consider if you haven't already.

Never mind... Now I see you've already purchased a left handed action. That's cool, too.

masterblaster
09-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Are you having a Freudian moment with the "witch barrel" comment up there?

Wildboarem
09-12-2013, 09:55 PM
I'd do the accurate-mag dbm instead of the CDI. It uses the same inlet as your hinged floorplate and it uses CIP length AICS mag.

It's what Savage uses on the HS 338 Lapua.

The original stock will keep the hinged floorplate, don't really want a dBm on the cheesy stock. Since I'll be running longish short action cartridges would the longer mags feed properly? It's an an option I hadn't considered I'll have to research it a little more.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Wildboarem
09-12-2013, 09:58 PM
I might not be answering your question... but I am left handed and have successfully shot right handed actions all my life. I have a few left-handed bolts, but actually prefer rights. Are you sure it is worth going left-handed knowing options can be limited and possibly offer no big advantages? Just something to consider if you haven't already.

Never mind... Now I see you've already purchased a left handed action. That's cool, too.

The wind is right handed but left eyed dominant and has always shot lefty. Even though she is ambi, her multiple right shoulder surgeries prevent her from shooting too much on that arm. The Manners, even though pricey is looking more attractive.

foxx
09-12-2013, 10:43 PM
The wind is right handed but left eyed dominant and has always shot lefty. Even though she is ambi, her multiple right shoulder surgeries prevent her from shooting too much on that arm. The Manners, even though pricey is looking more attractive.

That's all good, really. What I meant, however, (and I might not be shooting properly), was that I prefer firing my right handed actions left-handed (from the left shoulder). Maybe I am just weird that way. :)

geargrinder
09-12-2013, 10:55 PM
The original stock will keep the hinged floorplate, don't really want a dBm on the cheesy stock. Since I'll be running longish short action cartridges would the longer mags feed properly? It's an an option I hadn't considered I'll have to research it a little more.

I understood that you were keeping the HFP on the plastic stock. I was trying to point out that there is a very good DBM that will drop in a factory DBM inlet. Since your going to be using SA cartridges, you could simply use a regular factory DBM.

That's what I've done with mine. It started, coincidentally, as a 116flhss in 7mmRM. It has been a 308, 300wsm, 7mmWSM, and now sporting a McGowan 7mmRM barrel. All I did was swap out the HFP for a regular DBM with either the standard or magnum mag box depending on chambering.

Wildboarem
09-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Im going to look into the accurate mag dbm. Thanks for the info. Will it take the alpha mags?

geargrinder
09-13-2013, 11:05 PM
I don't think Alpha makes a CIP length. Only short, short mag, and standard long.